It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Putin To World: Hands Off Ukraine!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
With the worsening political crisis in Ukraine Russian President Vladimir Putin warned that the crisis must be solved without foreign pressure. Many suspect that Putin's message appeared aimed more at the United States than any other nation. What could be a reaction by the Kremlin that indicates they believe the U.S.A. is behind a campaign to install Ukraine's pro-Western opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko.

CBCNEWS.com Full Article

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday warned that Ukraine's crisis over last week's disputed presidential election must be solved without foreign pressure, even as European envoys returned to Kiev for a second round of mediation.

Russia's Vladimir Putin has openly backed Yanukovych � and warned other nations not to interfere.

While it was delivered in a phone call with the German chancellor, Putin's message appeared aimed more at the United States, seen by the Kremlin as behind a campaign to install Ukraine's pro-Western opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko at the helm of the nation Russia has always regarded as its main satellite.

But President Bush paid no heed: He urged a return to negotiations to settle the impasse over Ukraine's disputed election Tuesday and asked all sides to resolve the situation without violence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Could we be returning to a time of 'cold' relations betwen the U.S.A. and Russia over the political crisis in the Ukraine?

Would it be best for the Europeans and the U.S.A. to heed Putin's warning and stay out of the crisis all together?

If this crisis ends with the victor being pro-Western opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko, will Putin' then blame western pressure for the result?

If so what then?

As I remember our own election this year, I do not recall the Russians being critical of the results or getting involved in any disputes following the official election results. Then again we did not have tens of thousands march on Washington, and have threats of civil war.

Should we (USA) stand back and not use any pressure on any of the parties involved in the Ukraine political crisis?

Related ATSNN Discussions:

Ukraine on the brink of Civil War

Ukraine's Yushchenko demands prosecution of 'separatist governors'

Russian Special Forces Invade Kiev in Disguise

[edit on 30-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Interesting related report put up moments ago by Bloomberg...

European Union Steps Up Efforts to End Ukrainian Vote Deadlock

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- The European Union intensified its efforts to resolve the crisis over Ukraine's disputed presidential election, with missions to Kiev by the presidents of Poland and Lithuania and EU foreign policy envoy Javier Solana.

Solana arrived yesterday for talks with outgoing President Leonid Kuchma. Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski and Lithuania's Valdas Adamkus are due today. All three are on their second mission to the Ukrainian capital in less than a week.

Supporters of opposition candidate Viktor Yushchenko yesterday made an unsuccessful attempt to break into the Verkhovna Rada, or parliament. Yushchenko, 50, says Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych, 53, took the lead in the Nov. 21 second round of voting only by massive electoral fraud.

It seems that the E.U. is for now ignoring Putin's warning.

It would be interesting to see Putin's reaction to this news.

[edit on 30-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
personally i almost wish the anti-bush American's had been more active like the people of Ukraine are....just without the whole civil war aspect

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I think Bush should give the same warning to Russia, there's more influence and corruption on the russian side then any other.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
He better know his role, Russia ain't no Superpower anymore. Sure they got Spetznas but how many do they really have? Can Russia stand up to the Entire western world anymore? I dont think so. Another cold war would be detrimental, it's mostly posturing IMO

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Russia ain't no Superpower anymore. Sure they got Spetznas but how many do they really have? Can Russia stand up to the Entire western world anymore? I dont think so. Another cold war would be detrimental, it's mostly posturing IMO

I would not be so quick to underestimate the status of Russia as a superpower.

Another cold war would be just as bad for the U.S.A. ... perhaps worse given the number of conflicts the U.S.A. is involved in.. and potential conflicts ahead.. Military spending is now breaking records by the day.

I somehow do not believe these are empty threats or posturing by Putin.

The Ukraine is far more important to Russia than you may think.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well, this is looking more and more like the Cold War we have come to know and love. Two superpowers using a smaller country as a pawn. One of -if not both- the countries likely had a hand in the election.

It just makes me sick to realize that the cold war is still going.

DE

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
DeusEx, the cold war never ended.

www.thefinalphase.com

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Pravda
It is not the business of Washington or London or Ottawa to decide whether they accept the election results in the Ukraine. It is for the sovereign Ukrainian institutions to solve the process through the proper and existing legislative process, namely an examination of the complaints by the supreme court and the subsequent publishing of the results.

After this, the new President will be announced. It is a simple, clear process and the Ukrainians are capable of solving their own problems without outside interference from the countries who are dying to install Yushchenko, no doubt so that lucrative arms contracts can be delivered to NATO and military bases set up on Russia's borders.

Therefore the declaration by a number of western countries that they did not accept the result obtained by the Ukrainian Central Election Committee is ludicrous. What if the rest of the world tells the United States of America that it does not accept the result of the ballot in Ohio because it was rigged?

And who is Tony Blair to make any declarations, now that members of his own party wish to impeach him for gross misconduct in leading the country into an illegal act of butchery in Iraq baced on barefaced lies?

The Ukranians don't want any Western nations meddling with their election. None of the Western world, the EU, the US, Britan, Canada, NATO, what have you that have attempted meddling in this election should consider themselves innocent. Of course Putin will direct his statements towards the US.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Can't blame Putin even if he or other Russians did underhanded political deeds. Just like Ohio (USA) the Ukraine needs to solve its own political problems without western saber rattling.

What is America going to do- send in Karl Rove with some Diebold machines?

Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria next? America can't even take care of Haiti* what makes them think they can settle problems in west, west Russia? Haiti, Cuba, Mexico, NAFTA, 2000 and 2004 vote fraud- America needs to clean up at home before trying to show others what a clean house should look like.

From a conspiracy stand point- Russia could have helped cause the crises. America could have also! To use this as a 'welcome mat.'

* Haiti political crises

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   

personally i almost wish the anti-bush American's had been more active like the people of Ukraine are....just without the whole civil war aspect

I'm kinda dissapointed that the American people have let Bush lose one, possible two elections and still be put into power thru fraudulent means. You'd think that America, the poster-boy for democracy, would react in the same manner as the people of the Ukraine are.

Also, I find just hilarious how Bush is calling for reelections in Ukraine because there was tampering of votes and the like, I wish he felt the same way about both American elections.

P.S. Don't underestimate Russia...

[edit on 1-12-2004 by Kano]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

From a conspiracy stand point- Russia could have helped cause the crises. America could have also!

Russia most likely does have a hand in that region.
The US is definetly involved in that region.
The NED has been busy spending money on 'Democracy' programs in the Ukraine.

Here's were the 2003 grants went to: ned.org/grants/

I wish I had access to the 2004 grants.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDoaks
What is America going to do- send in Karl Rove with some Diebold machines?

I'd pay to see that.

I think the stance the Russians are taking shows how little things have changed since the "end of the cold war".

Then again what would we do if the Russians were to get involved in the elections in say Texas?

Gazz

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
EDIT:

I can't edit my previous post???
I tried to correct a spelling mistake and ended up quoting my past post instead.

Is there a new feature that puts a time limit on how long you have before you can no longer edit your post?

[edit on 1-12-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Are we all of a sudden interested in democratic process in another country or the Caspian Oil ?www.rand.org/publications/IP/IP198/

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
He better know his role, Russia ain't no Superpower anymore.

MAD sized nuclear arsenal and conventional power projection capabilities = retention of superpower status. Russia can't invade bolivia and north africa right now, but it can still utterly destroy any opponent and invade its surrounding territory and send forces (but not seize territory) overseas.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
While Russia still has the power to destory most life on the planet as they had during the cold war if they entered into another coldwar against the west it would be even harder this time.

Not only do you face the US but also the EU which will become a Super power soon in dealing with the west. So it would be 2 Super powers vs one ex-Super power.

I doubt it will come to this as Russia has already stated it would honor the winner of a second election. The EU also seems to be taking a major role in finding out what happened not just the US so this as legitimacy to these actions in the eyes of most of the world.

[edit on 1-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Gazz I see your Texas link and raise you a Mexico!

Mexican elections are chaos. Russia or better yet China decides to 'intervene'- then what?

Would the U.S. chance losing its manufacturing zone (China) because of a snit over Mexican elections?

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
update on Putin's politics:

Yahoo! News
KIEV, Ukraine - Russian President Vladimir Putin (news - web sites) injected himself directly into the election crisis in this former Soviet republic Thursday, strongly attacking the opposition's central demand for a new presidential runoff and cautioning the West against getting too involved.
Putin made his comments while meeting with Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma at an airport outside Moscow, as tens of thousands of opposition supporters waving Ukrainian flags and wearing orange armbands, sweaters and scarves rallied for the 11th straight day in Kiev's Independence Square.

I don't know what to say

new topics

top topics

join