It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA tweets for the first time, and it’s doublespeak

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Magnivea
sentiment absolutely shared….
are people just that hypnotized, wooed by their shiny, bell and whistle devices, that it's totally desensitized everyone, in a way, or what?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

I think you know the answer. Just search youtube for iPhone lines on release day. I'm sure the majority of followers are hipsters trying for irony but once they see that tweet or post about the virtues of Marxism, you're on a list. Against US drones and took a pic of one flying over your house? List. You see where I'm going...

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I clicked 'follow' to the CIA's twitter page, I don't 'tweet' much but I have to have some sort of presence in the Twitter dept as an artist.

I like that the CIA is on twitter and facebook as it will show another side to them, and the more that they put out in public the better, whether it is manipulative or BS or whatever, it will show how they are, their motives, for those that can see through the BS.

How would you know how awful governments are if you simply ignored the things they said, the stuff they put out there to the public is gold in terms of deciphering the truth. You just got to know how to read it.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

The thing is if they wanted these ''lists'' they don't need to join twitter or facebook to do it, they probably ARE twitter and facebook.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
yes, i know the answer. and yet, here i sit, at my confuser (someone else's invention, but i so like the word), like all of us. I think the cia joining twitter means little, one way or another, bc as theabsolutetruth just said, they are
twitter, FB, etc….
tetra

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

I clicked 'follow' to the CIA's twitter page, I don't 'tweet' much but I have to have some sort of presence in the Twitter dept as an artist.

I like that the CIA is on twitter and facebook as it will show another side to them, and the more that they put out in public the better, whether it is manipulative or BS or whatever, it will show how they are, their motives, for those that can see through the BS.

How would you know how awful governments are if you simply ignored the things they said, the stuff they put out there to the public is gold in terms of deciphering the truth. You just got to know how to read it.

I starred you in your next response to Magnivea, as you were right on with that….
With this, first it's sad to me, though, that this is the way an artist gets recognition and makes a living, but I know you are right. That exposure is just too important. And the fact is, we've long been at a place where you NEED a cell phone, a comp, and some of these accounts, depending on your job, to make a living and survive. All the devices now are embedded in our lives to that extent. And this was, in fact, the plan. As far back as Marshall McLuhan. "Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man" was written in 1967.

"The medium is the message" is a phrase coined by Marshall McLuhan meaning that the form of a medium embeds itself in the message, creating a symbiotic relationship by which the medium influences how the message is perceived.

Marshall McLuhan

tetra

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

85k likes for a single tweet by the apparent CIA? just whom are those 85k users?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Oh I never said I doubted that. It's just a smaller step for them to make.

Also, frankly, I don't give a damn about seeing another side of an agency that has done, set up and helped with some of the most gruesome crimes in history. I don't care if they post something funny or introspective, until they post the truth of the nature of their organization I'll keep on ignoring the grabs at trying to pose their evil in a different light.

I don't ignore anything. At all. Know your enemy. I'm agnostic, yet I know the christian bible better than most born-agains or people raised in religious homes, for that matter. If you want to push your beliefs on me, I'm going o push right back with facts.

Much like that aspect of my life, I spend a good portion of my time reading up on government agencies and government in general. I hardly think and information gleaned from 140 characters or from a facebook post are going to contain anything of value, let alone truth.

As an aside, how pathetic has the world let itself become when you can viably use the phrase "know your enemy" in reference to your own government?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Twitter has been around since 2006 and the CIA just now figured out how to use it?

And these people are literally in charge of national security.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   

I see it as an observation, if they are putting stuff out there, it is a communication to the public by them that hasn't been done before, perhaps they will be putting out stuff cryptically aimed at certain people /groups/ governments, perhaps it is some sort of PR exercise, in which case I would suspect motives.

Things like tweets can have patterns and a bigger picture, time will tell the purpose of the CIA tweeting and facebooking, maybe it is just PR but I doubt it, it doesn't need PR unless it's about to do something major. My instincts are that it is maybe trying to cover something, a gloss over of pretense that it knows more than it does, perhaps there's something looming beyond it's control.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agent_USA_Supporter

85k likes for a single tweet by the apparent CIA? just whom are those 85k users?

I imagine they think they are being cool or will be entered in a prize drawing.

Or something like "I don't trust the CIA but if everyone else is going to click 'like', me too".

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
CIA is now on twitter because fake accounts claiming to be CIA kept popping up. They decided the best way to keep people from falling for the fakes would be to have an official presence. For someone like me who spent a long time working with them it is amazing what a public organization they have become. Starting in 1990s when the new era of openess began in the intelligence community you could call the CIA guys CIA instead of a variety of vague nicknames used in the past. Now it is twitter and facebook, a different generation I suppose.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
saying stupid things on twitter can get a person fame and fortune. Society has made such progress.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Haha, awesome. Seriously though, there's an "unsuspecting public" when it comes to the CIA?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
ERM...I just don't get why an intelligence agency would want a public face...is there not some irony here..oh hold on...chuckles

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Just wait until you get a Tweet that says,

"This message will self destruct in 5 seconds"

On aconspiracy sidenote, maybe they have figured out how to make a cell phone overheat to the point of exploding.

It is all a fishing scheme, when the time is right all the followers will become " homicide bombers".

There is one to ponder.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Lol and they sing too...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join