It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA tweets for the first time, and it’s doublespeak

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The Central Intelligence Agency tweeted for the first time Friday and, no surprise, it was Doublespeak mixed with comedy

The agency opened the account Friday, along with a Facebook profile, too.

The Twitter handle already has some 215,000 followers. The intelligence agency has scored more than 4,600 Facebook likes, too.

Link

I think it more along the lines of "All your tweets are belong us"

"By expanding to these platforms, CIA will be able to more directly engage with the public and provide information on CIA's mission, history, and other developments," said CIA Director John Brennan in a statement.

Anyone think the CIA will reply to serious tweet question with a truthful answer? Not me. Just an attempt to make them seem nice to the unsuspecting public.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

That's so sweet. Their very own "hearts and minds" campaign…..
I can't wait to see the NSA, and even the Pentagon's "reaching out to the public about their mission" version of social media contact….

tetra50
edit on 7-6-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Bloody hell... I just don't know what to think anymore...

*le sigh*

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

I wonder if we'll get to do things such as "Like this entry if you want us to overthrow Country X".

Another thought:

If you "follow" them, do they stop watching your account or start watching it closer?

edit on 6/7/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/7/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Love how it's all a joke to them.

I guess it works though, right? Black sites, constant spying, kidnapping and murder.

Just make a joke and the public forgets it's real.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

All great questions… DARPA, as do most gvt. agencies have websites and so forth. When you visit them you get a nice DoD cookie in your cache…

If you give them a thumbs down, d'ya suppose someone knocks on your door? You could be considered a threat. We're joking about it all now, but with the NDAA, I'm not sure how funny it really is. Reacting negatively can get you an insurgent type of label these days, without much more than verbal objections in public to gvt. sponsored actions, like not liking wars in Iraq/and or Afghanistan…

And, of course, there's that "rumor" that the military industrial complex, on the whole, had something to do with the development of social media, vis a vis Facebook. Of course, they want people to "share." And the next thing you know, you've got a commercial pushing the theme: Share everything…..

I'll stick with my well placed boundaries, thanks.
Good thread.
tetra

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It's a joke the CIA has a sense of humour

After all the bad publicity they've had thanks to Mr Snowden they probably feel they need to mount a charm offensive to show us all they're not that bad and only spying on us for our own good , they just want to be liked...Bless em.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I think the reason it took until now for them to open their twitter account is that originally there was a bug in Twitter that if you followed the CIA, you ended up following everyone on Twitter. It took the staff a while to fix it.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

It wouldn't be a stretch to think they will be trolling for people who show up with an attitude toward them. Say the right negative things and you become watched. Look what people have posted on Facebook, as far as admitting crimes, which made identifying them easy.

The political bureau.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
it seems to me the CIA is getting ready to defend itself using social media as a conduit.

Methinks Obama is coming in full speed ahead,that 9/11 is about to be blown open,that the Power Brokers behind it are about tp be Martyered by the biggest fish out there.

I think we are on the cusp of massive changes and that the CIA is in deep water right now,no one is being caught off guard this time.

I believe Obama is going to out the 9/11 conspirators and go after the JFK conspirators in the process seeing as they are likely the same group.

I believe that to do this Obama needed to rally the Patriots behind him in secret and that he has now done that and is about to clean house in sweeping actions,I believe that within ALL Major lettered groups there are more Patriots than non-Patriots and that they are now ready to back their President and Country.

Social media is an important part of life in 2014.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Jesus guys.. you know the CIA is basically a giant bureaucracy, right? Langley isn't a master control center for the TPTB across the planet but a giant office complex with a few cool spots no one ever gets to see anyway.

They had a sense of humor for their very first tweet.. sheesh.. I'm glad they didn't do something half way serious. People would have crapped twinkies and run for the bomb shelters. I swear. (sigh)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not? Hopefully you are, because I find it hard to believe you actually think Obama is a Patriot. I do agree there are more Patriots than traitors, but there were more non-Nazis than Nazis, but that didn't keep the Nazis in check.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well, they do always say it's best to open with a joke!

I suppose it's worth remembering that even the CIA is staffed mainly by fairly ordinary people with normal hopes and dreams. It seems one or two have a sense of humour as well.

I bet the working day of an average CIA employee is boring as hell. It's all civil service at the end of the day.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: KingIcarus

I'd guess boring is about the right description. A thousand mindless drones working desks for the few guys overseas to do the stuff which makes news stories when it goes badly.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
That's hilarious.

Is it real? I'm pretty sure another hysterical one I follow sometimes isn't really God.

Do they like all take turns? Use a bot? So many questions....

edit on 6/7/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I always like the original tune
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

And on that note i've finally deleted my facebook, wow I feel better already. I did notice that you can request to have your account permanantly deleted instead of just deactivated just incase you don't know, though i highly doubt it gets permanantly deleted maybe they mean flagged and permanantly archived but luckily i hardly used fb anyway.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I am just wondering...what are their (angles)? All the (hidden agendas) they must have...what are their (real plans) regarding joining (social websites)?

Does anyone know?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I don't know how twitter works but are they allowed to select which tweets go onto it's page as a reply to the first one? It seems like a PR stunt with no negative tweets in response... or are people just really naive enough to believe the CIA isn't working on US soil?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
poke delete this mod.
edit on 7-6-2014 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join