It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Fukushima crisis affecting your seafood consumption?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
The US, France and the UK from 1950s on spent decades dropping over 300 nuclear weapons in the Pacific and now people are worried about seafood because of an accident in Japan that did______ equal the release of one of those 300 weapons? I am pretty sure if everybody who has been eating it over the last several decades is_____ ok you will_____be to.

I think you left out the word 'not' a few times.

edit on -05:0047146572014-06-08T07:57:47-05:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I tend to seek out salmon from the North Atlantic.

Haven't consumed much crab ever and less now.

Am not as strict about avoiding possible gulf and pacific stuff as I probably should be but much more so than ever.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Pacific Pelican population plummeting.

enenews.com... or-less-the-bottom-dropped-out

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The Tokyo Tuna Market experienced a 95% reduction in the price of Pacific Tuna this year, despite a massive decline in numbers.
news.yahoo.com...

Japanese are refusing to eat the stuff.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Remember folks,,,, comparing potassium-40 found in banana's, potato's, carrots, etc to Cesium 137... is kinda like comparing being hit in the chest with a spit wad to being shot in the chest with a 44 magnum hollow point.

There is no comparison between the two for realistic purposes, other than it allows pro nukers to make the "claim" that radiation is safe because you eat it everyday and they know that 99.99% of the people won't research the claim to determine the facts.

Yes they are both radioactive, but that's the only thing they have in common.
edit on R282014-06-09T11:28:41-05:00k286Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R552014-06-09T11:55:28-05:00k556Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I was really hoping the price of seafood would have come down when people stopped buying so much due to radiation concerns, but it hasn't so I guess it's just the few hard core scare mongers who have cut back. MAybe I'll join the fearmongers and go down to my local dock with a plackard warning everyone not to eat the seafood. Er, or maybe not, I think some of those fish boat deck hands might have a spare anchor they'd like to lose overboard, with me attached to it. Seriously though, tell everyone you can to stop eating all Pacific seafood, it will make you very sick and kill you in horrible ways.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN
I was really hoping the price of seafood would have come down when people stopped buying so much due to radiation concerns, but it hasn't so I guess it's just the few hard core scare mongers who have cut back. MAybe I'll join the fearmongers and go down to my local dock with a plackard warning everyone not to eat the seafood. Er, or maybe not, I think some of those fish boat deck hands might have a spare anchor they'd like to lose overboard, with me attached to it. Seriously though, tell everyone you can to stop eating all Pacific seafood, it will make you very sick and kill you in horrible ways.

The first bodily function to go is cognitive ability.

This from the 2nd last post describes a 95% drop in Tuna prices at the worlds biggest tuna auction.
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Cherry-pick why don't we? That was for the price of Bluefin, which the Japanese elite like for their Sushi, and had driven the price to stupid levels. The ordinarmy mans tuna, Yellowfin, has seen higher demands and prices, as has Pacific Salmon.
And where (yawn) is this blast of radiation that was supposed to batter the West Coast in, oh, April I think it was. Well were into June already and it still hasn't shown up. Maybe it took a detour to do a little sight-seeing on the way? What a joke.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN

And where (yawn) is this blast of radiation that was supposed to batter the West Coast in, oh, April I think it was. Well were into June already and it still hasn't shown up. Maybe it took a detour to do a little sight-seeing on the way? What a joke.

Laugh all the way to the Oncology department.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
personally i hate seafood, so i don't eat it myself, yet those in my household eat a fair amount. considering i am on a Pacific island it is not much of a surprise considering fish, both freshwater and salt water normally comprises a huge part of people's diet here especially for the poor. the beef here is pretty inedible mostly being the proverbial old bull that can no longer work and not aged at all (normally killed the morning you buy it) so it is super tough. Australian and American beef is available but rather pricy. there is a lot of chicken and pork, but most people still rely on fish for most of their diet. i would hate to think what would happen if fish from the ocean became inedible, the result would be severe for most people.

wish i had a Geiger counter i could use to check and see if the fish is radioactive. i would think being closer to Japan, we would be far more effected than in North America.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik. i would think being closer to Japan, we would be far more effected than in North America.

Not necessarily. Being downwind or down current is the biggest factor.

Islands in the southern hemisphere may be closer to Japan but are less effected than north america.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Reply to: openminded2011

Hi, openminded201...4?

Is the Fukushima crisis affecting your seafood consumption?

Yes.

And on top of not eating stuff from the Pacific, we:
do not eat stuff from USA,
do not eat stuff from China,
do not eat or use stuff using fluor,
do not eat stuff using Aspartame, Nutrasweet, Splanda and similars,
do not eat stuff using GMO,OGM,
do not eat stuff using MSG,GMS,
do not eat stuff using colors,
do not eat stuff using . . .etc. . .
do not eat in junk food's restos type. . .

We now DO eat organic, almost 100%.
We buy it in our IGA's organic portion, and
in 2 stores named AVRIL and TAU.

Eating almost no bad chemicals, we should live to 100 years old !?! B-)

Blue skies.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
A few months ago, Fukushima came back to the center of my attention, and, with that, I started taking notice of reports of the hazards of nuclear waste and of reports of all the ocean dumping of such waste that has gone on around the world by governments including ours for many decades.

And, so, I now no longer consume seafood of any kind.

Not only that, but I have sworn off nutritional supplements whose origin is the sea.

I had taken advantage of a two-for-one deal at Walgreens for cod liver oil. I hardly touched it before setting it aside. I very recently read about the contamination of the Irish Sea, renowned for being one of the most radioactive sites on Earth, and, with that report, came a map of where the ocean currents were carrying that contamination: right to the coast of Norway where they rely on cod liver oil for their vitamin D needs.

You know, there are suppliers of things like krill oil and calamari oil who make claims that their supplies come from the most pristine ocean waters, but, while I am sure that some areas of the ocean are more pure than others, is any area of the oceans at this time really pure enough?

Not only am I not consuming the cod liver oil, I have sworn off Norwegian sardines for the same reason (plus the fact that I heard that Pacific sardines are contaminated).

And so, I err on the side of caution, and for me NO MORE SEAFOOD; NO MORE MARINE-ORIGIN SUPPLEMENTS.

By the way, seaweed is reputed to be a good remedy for radiation sickness, but I am hearing that seaweed, most notably, kelp, is, itself, contaminated with radionuclides.

P.M.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It's just getting worse.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

I don't think I'd want to be living in the Tokyo area these days.
I live south of Tokyo and yes, the sushi houses are still packed to capacity here.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
It's just getting worse.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

I don't think I'd want to be living in the Tokyo area these days.
I live south of Tokyo and yes, the sushi houses are still packed to capacity here.

How long do you think Tokyo can maintain the pretense that it will be hosting the 2020 Olympics?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
No.

I stopped eating seafood over a decade ago except the rare occasion.

I get molecularity distilled fish oil 1-2x a day, and that's good enough to keep me healthy and strong.

I'm not particularly concerned about Fuku, and think those who are focused on this one mostly non-event are paranoid and ignorant.

I'm more concerned about the overall pollution for the last 100+ years.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
No.

I stopped eating seafood over a decade ago except the rare occasion.

I get molecularity distilled fish oil 1-2x a day, and that's good enough to keep me healthy and strong.

I'm not particularly concerned about Fuku, and think those who are focused on this one mostly non-event are paranoid and ignorant.

I'm more concerned about the overall pollution for the last 100+ years.

If you're going to use terms like "molecularity distilled fish oil" you might want to re-think referring to others as "ignorant".

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

No thank you I can read between the term.

: distillation that is carried out under a high vacuum in an apparatus so designed as to permit molecules escaping from the warm liquid to reach the cooled surface of the condenser before colliding with other molecules and consequently returning to the liquid and that is used in the purification of substances of low volatility (as in the separation of vitamin A and vitamin E from fish-liver oils)
Link

Oh wait, you're being a spelling nazi!

LOL, I thought they were laughed out of existence last decade. Oh man, some people really are foolish.
edit on 25-6-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I eat the same amount of seafood as I always have. None, because it is too expensive. Well, every now and then I go to a crab feast and eat a bunch of steamed crabs with Old Bay on them (it's a Baltimore thing).

Though I will say that the fukushima thing isn't making me eat less seafood. If I could afford it, I'd eat more of it. I especially love shellfish of all types.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

No, I just find it humorous when the illiterate accuse others of igorance (sic).

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join