It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A great way to make use of kitchen waste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I was given a bottle of this homemade cleaning product made simply from fruit and veg peels, sugar and water. And I love it. Since I started using it in my household I practically stopped buying any supermarket, super expensive, super toxic cleaning agents. Except for vinegar which is still the best for cleaning windows. We are encouraged to recycle bio waste anyway so why not make good use of it and do something good for the environment. I just finished my first batch of it (it toook 3 months to ferment, but worth the wait). Link below with recipe. It's also good as insect repellent and pesticide. And all free!
www.thediysecrets.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I have a feeling I'm going to try that out.

Thanks for the heads up,

Cody

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm all for natural repellants! Not sure about the cleaning abilities, but willing to give it a try!
Now I have to try and find some black sugar.....

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
I'm all for natural repellants! Not sure about the cleaning abilities, but willing to give it a try!
Now I have to try and find some black sugar.....

Oh just use plain sugar, I did. We can't do everything organic, unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I use this and its great. Except i only use lemon peels. You are basically making vinegar. It does take a while but you get them started in cycles and you will always have some on hand. I get a steady supply of lemon peels from a bartender friend of mine who showed me this.

If your not used to cleaning with vineger, the smell can take some getting used too, but the lemon smell is pretty strong.

I was pretty surprised with it's ability to cut through and break down grease. Def worth the effort and it's as good as anything you could buy in the cleaning isle except it's free which makes it better.
edit on 7-6-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It's basically jail wine. I never would have thought to use it for cleaning.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
I use this and its great. Except i only use lemon peels. You are basically making vinegar. It does take a while but you get them started in cycles and you will always have some on hand. I get a steady supply of lemon peels from a bartender friend of mine who showed me this.

If your not used to cleaning with vineger, the smell can take some getting used too, but the lemon smell is pretty strong.

I was pretty surprised with it's ability to cut through and b_javascript:icon('
')reak down grease. Def worth the effort and it's as good as anything you could buy in the cleaning isle except it's free which makes it better.

Glad to hear it's already found its way in.Yes I used citric fruits in mine as well, it actually smells like fruit juice.
Forgot to mention it's good to open the lid oce a day for an hour, helps the process. And naturally it develops faster when temperatures rise. Just as compost does.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: priestess22

Good recipe to know. I use vinegar for cleaning everything, it has no smell after a few minuets and disinfects, kills molds each job just varies on the water amount added.

What is the recipe?
1) 3 kg Kitchen Waste (Left-over fruits or fruit peels, and vegetables.)
2) 1 kg Black Sugar (It is commonly used to brew with chinese herbs and sometimes for baking cakes. You can purchase Black Sugar from stores or supermarkets that sell dried goods.)
3) 10 litres Water
Reduce or increase the amounts proportionately according to your desire.

Vinegar is certainly inexpensive, non-toxic and biodegradable. But does it really kill household germs?

The answer is a qualified 'yes'. It's not as effective as commercial cleaners but it's still a useful disinfectant.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: priestess22

Sounds a bit like a particular brand of fizzy drink also used for cleaning, bet they won't be renaming it ''Garbage Enzyme'' imagine that painted on the trucks at Christmas!

top topics

join