It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a youtube video search

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Im sure almost everyone with a few threads under their belts has accidentally created a thread based on a video only to find that it has been posted before, sometimes multiple times. Many times the person making the thread has done a search first to see if it has already been posted but not found any results.

Quite simply we need to be able to put the youtube video number into the ATS search engine to check.

Cutting down on duplicate threads containing videos will save on ATS server space and will result in less disappointed content contributors who have their threads shut down through no fault of their own.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Yeah the search engine isn't perfect at finding what you're looking for...

but luckily most members here are perfect at calling out others on their duplicate thread topics and posted vids. Never fails!

edit on 7-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I don't know if it's possible to do, but I really applaud the suggestion. It would link us to existing threads on the subject. It would also reinforce the confidence of those who hesitate to post for the reason you mentioned.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I designed something like this years ago for my forum, it even gave a RSS feed you could subscribe too without having to go to the thread.

Say when anyone came to the thread and watched the video it would play it in a box and the box code would put it into a database. it would grab the name of the video and description.

Its quite easy to do...

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
You can use googles advanced search terms to preform the same task.

Example:

site:abovetopsecret.com intext:videoNumber

Keep the spacing exactly the same and pop that into a google search. Of couse you switch out the videoNumber for a real number.

How it works:

you're telling google that you want to filter all the sites and return only those that are from the ATS domain. Intext means that you are searching the text of the pages in those results for the video number you want.

there are many, many more terms you can use. Here is a list of some from Google. Here are a couple more unlisted ones: inurl: filetype:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rockn82

The google search egine isn't live and can take awhile to crawl ATS..

I have noticed some threads to take a hour to show on google search.

The OP is talking about a live database that can be searched upon.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: amraks

The google search egine isn't live and can take awhile to crawl ATS..

I have noticed some threads to take a hour to show on google search.

The OP is talking about a live database that can be searched upon.

LOL, well forgive my derpyness-ness. I guess I read that as the OP looking for a way to see if a video had been posted in the past. I wasn't thinking immediately (literally and figuratively).
That could be accomplished by ATS database staff with a very quick "LIKE" query. would take about 10 mins to incorporate.

I agree though, I see a lot of posts that are duplicates when scanning over the "new" stuff. I also see a lot of complaints that people actually searched before they posted and nothing turned up. A better search would make less work for mods and keep the database much smaller. You can't really delete stuff from a database unless you don't care about its integrity.
edit on 7-6-2014 by rockn82 because: I need coffees

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I think the real reason why we won't see a site based search is because of the vulnerability of them being denial of service attacked.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: amraks

Huh? Can you elaborate on how this particular function would make them more vulnerable? Sorry not to be as tech savvy, but I would appreciate a clearer explanation. TIA

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

When you enter a search term it needs to search a database to give back the results, if doing this with lots of queries at the same time this creates lots of strain on the server blocking other users from loading webpages.

How they achieve this is zombie computers, machines that have been exploited to control from a single computer.

Denial of service attack.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join