It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Walker High School students defy ACLU, include Christian song and prayer in graduation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Say what you will. Whether the school was in violation of the law, I can't dispute in some cases, but the kids made a stand. For me it didn't matter, it mattered that the stood for what they thought was right. They led themselves in song and prayer at their graduation since the school couldn't to keep in the tradition the school has had since it opened in 1940. That makes me proud of these kids. It makes me proud because people don't stand up for what they believe is right anymore outside of clicking like on FB. I knew a few of the kids there and I made sure they knew that even though I wasn't a believer, and knew the school was in violation of the law, I supported them. People may not think it was much of a big deal but to a small little town it was a very big deal and these kids made a stand.

local new clip

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Well, a well done to the seniors! Yah.

I do not know how freedom of religion leads to religious suppression but somehow it seems to get there.

They will remember this considered act of defiance for a long time.

P

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I hope they do and I also hope they don't let folks concentrate on just the religious aspect of what they did as much as simply standing up for what they believe is right.(although since it was about a prayer and hymn that wont happen) I spoke to a few of the seniors before hand and let them know that I, being and atheist/agnostic whatever label someone feels the need to apply, supported them 100%. That I would stand with them out of respect.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Well, a well done to the seniors! Yah.

I do not know how freedom of religion leads to religious suppression but somehow it seems to get there.

They will remember this considered act of defiance for a long time.

P

It's a sad state if affairs when kids have to break the law to sing a song and say a prayer.

Religious freedom in reality = death to christianity as the dominant religion despite the fact our countries were founded with it.

There's more I could say, but the site T & Cs wont allow it.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I for the life of me cant understand how people can believe in evolution, I can understand why they dont believe in a God, just look at the world.
But under no circumstances do I see a need to dictate what people want to say or believe, providing they are harming no one.

I have a great deal of respect for the above posters because I know how easily it is to get trapped in to an us and them mentality. Seems like you have risen above that sentimentality.
If there is a conspiracy in all this, I would say some one is trying to cause conflict.

These are the times we should stand together and create a bond, its great to see that atheists stepped up and showed their support.
Hope us religious learn from you.
edit on b2014Sat, 07 Jun 2014 07:21:19 -050063020146am302014-06-07T07:21:19-05:00 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

They didn't break any laws. It would have been against the law for the faculty to sanction or lead it. The kids did it on their own.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I feel bad for the kids in the graduating class that are of other faiths or no faith. They will forever have the memory of their graduation getting turned in to a religious event.

Keeping religion out of schools isn't about "oppressing" anybody, its about being respectful of EVERYONE, not just the majority.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

I wanted them to know it didn't matter about belief. What mattered in this case is they felt the law was wrong and didn't just accept it. That is the mindset of change. That's what I supported. I've seen many comments online of people foaming at the mouth about our country wasn't founded on religion and separation of church and state yet no one remembers our country was founded by those that went against their leaders. They made a stand and created this country without accepting someone dictating their lives. I may not support religion in schools, not state sanctioned at least, but I do support these kids.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Had there been preaching and other things I would be inclined to agree with you. The only thing is a utopian society has never and will never exist, there will always be those that don't support or feel about things like everyone else. It's just an aspect of life everyone has to deal with.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

What a load of bunk! They will remember that they went to a school in a country that has a Christian history and were part of a class that wanted to uphold the traditions of the school.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: drivers1492

G,day mate.
To the students and staff at Thomas Walker High School.
I salute and support your action,
and raise a glass of Johnny Walker in your honour.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: drivers1492

I am glad they took a stand as well, but I don't think they violated the law in doing so. They are students, not the school administration, and thus their actions are simply their free expression of religion.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
First of all, the title of this article is inflammatory and misleading.

The students did not defy the ACLU because the ACLU did not request anything from the students--not one request.

The ACLU actually offered to PROTECT these students' legal rights in their singing and praying, so there is nothing for the students to DEFY in the first place. Terrible reporting on this event and situation all over the internet and news!

Secondly, the ACLU explained the LAW in the letter in a very factual way and referenced all relevant cases and decisions. People are angry at the ACLU for giving them factual information about illegal activity? Ridiculous.

Locals are just mad because they do not understand freedom of religion and separation of church and state. The school administration has been breaking the law by REQUIRING students to memorize and sing a Christian hymn about dying and meeting again at Jesus' feet. They KNEW they were breaking the law and didn't care. It's "their tradition" to break the law! Students who didn't want to sing the song in the past were told "get over it." I've spoken to far too many TW graduates who say that the song was not a choice when they attended. They were forced to memorize it, practice it, and sing it at graduation. The school told the students if they deviated from the program in any way, they would not receive their diploma. Also, most alumni I spoke to said no one likes that song anyway and they don't understand why they force kids to sing it every year. And this class didn't like the song either--until it became controversial and then time to jump on the Christian majority "defying the ACLU" bandwagon!

Finally, singing a Christian song that has been sung at every graduation for 40 years in front of a majority Christian crowd who are telling you to sing it is not faith-driven defiance. It is peer-pressured politics.

This act was just a bunch of kids pressured by their community and convinced they are standing up for God by singing...when all the administration had to do is stop REQUIRING it.

That's people around Lee County though, even the media. They overblow things and tell half-truths and sometimes complete lies.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: delivery

Biased and inflammatory reporting is the only way to sell the news. I agree with you in concerns with the laws the aclu addressed. While most of what was addressed doesn't bother me either way. But, like I also pointed out earlier as well the kids didn't break any laws and the aclu made a point to bring attention to the individual students rights.

There are many in the community just down right angry about it, and their anger isn't rational in the legal sense. But, lawful or not when a tradition is challenged people get upset. Anytime the subject pertaining to any faith in conversation hits news people are upset. I've spoken to a number of graduates past and present and some had ill feelings that were faith based and a few simply didn't understand what the issue was.

I'm sure there was some parental influence involved, to think there wasn't would be naive. The ones that weren't and felt they were standing up for god, kudos for making a stand. I honestly can't find a reason to look down on someone that stands up at a young age for what they believe is right.

As far as your comments about the people of the county....I've lived all over the southern states, this place has no more bad apples in it than anywhere else I have been. It all depends on who you choose to associate with.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
youtu.be...

Watch this video discussion about Thomas Walker for an outsider's perspective.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: delivery

No offense but that video was a waste of time. Like you originally pointed out about the title of the article being inflammatory that's exactly what the video is doing as well. Look man/girl, the entire point of this particular thread was to point out that:

A: The school was in violation of the law, yet
B: Kids stood and sang anyway

If your a current resident of the county or heck even this country it's painfully clear that people are so lost in the world that the extent of them "doing something" is to click links on fb or some other internet site. They don't actually do crap anymore, especially kids. But, these kids did something, and I commend them for it. Doesn't mean I agree with religion or anything I agree with making a stand. That's the whole point of me writing this thread. It made them feel proud and that is what we need our kids to feel. So what exactly is your problem with that? You have made 2 posts a little over a week apart if you have a debate please bring it forward otherwise I will bid you good day.

new topics

top topics

join