It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The old movies are gone from our tvs. For good reasons.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I bet its because they don't turn your mind to garbage as much as new ones. Also some of them were outright damaging to TPTB.

They are the only ones worth watching really. High def? You like high def vampire /wolf teen dating dramas?

Or shoot em up screamy movies?

or how about propaganda spewing pieces?

Snakes on a plane?

EDIT TO ADD:
I dare you to watch "Metropolis" which was shot in black and white and tell me its not one of the best movies you have ever seen.

The twilight zone...dude the freaking twilight zone...

so many more. I was a nick at night kid.

I will give you this, comedy has improved a little recently.

edit on 6 7 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
do you really want to see Ben Hur again?

Row well and live, 41.

Best old movie I've ever seen - Abe Lincoln In Illinois

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

You're obviously not a fan of film.

All of the great ones have been made.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Old movies and old music never go anywhere.They are the milestones of the new entertainment industry and without them there would be no great actors and musicians,etc today...Once upon a time not too long ago there was creativity,substance and good stories performed by multi talented artists...It wasn't all about money and agenda driven producers trying to come up with something fast, flashy and profitable to make...when you take out love,passion and art and replace it with technology and just entertainment we end up with these endless amount of crap showing and playing on the media today portrayed as the real thing....I always thought it is just my generation we are getting old and boring and we do not understand today's entertainment.But the more i think about it and compare "fairly" the less i see real artistic values in a lot of today's films and musics....Maybe that's just me.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? The original House on Haunted Hill is one of my favorites. Actually, most horror originals can't be beat, they just can't. Nothing captures the essence of the horror film quite like the oldies did.

My elder kid loves Nosferatu. No audio dialogue doesn't bother her, she loves the ambiance the film exudes. The 70's "not a remake" (Nosferatu The Vampyre) she hated. Wasn't spooky enough, and had too much talking. There's just something about the early "Nailed it!"s that can't be duplicated.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Laurence Olivier in Hamlet & Henry V

Richard Attenborough in Brighton Rock

John Mills in Great Expectations

That's just four that come to mind after only thinking about the OP's subject for just a few seconds.

Those four mentioned films are far superior than anything i have seen that's been produced in the last 20 - 30 years.

If you like violence, foul language, far fetched story lines, ham acting and CGI then you are probably a lover of modern films.

As i footnote, if you are a lover of War Films, i would recommend " Zulu."

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I still have plenty on my cable TV. Not just old movies from the 30's - 70's but stuff like the Brady Bunch, Mister Ed, Gillian's Island, Happy Days, Leave it to Beaver and my favorite Last of the Summer Wine. We also have On Demand with a lot more.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Movies and TV here in the states are in such bad condition that I'm pretty sure the best stuff is coming out of the UK and Asia now.

Must have been a youngster that started this thread. I'm only 33, but the older I get the more I appreciate some of the older movies and TV, at least back then they had standards and class.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

There are old movies on television a lot more than you might think, and with good reason. Do we watch movies simply for "high def", or do we watch them for quality entertainment? Writing off old movies because they aren't high def, of the effects aren't as advanced, will mean you miss a lot of really good movies. The acting wasn't any worse than it it today, and in many cases, was a lot better. Some of the new movies are a complete waste of time. Many rely so heavily on special effects and fight scenes that they fail to focus in an actual plot. Some of the "acting" is beyond pathetic. How a movie should be rated is an individual thing to some extent, but the ratings used for television are based on overall ratings from viewers over the years, as a rule.

What do you consider a four star movie? What criteria do you use for your personal rating system? Ask one hundred people that question, and you'd get one hundred different answers, likely as not.

I'd consider all three that you name worth another view. Those are all classics. In fact, Ben Hur is in our DVD collection, as it's a favorite of my husband. As for Gilligan's Island, it has its charm. I'd watch that any day over some of the trashy sitcoms the networks put out these days.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I think to the subtle humor of dick van dyke. The wonderful play on the human psyche of the twilight zone and alfred hitchcock. The honest and pure humor of I love genie or bewitched. The slap knee humor of get smart that was superb for genuine belly laughs.

I think to mid century Spanish cinema and its deep psychological effect.

American film and American actors in all their glory actually ACTING. Stories that were written by writing gods that did not depend on special effects to tell a story that went into the depths of your mind and played from there. Stories that emanated from the inside out. You were a player in the story, not just a witness.

"rear window, the joker is wild, from here to eternity, rio bravo, the night of the hunter, rebel without a cause, the seventh seal, sunset blvd, the day the earth stood still, paths of glory, 7 samurai, dial m for murder, to catch a thief, the bridge on the river kwai, strangers on a train, the african queen"

and so many more. PURE GOLD.

edit on 6 7 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Yes, yes, and yes!

I completely agree on the differences. Good writing and good acting, as opposed to effects and big names and no real substance! it's rare to see movies that good from the modern era. They happen, but not often.

I have seen several of those, but not yet all. Rea Window was outstanding. Superb acting, and the suspense was masterfully directed! All you named are on my "need to see this" list, though I haven't gotten to them all just yet. Reading all this, I think I will have to make some time, and recheck Netflix for many of these!

Your first paragraph is flawless.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Older movies are WAY better, for me at least. I just got done watching a 1960s movie called Judgement At Nuremberg, on TV. It was in B&W like all the greats. A little while ago i saw the 1930s movie Emperor Jones and loved it. I guess they became more enjoyable to me after i had acquired a widespread knowledge of history. There are a lot of good color ones too. Like Barabas, if you like biblical Era films, or Duck, You Sucker, if you like westerns. I like them all. I like some new ones, but they never give me the feeling of an older movie. Even a 90s or 80s movie is pretty good.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join