Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Twitter Chews Up Obama after Gum Gaffe at D-Day

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It's very American to chew gum.... maybe they will come out with Topps D-Day Bubble Gum Cards!

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

I know DC is in it as well and we didn't hear much outcry at that one here in the UK, I think it's the face of Michelle Obama that sells it hence the focus on BO. It's a quality photo, gives me a chuckle tbh.

I'm sure if a thread had started about Cameron taking a selfie it would have had the same responses but with Barack being there he was always going to leading the way here on ATS.

You are probably right to a certain extent about old biddies trying to instill these manners but I also think I just have an aversion to people chewing gum because for some reason just thinking about someone chewing gum makes me want to hit something. Hmm might need therapy for that 1.

Even Sir Alex my all time favourite manager and his chewing annoyed me.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: OMsk3ptic

I didn't say everyone hates Obama for being black, just a large minority.

He is a poor president other than too, but he gets FAR more hate than other poor presidents.

Clearly you are not one of these people, but you cannot seriously deny people hate him for being black, if you do then you are in denial. Racism is so interwoven with American culture that it would be incredible for people to claim that people do not form judgement's based upon this idea.

Yes many Americans may have moved on from racism and hate Obama for other reasons, but make no mistake, many use anything as a proxy reason to hate Obama.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The Obama thing aside ...

I don't like when people are gum chewing or 'sucker sucking' ... it's annoying. Like an itch you can't scratch. Can't explain it. Just ... ugh. I think it's nasty but we all have to put up with other people's nasty habits. It's a crowded world. No escaping them.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: rusblued9217

It was a lot more apparent during the presidential campaign but I think his dislike is no longer just about race but about actions, he's still got a better approval rating than Bush at this point, question is can he beat him to the lowest?
It certainly looks like he's trying to beat old G.W at this point.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: rusblued9217
a reply to: OMsk3ptic

I didn't say everyone hates Obama for being black, just a large minority.

In case you missed it, i wanted to point out that this sounds kind of silly.

I think anyone painting with a broad brush is not often going to find themselves on the side of logic. In this case there is no exception.

I remember how much Bush was hated. And I remember all the stuff said about him. Matter of fact, the vitriol that started when Al Gore lost the election has just continued to snowball up to today.

Since he is undeserving of any respect, I certainly am not going to call someone who gives him no respect a "racist" just because I haven't bothered to flesh out any real reasons they may have.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Glad I'm not alone, I just find people chewing gum repulsive for some reason, i blame the wrigleys adverts in the 80's I used to hate those American adverts with their shiny white teeth and trying to be 80's cool. It was so lame I think a bit of humanity died in me that day.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I told everybody that this guy was an idiot and not to vote for him, but they were all like: "hope and change, and he talks really well, he'll make the country better, blah blah blah".
I told you all so. All you had to do was look at who he surrounded himself with and just watch how arrogant he was/is. The only thing this tool has done right is not starting war with Iran, but now it seems that he wants to poke the bear instead. what a dumbass. He has no respect for anybody except his own ilk. He is a laughing stock of the world. We need someone who is for the American people, not lobbyists or other countries or religions.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I looked up Gum Chew Etiquette and this is what I found.

Is it rude to chew gum at your place of work or at church? If guests come in chewing gum, what is the proper way to ask them to get rid of it? It is very disgusting to find it on the dinner plate.

This question goes into the category of sensible manners in society because gum chewing is not addressed in etiquette books. For gum chewers, here are the two common sense rules: 1) Chew gum discreetly, preferably alone in your car or in your home.
2) Dispose of it properly. (A good habit is to keep the gum wrapper in your pocket for disposal when finished.) Throughout my lengthy airline career it was a written regulation that gum chewing was not allowed while in uniform. It is perceived as unprofessional, along with chomping on a candy bar or licking an ice cream cone in public.

Not all professions may address this under their corporate code of regulations, in which case it is up to the individual to use good judgment. Chewing gum in the office or in church is not a social crime; however, chomping on it and cracking it crosses the professional boundary. Confrontation should be made on an individual basis.
You cannot control someone else's behavior but you can communicate in a tactful manner to solve the problem. If a dinner guest in your home is chewing gum, your could discreetly offer a tissue or small piece of paper. I agree with you that gum on a plate is totally unacceptable - along with gum discarded on a sidewalk or floor. Gum chewing is popular for people who are trying to quit smoking. Breath mints are a recommended substitute, especially around others who may be offended by flapping jaws. Recently I was surprised to observe an usher chomping on gum while seating guests at a wedding.
Since then, I have heard that bridesmaids have been known to chew it during the ceremony. The common sense rule for such festivities is: NO GUM! For those of you planning a wedding, it would be very appropriate to address this issue at the wedding rehearsal the night before the wedding.

Link

I guess it's just a Generational THING!
So many people are All About Themselves, instead of thinking of the Culture of the Country You Are a Visitor or Guest in.
Just think of yourself and your own satisfaction not how you are perceived by others as you are the representative of a Nation of Peoples, Past, Present and Future.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
You know, there are actual bad things that Obama has done. I assure you there is no need to overhype non-issues in a attempt to trash our President.

This thread is pretty sad, but what's even more sad is that it's not the first time this thing (making petty threads about the President, not the President chewing gum) has happened.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
GumGate!

Personally, I don't find chewing gum particularly offensive. Was he blowing bubbles? I'm also not terribly concerned with what French people tweet about.

I agree. This is just another example of how some people believe that everything Obama does is wrong. I mean really? Gum chewing? Who gives a crap? How is that disrespectful? So he's moving his freaking jaw a little bit? This is what you people are concerned about? So many questions.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
We are lucky it was just gum.

Take away his gum then Obama would have probably lit up a Newport menthol, pulled a 40 ounce of Olde English 800 or Night train while talking to his baby mama on his burner.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I haven't face palmed conservative outrage this hard since his failure to wear a flag pin.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I am not even remotely an Obama fan, but I'll take his side on this one.

Let him have his gum and chew it too.

We know he was a smoker and perhaps he has a Nicorette when he's under stress and he certainly has reason to be under stress these days.

This is so childish, it really does not need to be pointed out its childish and petty.

If Obama offended several other countries with his gum chewing then no, it isn't childish or petty. Apparently according to the article he did just that.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I am not even remotely an Obama fan, but I'll take his side on this one.

Let him have his gum and chew it too.

We know he was a smoker and perhaps he has a Nicorette when he's under stress and he certainly has reason to be under stress these days.

This is so childish, it really does not need to be pointed out its childish and petty.

If Obama offended several other countries with his gum chewing then no, it isn't childish or petty. Apparently according to the article he did just that.

so an obscure blog with some tweets means he offended several countries? that's all the proof we need. case closed, someone tweeted it disapproval! clearly obama is trying to provoke war!

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If this is all right can dish out, they are slacking.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

It's got nothing to do with American right, he offended a lot of countries because it's seen as a lack of respect and dignity. We just have different cultures and while chewing gum is a product of America and may not ne am issue for you but he fails to understand decorum in sensitive matters like the selfie at Nelson Mandella's funeral.
If he chewed at a Japanese event like that, I'm sure the backlash would be even worse. Singapore bans chewing gum completely.
And I actually like some of Obama's policies, I'm left leaning myself so it's not a left right thing but a lack of decorum as a head of state.

Edit to add our PM was also in the selfie so he showed a lack of decorum as well.
edit on 9-6-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
What flavor?
Govern-mint?

I too think it's more of an embedded generational thing.
It just doesn't bother me.
Teachers used to go ballistic over it. but I think it was demonized more for where it ended up later. Than for the act of chewing.
Thing is, many of those teachers could have benefited from chewing something minty fresh.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype

Back on topic - no the gum chewing is not a big deal. Yes it is tasteless, classless, and a no no at an event like this.

Seriously, some of you members need TELLING that gum chewing is disrespectful?? C'mon now people I learned in Elementary school when to take the gum out. And this is in America land of the rude.

Totally agree, and to my fellow countryman, this wasn't just hanging out at the beach listening to some guy bigging up the French. This was world leader at a formal event being watched by the world.

I don't pretend that his chewing gum was a deliberate mark of disrespect, but certainly showed a huge lack of cultural/social awareness.

A bit like when Ozzy Osbourne got arrested for peeing against the tomb of the unknown soldier.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: idmonster

I think Ozzies was a bit more disrespectful than Obama's lack of decorum, Ozzie literally pissed on a mans grave.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join