It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexual Conversion Therapy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
good retort, but sex and religion are intertwined.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

Nothing prevents anything

I am the alpha and omega

Beginning and end

And I have made you in my image

And give you dominion over this planet

And if he only gives me this

I will use my god given science to become his image

Until I have no sex or ego about a flap of flesh between my thigh

Until I create my own image in his

Until I become immortal

And if we only get this rock I will use every molecule

To continue this race if it means we

And this is my personal favorite idea

Even if we go underground as a species and get it return to a wild state

Returning to the surface only to live as a wild people by the laws of the wild

Maybe we did and those below died and only the surface dwellers survived

What I do know is

And this is something I picked up from a movie a friend made me watch

If there is a god he will understand ( mostly because he knows whats gonna happen)

And if he doesnt

Then he is not truly God

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I wonder if all instances of homosexuality are caused by the same mechanism? Everyone seems to assume that all homosexuals are born like that but perhaps not. I don't know. More research is needed. But perhaps some homosexuality is caused by a conditioned response type of thing that has been learned at some stage in the person's life much like a fetish. Maybe this behaviour can be modified if the person so wishes by therapy. But only if the person seeks treatment of their own accord. For most people it may be a harmful exercise as they are born homosexual but there may be a few cases where therapy may modify their behaviour. As a heterosexual I cannot imagine what it is like to be homosexual but most of I have met them seem to be happy. Wow. This thread has stirred up some feelings and some debate. Its all good people.
cheers

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I wonder if all instances of heterosexuality are caused by the same mechanism? Everyone seems to assume that all heterosexuals are born like that but perhaps not. I don't know. More research is needed. But perhaps some heterosexuality is caused by a conditioned response type of thing that has been learned at some stage in the person's life much like a fetish. Maybe this behaviour can be modified if the person so wishes by therapy. But only if the person seeks treatment of their own accord. For most people it may be a harmful exercise as they are born heterosexual but there may be a few cases where therapy may modify their behaviour.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Very daring OP. Especially how you claim the therapy is ineffective without actually posting anything to support that. Saying that people resist treatment for mental behaviors and addictions and then using that as the basis to no longer attempt therapy is ridiculous. Drug addicts resist attempts to convert their behavior into healthier alternatives as well or people with conditions like OCD.

I posted data in the thread that was shutdown on the same topic from the Association For Suicide Preventions website that shows there is no rise in teen suicides that can be blamed on this therapy. Some contend this is a behavioral issue and like other abnormal behaviors which we deem mental illness there are inherent risk of self harm. Who would have thought.

I think that those opposed to the therapy or further research by therapist and psychologist are merely hypocrites. The majority of you would welcome a therapy for religious folks to rid them of their behaviors.

The problem with these discussions is we are not allowed to be honest with each other and have to pretend like there is some biological basis for this behavior. I have stated it before if there were a biological cause then there could be a biological cure for those who would want it of which I am sure there are many but it is unpopular to offer people options apparently.

The straw man argument about "how about we create a hetero to homo conversion therapy" is ridiculous on so many levels that I wont entertain it further and hope people see it for what it is.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

Have you read

Brainsex?

I believe that challenges a lot of beliefs on both sides of the arguement

Men and women gay, straight and in between

Every human should own it as a starting board to what our sexes are

Arnt

Can be

And therefore

Will be

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

No I have not. I will look into it though thanks for the suggestion. I was recently researching Wilhelm Reich and Kinsey for a thread that I may post soon which brought about some interesting things and perhaps there is something there that will work its way into the topic.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Oh Lordy, this one belongs in the political mudpit forum.

My 2 cents, speaking as a gay person;

You can take your conversion therapy and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Just let us be ourselves - we dont need cures, just understanding and acceptance. Somehow because some ignorant and hateful straight people have a problem accepting life is more complex than their miniscule intellects can handle, it becomes our fault and they want us to change for them.

Dumb

edit on 7-6-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
Oh Lordy, this one belongs in the political mudpit forum.

My 2 cents, speaking as a gay person;

You can take your conversion therapy and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Just let us be ourselves - we dont need cures, just understanding and acceptance. Somehow because some ignorant and hateful straight people have a problem accepting life is more complex than their miniscule intellects can handle, it becomes our fault and they want us to change for them.

Dumb

Speaking as a straight person, I say YES to this post! Gays don't need to be "cured" any more than left-handers need to be cured, any more than red heads need to be cured. There is nothing wrong with being gay, any more than there is anything wrong with being left-handed or having red hair. I don't want to hear the argument that if all of us were gay the world would die out. Stupid argument. First, that just isn't reality. Homosexuals are and have always been a very small percentage of the general population. Second, there are many gays that want children and with science's help, it can be done. Even without science, it could be done - lots of gays have procreated.

The only, and I mean the ONLY reason any young gay person would be going to one of these "reprogramming" conversion sessions is because they have been told by everyone around them they care about that there is something "wrong" with them. After a while, you start to believe that. But, it's a lie. Let me repeat. There is nothing wrong with being gay. It breaks my heart to think about some young teen/man who is emotionally and mentally fragile because of the brainwashing he has received that he is "less than" other men. In that fragile state, he may be desperate enough to think he should go to one of these awful reprogramming sessions.

Yes, they should be banned. What we need instead is more counseling available to these young people to let them know that no matter what they are being told, they are fine just the way they are, and that they are worthy of God's love just the way they are.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Xcalibur254

How effective would it be to use therapy to turn a straight person gay?

You can brainwash a person to do whatever you want. This has been proven time and again.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Personally, I think they should take this therapy and provide it for all the animal kingdom. Did you know almost all apes in captivity have bisexual tendencies? Obviously there is something wrong and unnatural about it... obviously... considering that they share up to 99% of our genetics, we should provide them with man's loving religious indoctrination. The entire animal kingdom needs to "pray out the gay!" Dirty sinful animals.
edit on 7-6-2014 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

America is a Christian country

Oh really. I thought it was a country with religious freedom although many of the citizens hold Christian religious beliefs.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

For those who don't know conversion therapy is the practice of "curing" someone of their homosexuality.

Curing. Because homosexuality has been proven without a doubt to be an illness.

Heterosexual here and this is what I think of conversion therapy:

What a joke.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The first question is what causes people to be gay. Then you have to ask the tough questions. Personally, I think there are many causes, but

If it's a genetic mutation, then conversion is torture.

If it's a physiologic that someone thinks they are the opposite of what science/life/reality says, then it's a mental illness and not fixing it would be mean. Like the little girl who thinks she's a boy. If she thought she was a dog, you don't by her a dog dish, you get her help. If when was super skinny and thought she was fat(anerexia) you don't plan out her calorie counting diet and exercise program, you get her mental health help

If it's a choice, then everyone is intittled to their own choice, but everyone else is entitled to judge. That's the reason all the gossip shows are on tv, so we can judge others lives and behavoirs.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

already been addressed, you cant just look at an animal and say look the animal did it so it must be natural human behaviour, that's absurd, as per one of my previous posts; some female spiders eat the male spider they just had sex with, should we call that natural human behaviour now too, no offense but seriously no thought at all put into this pathetic attempt to push homosexual behaviour onto those who think rationally.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: nugget1

I'm trying to start a discussion. As I've mentioned the vast majority of research has shown that conversion therapy produces ineffectual or negative results. Yet, there are people who defend its continued existence. I wish to understand the reasoning behind these beliefs. I'm also hoping to delve into a broader topic as this thread progresses.

The people that want the therapy continued are the ones that say "it's okay with god if your'e gay, just don't act on it."
They truly believe that the cause of homosexuality is nurture, not nature. Does the therapy work? In my opinion all it does is create more self loathing, and push that part of a homosexual's psyche further into the closet. Ineffective at best, and could possibly create way more harm in the long run.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Others who say homosexuals are wired this way, and pedos are wired this way, and some may say maniacs are wired this way, the list goes on, well again this also does not give any backing as to why it should be classed as acceptable human behaviour, and not discouraged. In fact there is no valid argument for it whatsoever, and certainly not in this thread.

It's funny how homo's and their sympathisiers are so quick to bash religious folk and go onto to say that they clutch at straws, but all we see here is homo's and their sympathisers clutching at straws.
edit on 7-6-2014 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Haxsaw

A spider, eh?

Nice strawman argument.

Well, apes are the closest species to man, so close they could breed. (Actually even closer than a lion and tiger or other chimera that exist naturally) These aforementioned animals share strikingly similar behavior traits. I expect other closely linked species to share similar behavior, including sexuality.

Man is just another animal. Feeding, (expletive), and fighting.

Edit*
And who said anything about pushing? Its a natural inclination. Feeling bombarded? To me that tone is along the lines of saying homosexuals reproduce through conversion. It's Natural, always has been, always will be.
edit on 7-6-2014 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
The first question is what causes people to be gay. Then you have to ask the tough questions. Personally, I think there are many causes, but

If it's a genetic mutation, then conversion is torture.

If it's a physiologic that someone thinks they are the opposite of what science/life/reality says, then it's a mental illness and not fixing it would be mean. Like the little girl who thinks she's a boy. If she thought she was a dog, you don't by her a dog dish, you get her help. If when was super skinny and thought she was fat(anerexia) you don't plan out her calorie counting diet and exercise program, you get her mental health help

Sorry, but these are really bad analogies. A person who is gay can be perfectly healthy, and can interact with society just fine. They can have jobs, friends, families of their own. They are humans, and they know they are humans. If a girl thinks she is a dog, she will have much difficulty interacting with her fellow human beings because she is in fact, not a dog. People with anorexia end up dying without help. Gays don't end up dying just because they are gay.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Haxsaw
Others who say homosexuals are wired this way, and pedos are wired this way, and some may say maniacs are wired this way, the list goes on, well again this also does not give any backing as to why it should be classed as acceptable human behaviour, and not discouraged. In fact there is no valid argument for it whatsoever, and certainly not in this thread.

It's funny how homo's and their sympathisiers are so quick to bash religious folk and go onto to say that they clutch at straws, but all we see here is homo's and their sympathisers clutching at straws.

Because being homosexual does not equate to victimizing other people. Pedophiles do equate with victimizing others. Deranged killers do equate with victimizing other people. There is no valid argument for classifying homosexuality as unacceptable behavior.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join