It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The vital role of humility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Having recently been served some humble pie, I thought maybe we could discuss what humility means to you.

To me, it's a priceless gift of grace that every philosopher, mystic, and religious person needs to keep front and center. Especially after the inevitable ego-inflation that comes with gnosis. Your thoughts? Teach me about humility, please.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
All it means is not to elevate oneself ABOVE another or think better of self than another but to strive to walk in the others footsteps, be they homeless, be they inner city youth gangster, be they angry rebellious teen, be they overweight, underweight, tall, short, thick, thin, green, yellow, purple, happy or negative mooded. To walk in their footsteps and realize that you'd have probably 80% chance of being like them if you had the same genetics, opportunities and environment, and experiences. So understanding, and LOVE for others.

It has nothing to do with abasement or groveling. You are not a worm or dirt or an ant. All those terms I've heard and they're ridiculous and even negative thinking. That kind of abasement feeds authorative bullies abusing the dignity of others.

Self esteem, self worth, is very important and gives the empathy to appreciate others.
edit on 6-6-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99

It has nothing to do with abasement or groveling. You are not a worm or dirt or an ant. All those terms I've heard and they're ridiculous and even negative thinking. That kind of abasement feeds authorative bullies abusing the dignity of others.

The all is the all. With a name like, "Unity99", I would expect you would know this. Humility opens your mind to your greater self. The self that is more than human. There is no shame in empathizing with any animal. There is no shame or degradation in humbling yourself to the status of the ant. All animals are equally impressive just in unique ways.
edit on 6-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule
"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less."

-C. S. Lewis

Humility makes good men, great men.

Humility makes weak men strong.

I've admired humility, and find that the more I learn, the less I know.

Humility is something we should all strive for.

SnF for and interesting thread.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
To be served humble pie signifies to me that someone saw to it that you were put in your place and you were most likely embarrassed by it. Perhaps you put your foot in your mouth out of ignorance or pride or superiority? Whatever the exchange was, to be humble is not the same as being humiliated.

Humility imo means to not command attention to oneself. It means to not think of oneself as being superior to others or better. It means to acknowledge and be grateful for the gifts or privileges we do have without having asked for them, all the while knowing we did nothing special to deserve them.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Teach me about humility, please.

You'll get more from that Noun if you seek that information without asking the opinion of others. It's a skill set attained through life experience, not rhetoric.

In my humble opinion of course.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Hua reply to: beezzer

Humility makes great men saints, and bad men good.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Teach me about humility, please.

The game sounds rigged. It would be contradictory to do so...

"Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know.” ~ Lao Tzu

Thus, I do not know enough to even attempt such a feat.

edit on 7-6-2014 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-6-2014 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
To me it is acknowledging to myself that another person has value which can enrich me, if I only shut up and listen for a moment.

Mura

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
One of my favourite movie scenes ever... Start at 5:00 min mark.

"Learn humility, it's the most important thing !"

It's from the Padre Pio movie. I'm not even Christian, but I do love the lessons in the movie.
A must watch...

new topics

top topics

join