Where does Jesus promise to return?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This question has been asked, from time to time, because people have been looking in the gospels and not finding a direct statement on the subject.
The other writers in the New Testament are clearly expecting him to return, and they must have got that idea from somewhere.
But the questioners would like to see something in his own words.

An explicit promise in his own words can be found in John’s gospel;
“When I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to myself…”- John ch14 v3
There’s also the incidental reference to this promise in the words “If it is my will that he remain until I come…”- John ch21 v22
But if the questioner isn’t willing to accept the the speeches of John’s gospel as the words of Jesus, the question must be asked again with reference to the teaching in the Synoptic gospels.

There’s a passage of dialogue in the Mikado which points the way towards a possible answer.
It comes near the end, when Ko-Ko and Katisha announce the joyful news of their marriage.
The Mikado observes “You’ve been very quick about it”.
Ko-Ko explains “We were married in front of the Registrar”.
The Lord Pooh-Bah, who is quivering with fear and located in a grovelling position at the time, adds helpfully “I am the Registrar”.
The obvious conclusion is that “the couple were married in front of Pooh-Bah”.
And the interesting point is that everybody who hears the opera comes to that conclusion even though nobody has actually said so.
They’ve not heard a direct statement to that effect, but they’ve just heard the two statements from Ko-Ko and Pooh-Bah which add up to the same thing.

Bearing that in mind, I’m now going to offer two sets of statements which can be found in the gospels.

You must expect to see the Son of Man

So the disciples are warned, when Jesus speaks to them outside the Temple;
“And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And then he will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds…”- Mark ch13 vv26-7.
This warning is repeated when he is being interrogated;
“You will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of power and coming with the clouds of heaven”- Mark ch14 v62.

Other statements talk about what will happen ”when” the Son of Man arrives.
He comes acting as a judge;
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations and he shall separate them one from another…” – Matthew ch25 vv31-2.

This judgement scene is clearly based upon the vision in Daniel, when “the Ancient of Days” takes his seat on his throne, to begin judgement, “and behold, with the clouds of heaven, there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him.”- Daniel ch7 vv9-13

Jesus speaks of this time as “the day when the Son of Man is revealed”- Luke ch17 v30
And he also tells us that we must be ready, because “the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour”- Luke ch12 v40.
The event will be sudden, “as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west”- Matthew ch24 v27

In this time of judgement, one of the decisive factors will be the believer’s response to his own mission;
“And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God”- Luke ch12 v8
But conversely;
“Whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him also will the Son of Man be ashamed, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”- Mark ch8 v38

I am the Son of Man

The first appearance of this phrase, “the Son of Man”, comes when the Pharisees are privately questioning the right of Jesus to declare that a man’s sins have been forgiven.
Therefore he tells the paralytic man to take up his pallet and walk home, in order to show them that “the Son of Man has authority in earth to forgive sins”- Mark ch2 vv6-11
Shortly afterwards, he is declaring that “the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath” –v28
In other words, it’s an indirect way of referring to himself, alluding to his own special position.

In both cases the occasional commentator has suggested that the original Aramaic would have meant “men” in general, but that explanation does not really work.
In the first instance, the statement of forgiveness is associated with the act of healing, which is meant to be a sign of delegated authority.
While in the second reference, a statement about “men in general” (“the Sabbath was made for man”) has already been made in the previous verse, using the ordinary word for “man”, so the “Son of Man” which follows should have a different meaning.
The line of argument is that even the ordinary man is the beneficiary rather than the servant of the Sabbath, so the “Son of Man” himself must have an even stronger claim.

Anyway, the next example is less ambiguous.
A man offers to follow Jesus wherever he might go.
The response is to warn him that “the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head”- Luke ch9 v58
This is clearly an indirect way of speaking about himself.

The same is true when he is contrasting himself with John the Baptist;
“For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say ‘He has a demon’;
The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they say ‘Behold a glutton and a drunkard’”- Matthew ch11 vv18-19.

And he was certainly speaking about himself when he said “The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many”- Mark ch10 v45

Following on from that, a number of statements about the betrayal of the Son of Man;
“For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed!”- Mark ch14 v21
The thought is repeated in “The Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners” (Matthew ch26 v45) or alternatively in “Would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?” (Luke ch22 v48)

You must expect to see me

This follows naturally from combining the other two sets of statements.
The same conclusion is already drawn at a number of points in the gospels.
In Matthew’s version of one of the statements about the coming Son of Man, his identity is taken for granted;
“Everyone who acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven”- Matthew ch10 v32
When Jesus warned the chief priests about the coming of the Son of Man, that was his response to a question about himself.

The most remarkable example is the request made by the sons of Zebedee, to be allowed to sit next to him in his glory.
They are clearly taking it for granted that he himself will be the “sitting on a throne” Son Of Man.
What is most revealing is that Jesus does not challenge their assumption.
He only denies having the power to choose his future associates, and warns them that the place of glory is less desirable than they might think.
In fact this was the occasion for his description of the role of the Son of Man, as coming to serve and give his life as a ransom.
So this episode brings into close proximity the two kinds of statement which Jesus was making about the Son of Man.
On the one hand, the phrase means the future judge of the world.
On the other hand, at one and the same time, it means himself.

The early church, in the New Testament, was expecting Jesus to return to judge the world.
The source of that expectation can be found in his own statements.
edit on 6-6-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

From what I gather, it refers to the prophesies concerning the Messiah and Elijas second coming etc.

I was often bothered by the fact that the New Testament refers to these prophesies like they are either in the Old Testament or common knowledge without really re telling them.

The answers aren't really spelled out in the Torah, Koran, or other texts as fas as I am aware....

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Treespeaker
The NT quotes specific OT prophecies (e.g. return of Elijah) mainly in applying them to the first arrival of Jesus.
What I'm doing here is looking at what he says about the possibility of returning later as judge of the world.
I could look at what the other NT writers say about the same subject, but that would need additional threads

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Where does he promise to return?

the Philipines

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowChatter
I meant, of course, "In which passage or passages does he make the promise?"

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Spelled out allot of places. The 200 million man army crossing the dried up Euphrates river and man having the ability to completely destroy all life on earth and of course Israel becoming a nation again before the final days kind of spells out that this could not happen until recently. (oh, btw, Revelation 12 may be happening in September 2017)

www.spiritualcycle.com...

Israel Restored
Reunification of Europe
The Coming of the Antichrist
Rise of World Religion
Rebuilding of 3rd Temple
Invasion of Israel of the North
Battle of Armageddon

www.raptureforums.com...

The Signs of His Coming by Michael G. Mickey: One of the biggest mysteries in the Bible concerns the timing of Jesus Christ's return to earth. Although the Bible tells us no one knows the hour nor the day when the Lord will return, the Bible is filled with many indicators or conditions we can use to assess how close we may be to the season of His return. As you are about to read, many of the conditions spoken of in Bible prophecy which seem to indicate Jesus Christ's return is coming in the not-too-distant future are clearly visible in the world today, reminding us that He could come, to Rapture His Church at least, at any moment! After the Rapture takes place, the horrific seven-year Tribulation Period will occur, an overview of which is included in my Post-Rapture Survival Guide.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
Sorry, you have misunderstood a slightly ambiguous title.
My query is about the places in the text where the promise can be found, as made by Jesus at the time.
(this is a response to previous ATS members claiming not to be able to find it).

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Oh, Mathew 24. Surely the generation that sees the restoration of the rebirth of the fig tree (Israel) shall not pass before the coming of Jesus. There is conjecture if a generation means 70 (80 by strength) or 100. Of course that drops us around the 2018 timeframe. The Revelation 12 sign in 2017 also aligns. And the 2015 Shmita year possibly signaling economic upheaval. I think you will not have long to wait before this kicks off.

24 Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2 “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

15 “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’[a] spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.

22 “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. 23 At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you ahead of time.

26 “So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

29 “Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’

30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth[c] will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory.[d] 31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it[e] is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Yes, quite so. I was quoting bits of that in the OP.
But modern commentary often offers the argument that Jesus was talking about someone other than himself (he says "he"), so I was obliged to argue against that case as well by showing how he identifies himself with the one who is expected.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Yes, quite so. I was quoting bits of that in the OP.
But modern commentary often offers the argument that Jesus was talking about someone other than himself (he says "he"), so I was obliged to argue against that case as well by showing how he identifies himself with the one who is expected.

But he is not the only one expected... there is also the Antichrist.

The False Prophet gets people to make images of the Beast from the Sea (aka the Antichrist, Little Horn, Eighth Head, etc.) and this is why there will be so many 'christs' all over the place, such as in the courtyard, etc., but in fact there is only one main character.

So maybe in the instances where he talks about 'he' rather than 'I', it would mean such as these? I'd be interested to check this out, so can you please give me a link to the/a source of that commentary, Disraeli?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
In us, we're supposed to achieve Higher Mind. Its an inner process.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
A reliable source tells me that Jesus just left Chicago, and he's bound for New Orleans.

You might not see him in person but he'll see you just the same.
You don't have to worry 'cause takin' care of business is his name.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

I agree, in fact he has returned already for many of us, some even who died long ago. When you achieve self-realization, that is when "Jesus" returns, or your higher self. When you drop all preconceived notions and seek with an open mind, you will find him, you will find yourself and he will "return". We are all born with it but the world set up around us robs us of it.
edit on 6/6/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Jesus seems to appropriate things to himself even if they don't seem to fit exactly, and the NT creates a sort of capsule of all the beliefs of the time, even if a lot of those sources do not exist today.

The idea is that Jesus is all those things, and to understand that when a world changing event like the destruction of temple in Jerusalem happens, it is the manifestation of his power as the ruler of this spiritual kingdom that we are now being gathered into.

That was the Parousia, that turns out to be a visitation of judgment, while at the same time an opportunity for the new age to break through into this world, which is the religion of Jesus with him as the Christ.
edit on 7-6-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

He will be returning on an unknown day in mid-September of 2023, by my calculations. That places the rapture on 9/16/2016 (Yom Teruah).

Here's more info if your interested:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Maigret
I can't give you any links because I would have seen these comments in old-fashioned physical books.
I was referring to a tendancy in some modern academic commentators to suggest that that when Jesus says "the Son of Man will", he was expecting a future saviour/judge without identifying himself as the future saviour.
So part of my argument was to show that he DOES make that identifcation.

edit on 7-6-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI Regarding the ''son of man'', it is used as a generic term and
as refering to a specific person. However, regarding eschatological figutes, there is more than one hero. We have Jesus AND a warrior called ''faithful and true'', who fights battles with justice. People may argue that this figure is none other than Jesus because he is named ''the word of God'' (a title also used for Jesus). But if that is so, then its very strange that the author stops short of calling him 'Jesus', especially when Jesus is mentioned in the previous verses.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: sk0rpi0n
However I've also quoted the passages where Jesus names himself as the Son of Man in a sense that other people are not, which rebuts the "generic" theory and fixes the identification.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Some many years ago I was told He would return through the Golden Gate in Jeruzalem. I tried to find an answer with Google and came up with this link..

Golden Gate

Maybe this is what you are looking for..
edit on 7/6/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
WHERE does Jesus promise to return? He will return where he left ... but the entire world will be able to see Him return. How this happens is a miracle ... but every eye shall see Him in His glory. That's the promise. He'll return from Heaven ... come in the clouds .... accompanied by angels. There will be no mistake and no wondering 'did He return'.

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n
its very strange that the author stops short of calling him 'Jesus', especially when Jesus is mentioned in the previous verses.

No it's not strange at all. There is no question about the identification of the person being Jesus. If you are going to try to insinuate that this person is somehow your imaginary 12th Imam.. don't bother. We can preempt that discussion right now. Jesus is referred to in Christian scripture by many titles.
edit on 6/7/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join