It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 years later, D-Day vet Jim 'Pee Wee' Martin jumps again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I thought it was cool that this WWII vet at his age could still do a parachute jump. The men even jumped from a C-47, an aircraft that's too good to go away and many are still in use today.

Hope I can make 90 and still be living an active life.

There is also a video report at the link.

Jim "Pee Wee" Martin acted like he'd been here before, like jumping from a plane is as easy as falling off a log.

Maybe that's because he had -- 70 years ago.

"I'm feeling fine," Martin told reporters moments after landing in a French field. "... It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful."

Martin was part of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division that parachuted down over Utah Beach in their bid to retake France and, eventually, the rest of Europe from Nazi Germany. They actually touched down in enemy-controlled territory a night before what's referred to as D-Day.

His jump Thursday in the same area was different and -- despite his being 93 years old now -- a whole lot easier.

"It didn't (compare)," Martin said, "because there wasn't anybody shooting at me today."

Link

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Lots of them are doing it.
Good on 'em i say

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I chuckled at what Jock Hutton said....

"Once I stuck my head out the door and I got a heave from the back, I was away. During my lifetime I have never been terrified. I am just a vicious little Scotsman" - D-Day veteran Jock Hutton, 89, who parachuted into France as part of the commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

Raiinbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
God bless ya brother Peewee
HOOAH!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

What can you say to a generation of people that gave us everything. That sacrificed with lives, money, families, I can't even imagine. What must have went through their minds when a ship firing on you sent projectiles weighing over a 1000 pounds at a distance of 20 miles. When an enemy flew airplanes with bombs and fuel into your ship. What must have gone through their mind when their bombers took off and fully one third wouldn't be coming back. What must have gone through their mind landing on the beaches in France under machine gun fire so heavy 1000's never made it in. What could have my father in law thought his first jump into enemy territory. What could be going through their collective minds knowing it was all or nothing, not some conflict where your country isn't at stake.

The greatest generation just doesn't seem fitting.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Good for him, 90 and jumping out of a plane, with a sense of humor to boot!

Love stories like this, the kind that make you smile. With so many depressing and upsetting stories on the boards, it's refreshing to see this. Thanks for posting it

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
AIRBORNE!!!!

2nd

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

ATW brother! 1st BCT 82nd.
edit on 7-6-2014 by lobograndemalo because: Added 1st BCT 82nd.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

'I loved every minute... I'd do it again tomorrow!' 'Great Escaper' D-Day veteran, 89, who sneaked off from care home to go to 70th anniversary commemorations in Normandy returns to Portsmouth but says his trip 'meant the world' to him
Veteran Bernard Jordan, 89, sneaked out of The Pines care home in Hove
Donning war medals under a raincoat, he joined his comrades on a coach
Police listed former mayor as missing person - until he turned up in France
Today he returned to hero's welcome in Portsmouth on cross-channel ferry
He said: 'I will be in some trouble with the care home, but it was worth it'

The full brilliant story and pics here....
The Great Escape Artist!

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

join