It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-duty cop shocked by bystanders' actions at horrific crash

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

I missed the part in the video where you can just magically have one all the time??
As already stated, just because YOU carry the stuff does not mean everyone else does too.
Seems the cop didn't have one either...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I am not shocked. People are for the most part are self absorbed turds. Check out these other worthless life forms.

Stranded motorists take selfie including suicidal man

A woman snaps a selfie with a suicidal man on the Brooklyn Bridge.

One of my personal favorites.
Is it ever OK to take a selfie at a funeral?

There are a bunch more losers out there doing the same crap. If anyone ever selfies me having a bad day I will make them have a worse one......

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I think it could be said that society has been like this for a while now. If one thinks about it, this incident is really not that different from the Murder of Kitty Genovese, which occurred in 1964. That particular event, which has now been made contentious (revision?) by a single study apparently, after numerous contemporary studies were done on the event, involved a significant number of people witnessing a brutal rape and murder while doing absolutely nothing. It's called the bystander effect, where the responsibility for action is diffused to others without discourse or confirmation. They assume that someone else is going to do whatever needs to be done. This kind of response predates the whole claims of ambulance chasing lawyers and litigation. I view it more pragmatically. I don't think that these people who diffuse that responsibility are anything more than people who are too shocked to think straight.

Today's bystander effect involves the use of cell phones, which is deeply troubling, as what each one of these individuals are doing when they are filming some atrocious incident could be construed as creating a snuff film. One sees something truly terrible and the first response is to film? That, in itself, is rather broken.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954
I question the validity of this story, I will use the old adage, "pics or it didn't happen".
I am sure there are others here at ATS who have browsed the pages of Live Leak, it is a site with videos from all around the world.
Surely if this incident did happen, LL would have the video.
I do not recall this video.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

And we have how many personal stories on this thread of people helping out right away?
Sure it happens that people don't help but people also DO help.
I have helped with crashes and recently was helped by many when I flipped my truck
It all depends on who shows up, but in no way a representation of society as a whole IMO
Did you read that comments on the page? Is that not a representation of how many people would help in a case like the one being shown?
Or can we only mass generalize when it is bad?
edit on thFri, 06 Jun 2014 14:07:18 -0500America/Chicago620141880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The Good Samaritan Law should have a clause...

Called the "Failure to Act Right" clause - where you actions or inaction can have very real consequences. But would that just cause more problems? I mean, if you don't feel you can intervene and help the individual - fine. But to whip out your cellphone and record ... *sigh*.

The world's a mess and it stories like these that make me lose heart. Sheesh.

CdT

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

I think there's a video on the op ..... www.firerescue1.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity
A news report?
I am talking of the video taken during the fire by the bystanders, surely someone would have posted it.
The video also requires flash, something I do not run.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Here is something that will make your stomach turn.

Should add this is not the video from the OP.

edit on 6-6-2014 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: g146541
A news report?
I am talking of the video taken during the fire by the bystanders, surely someone would have posted it.
The video also requires flash, something I do not run.

Oh sorry not sure about the people posting videos. I misunderstood.

Why are you afraid of FLASH? You use JAVA right?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

And here is one to unturn your stomach.
We could go back and forth all day, you show one bad video, someone can find one good story/video.

Yes there is bad people, guess what? There is good people too.
You don't always get to choose who is around.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Don't have java either!
You see all sorts of folks complaining about page load times and pop up ads here on ATS.
Some suggest you download things that are against the T$C, I don't need them as I never get those pop ups!
No flash no java, no problem!
Most videos pop up saying you MUST have flash to view this video...then they start to play...figure that one out.
Some video's I cannot view online but I can download and watch in a media viewer, some I don't get the option.
But I would like to see the original bystander filmed clip if there is one.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I keep one of those aerosol can fire extinguishers in my vehicle. I would have grabbed it the first time he asked, if not sooner.

People suck.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Am I the only one who sees the irony of people in this thread asking for pics and vids... of an incident that was shocking because bystanders were filming rather than lend a helping hand?

This is why we can't have nice things.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic
After the fact, I have put fires out and rendered aid in my time.
I am simply putting forth the idea that this is most probably only a social media experiment.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

People suck cause they don't carry fire extinguishers?
Seems unfair to people, unfortunately it can be a out of sight out of mind until you are at a scene like this.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

People suck cause they don't carry fire extinguishers?
Seems unfair to people, unfortunately it can be a out of sight out of mind until you are at a scene like this.

What?? Are you serious with this? People suck because they STAND AROUND TAKING VIDEO instead of helping.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I was just showing general decline in society. This isn't new or shocking but it is disheartening. Post all of the heartwarming crap you want it doesn't change the fact that bad/evil or indifference exist.

You must be spending too much time here to have reacted defensively to that post. /shrug.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
I keep one of those aerosol can fire extinguishers in my vehicle. I would have grabbed it the first time he asked, if not sooner.

People suck.

So where in this post do you talk about the people filming?
I responded with a question, asking if they suck for not having a fire extinguisher.
Since that was the only thing in your post besides the people suck part

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

And i showed you a case where society is not declining .......
And yes I know bad and evil exist, I said that as well. Does not mean it outweighs the good in the word
edit on thFri, 06 Jun 2014 15:08:47 -0500America/Chicago620144780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join