It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iphone Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Okay, I broke down and got an Iphone. Finally..after much resistance, the Apple Borg finally assimilated me. (aaaayyyyeeeeeee!!!)

Anyway.. I'm having many many issues with adapting to a very very different system from the Blackberry and Windows Phones I've had before this, respectively. Little things mostly, but enough little things changes the whole picture of a larger thing.

My big question here is HOW DO I EXIT?? I was just in the stock clock/alarm area and realized..I couldn't exit the damn thing and this isn't the first time. The screen will have no clear or obvious bread trail back to where I started and hitting the main button does nothing. Hitting it twice comes up with the display of everything currently loaded and running..but won't get back to a desktop from there.

My previous phones have always had a default method of "RETURN TO MAIN..RIGHT THIS SECOND.." and over-ride pretty much anything else happening, anywhere else on the phone. Sometimes, I'm piddling and NEED that return NOW..not half a minute from now.

So.. How do I exit and drop what I'm in for an Iphone if the app doesn't make that obvious?

OH...and how do I clean out running processes?? Another item that has been self evident on other phones..but not so much here?

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Press the home button to exit.

Double-click the home button and all your running apps will appear - you can scroll left/right to view them all.. Swipe upward to close them one at a time.

edit on 6-6-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Apple?!? Traitor!!!! Isn't that like one of the groups included in the Axis of Evil?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity

I admit.. Like the Purple Dinosaur for kids? I gave an Iphone a chance and it sucked me in with it's evil charms... I'm lost, I fear. Lost forever.... (deep sigh)

@ Okay, I hit the home button and this is what annoys me. In some things (like the screen to edit the alarm clock time), hitting the button once does not exit. It does nothing. Just sits there... So..I'm gathering that the home button isn't a PHONE function but a standard APP function that can actually be missing?? This is what may be throwing me. On the Windows HTC phone, the kill button is a phone function that comes over and beyond anything else running on the phone.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I was teasing. Apple is a great product (obviously). Not sure how to help I don't own an iphone. Good luck I'm sure you'll love it once you figure it out.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

To close open applications hit the home button twice, quickly. Then you can swipe the open applications and that closes them out.

I find the tips and tricks helpful. It's a bit overwhelming at first but you'll be a pro here shortly.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

There is no need to close any Apps. Don't serve the operating system. LET IT SERVE YOU.
Just use it. You use HOME to get out/exit every app. No need to close it down with swiping upward after double-tapping HOME. That's only in case you use an old version of iPhone, i.e. iPhone 4 which is pretty slow and has a not as much memory as 5S.
In case you own an iPhone 5 or 5S. Don't even think about closing any apps. JUST USE IT.
Every blonde girl wearing high-heels and taking selfies via Instagram can use it. You will figure it out as well

Good luck & I praise you for choosing Apple.
iPhone is still the best phone on the market

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I switched to iPhone from blackberry. You will love it once you adapt to the differences.

I dumped my windows based laptop in favor of an iPad. No virus/antivirus worries. No blue screens of death. No sudden unexplained crashes period.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Thanks for all the great replies. It is an Iphone 4 for someone who had asked. I'm a college student these days..not a trucker. lol.. It's refurbished too. I'll get back to the best gizmo money can buy in a few years when I graduate.

I didn't realize I could close things from the double tap of the home button but that is a BIG help. That's been one of the big annoyances. I've rarely seen any way that clearly closes things...and as also noted, the I-4 isn't the fastest phone in the display case. Although it blows my windows phone away, hands down.

In the fall I'll probably just get the best Ipad or whichever tablet is at the top and go with it. This phone does what I need if I have much more in a larger portable screen handy for real work.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrose

Every blonde girl wearing high-heels and taking selfies via Instagram can use it. You will figure it out as well

Woah woah woah there, big guy. No slamming the blondes with iphones and heels! The few I know are very savvy indeed...

Wrabbit - iPhones are awesome. Patience for the learning curve is your friend. It will become very intuitive after you work through your old phone habits. Good luck and enjoy!!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Sounds to me, that your home button is jacked up......they get worn out and so forth. Go to settings/general/accessibility/ all the way at the bottom.. accessibility shortcut/then assistive touch. and u should be good to go.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Hey, and welcome to the dark side....

Do you have an Apple store nearby? It doesn't matter if you bought your phone there or EBay, they will help you. One of the best things I ever did was walk into one and pull out my phone to ask for help. They can show you the ins and outs in five minutes flat.

Also, they have classes that are free, and believe me, that hour will change your life!

If you haven't completely stepped into the fruit stand and bought a Mac, consider buying one when you can. Link your stuff up and it is AMAZING. I can be at the grocery store and pull up a page I was browsing at home on the computer to show a friend. Not that I show them ATS or anything.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

That is probably what I am going to do next. I JUST learned there was a User Guide that explains everything imaginable about the stupid thing. I just don't HAVE a copy on my phone. lol... A family member showed me that a couple days ago and they had it put on at an Apple store. So.. I suppose I ought to do just that myself and go let the experts show the idiot (me, in this case) how to use the silly gizmo.

You know how it feels to not figure out a silly phone? lol.... I know I'm old when I need outside help with that. Ahh Well..

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I swore I would never give up my Droid. Hubby went and got me an IPhone for my birthday though, and I didn't want to disappoint him. After throwing it at the wall, calling it names, screaming at hubby to fix it, I finally took matters into my own hands.

I stepped into the Apple store with what must have been a very confused look on my face. They had me cheered up right away, and I have never looked back. The ONLY thing I miss about my Droid is the bigger screen. However, the convenience of holding the iPhone in one hand while operating is nice to.

Good luck on your adventures.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Not yet rich enough for an iPhone.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Go to YouTube and google "iphone tutorials". Probably add the model of your phone too as there are some differences now that the new operating system has come out - ios8 . It won't run on the iphone 4 - has to be a 4S. The 4 is still a very good phone.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I have the 4s, will not upgrade to the 5 or 6 if I can help it. I love my iPhone, got it when I finally got tired of carrying my cell phone and iPod.
Neo668: if you are with a major carrier, they will sell you a refurbished phone, I got mine for $1.00.

top topics

join