It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 in 10 Americans Believe God Created Earth 10,000 Years Ago

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Thanks CloudsTasteMetallic. It is honestly the way I see the world.

Mura

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Mura44

Ah, if only more were enlightened enough to see past the false dichotomy. After all, isn't worship of the "almighty fact" in itself a form of faith?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mura44
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Thanks CloudsTasteMetallic. It is honestly the way I see the world.

Mura

I also taught HS science (mostly Biology, but also Chem one year) for a few years after college. While, I don't have a problem with your beliefs or how you "see the world", from your student's perspective, you are the "authority figure" on science in most of their lives.

When you say things like "I believe in the science (any discipline), but . . . ", you are (whether intentional or not) reinforcing the "doubt" or incredulity in science (any discipline) their faith harbors, especially when you are of the same faith. Now, if the school is a religiously sponsored private institution or charter school . . . no problem, in fact it is probably expected at places like that. In reality though, you are teaching science and science says nothing for or against religion or supernatural entities. The commingling is doing nothing but sowing the seeds of confusion in a still developing mind.

My canned response to those who might bring up creationism or religious objections was:
This is a science class . . .In here we discuss science, therfore religion or supernatural means are not a part of that process. Science deals with understanding the natural world, the universe, and the laws and mechanisms that govern it. That which can be quantified. Science deals in evidence, not faith. If you have questions based on faith or religion, you need to take a philosophy, theology, or comparative mythology course. Those can be found at any local community or junior college, which you can enroll in as a HS student.

My canned response to "what religion are you" or "what are your beliefs":
This is a science class . . . Not a philosophy class. My personal beliefs have no bearing on the information you will be (or are) learning, just as your personal beliefs do not effect the information that I teach. If you want to talk about religion, please take a philosophy, theology, or comparative mythology course. Those can be found at any local community or junior college, which you can enroll in as a HS student.

But . . . I do applaud you for not letting your faith interfere with the curriculum. I have encountered some "science" teachers, at the HS level, that have no formal education in science. They were English Lit or simply Secondary Education majors. So, not only do they not understand the concepts they are charged with teaching, but they see no problem telling their students that they don't "believe" in certain aspects of the curriculum. Obviously, a disservice to the students and creates a lot of confusion.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Yes. Staring with the title. "4 in 10 Americans Believe God Created Earth 10,000 Years Ago"

The poll asked nothing about the creation of earth only the origins of man.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
You didn't try to bang her? a reply to: Shepard64

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

This is the question on the Gallup website where it clearly states as an option "God created human being pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years":

www.gallup.com...

What is the source you are using?

This is what it says on the livescience.com website:

Four in 10 Americans believe God created the Earth and anatomically modern humans, less than 10,000 years ago, according to a new Gallup poll.

Seems a pretty accurate representation of the poll to me.
edit on 6-6-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Except the poll makes absolutely no mention of "god created earth".

This is evidenced in your link, which is also the exact same point I previously made with the same link.

Where are you reading anything about the poll specifically asking about god creating the earth?

The title is false and misleading.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I don't think four in ten Americans believe god created the earth ten thousand years ago. I do think about four in ten don't believe in the theory of evolution and the timeline that the scientists are pushing as real though. Only an idiot would believe that we have great enough science to properly figure ages out millions of years ago. It was a very long time ago, but we do not have definite references to determine those dates. Three thousand years is not enough of a reference to date millions of years, we do not know all the conditions throughout time everywhere to determine that accurately.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You make it sound like there's a huge difference between these two equally ignorant beliefs. Regardless, the article is accurate. What's your point here?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

You make it sound like there's a huge difference between these two equally ignorant beliefs. Regardless, the article is accurate. What's your point here?

So you refuse to see the clear evidence of deception when it spelled out for you?

It seems like you are some kind of zealot with blinders on.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

What deception? Please explain how one belief is any less ignorant than the other and how they are mutually exclusive, considering they're part of the same fundamentalist religious framework. Also, you've yet to explain how there's "more between the lines than in the lines themselves" in the article. Seems like you're desperately trying to discredit a poll that highlights the staggering level of ignorance and scientific illiteracy in America.

What's the conspiracy here? To make creationists look ignorant and uninformed? They seem to do a good enough job of that themselves. The narcissism of small differences indeed.
edit on 6-6-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Except the poll makes absolutely no mention of "god created earth".

This is evidenced in your link, which is also the exact same point I previously made with the same link.

Where are you reading anything about the poll specifically asking about god creating the earth?

The title is false and misleading.

No. It's not:

As part of the Values and Beliefs Survey, Gallup called a random sample of 1,028 landline and cellphone users and asked them which of three descriptions most closely matched their beliefs: that humans have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process; that humans have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process; or that God created human beings pretty much in their present form sometime in the last 10,000 years or so.

They do ask when humans came around, in this case from an evolution since millions of years ago with the help of God, millions of years ago without the help of God or pretty much in their present form sometime in the last 10,000 years or so.

So, if I think the answer is millions of years ago without the help of God, where were those said humans then?

On Earth. The title is accurate and the summary made by livescience is correct.

www.livescience.com...
edit on 6 6 2014 by SonoftheSun because: missing words

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I just see it as dangerous to science when we start throwing out the 10,000 number since that is the young earth creationist number and then we start a debate about whether science or genesis is correct and well...science of course.

I mean if you take that 10,000 date for the universe then how do you explain light years or dinosaur fossils or ice ages in the past or any of that. This kind of thinking is really bad for science.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It sounds like a very fundamental controlled poll, not real. Something that the president might endorse and his Saudi friends, hmmm.....

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
So when something is carbon dated to be older then 10.000 its a lie? .....

I don't get it...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Either way, God or no God..10,000 years......really...

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun
*snip*
Don't get me wrong, I don't like that the title mentions Americans and I wish that this thread doesn't turn into an "Americans are ignorant" bashing thread. *snip*

But a Christian bashing thread is fine with you?

On page one alone, I see Christians described as follows:

medieval, ignorant, idiots, retarded, stupid, dumb, complainers, zealotry, fundamentalist, extremely dangerous and should be monitored, psychologically unhealthy, uneducated, incapable of critical thinking

Nice, ATS. Way to show your tolerance and acceptance of others, and your impeccable manners. *sarcasm off*

This thread should be removed.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

This thread should be removed.

Why? Because it doesn't conform with your opinion of what a thread should be?

I don't see it as a Christian bashing thread but I understand why you would think so. As your first word in your list of Christian description is from me (Medieval), I will only say that the thinking behind an idea that says that Earth and humans are 10,000 years old or less is, in fact, Medieval. For me, it's like thinking that the Sun revolves around the Earth or that the Earth is flat (which wasn't said in this poll just to avoid more polemic). It reflects the same ignorance for me. Christian or not.

If there is anything I see attacked in this thread, and Beezzer warned it earlier in the thread, it's intelligence.

Questions for you who say that this poll and this thread is Christian bashing:

Would it be the different if the poll was based on Atheists giving those answers instead of Christians?

I doubt it. Ignorance is a lack of information. That is what that poll represents.
edit on 6 7 2014 by SonoftheSun because: missing words

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

medieval, ignorant, idiots, retarded, stupid, dumb, complainers, zealotry, fundamentalist, extremely dangerous and should be monitored, psychologically unhealthy, uneducated, incapable of critical thinking

Perfect descriptions of a religious person, so what is the problem.

If you believe in the invisible man in the sky, why not the Easter bunny, Santa Claus..etc..they are about as plausible as any religions God.

Especially if you use that belief to judge others.

To think there are world leaders out there with this belief system and we wonder why the world is F'd up.

I pity North America if religion ever gets it's power back...just look at the Middle East and what having religion in charge does over there.

Abolish religion and let us get out of the medieval ages.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Text To think there are world leaders out there with this belief system and we wonder why the world is F'd up.

I pity North America if religion ever gets it's power back...just look at the Middle East and what having religion in charge does over there. 

Abolish religion and let us get out of the medieval ages.

Personally, my belief is if there was no religion people would kill each other over science. No matter what a society believes there will be fighting. There will be a caste system (pecking order), there will be divisions, and there will be destruction.

It only takes a set of eyes to see that unity and coexistence is actually contrary to our biology and innate inclination to fight and control our surroundings.

I say grab some pop corn and watch it burn.

edit on 7-6-2014 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join