It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 in 10 Americans Believe God Created Earth 10,000 Years Ago

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

You are over-complicating the entire discussion, needlessly.

This poll was about creationism, the idea that modern man was created by a deity max. 10.000 years ago. Anything else is needless over-complicating or diverting what this entire thread was about.

I do not know who frustrates me more, the guy who believes that man was created 10,000 ago by God, like God just *poof* us on the planet, or the guy who does a 10 second Goggle search and concludes that 200,000 is the last time we evolved and doesn't have a clue where that 200,000 came from or what it really means.

As I said the poll was disingenuous and in the vast majority of the positives the people most likely said yes just because the main point of the poll was whether you believe God created man or not.

It is as simple as to shorten this poll/debate to the idea that BEFORE 10.000 THERE WAS NO MAN, or he was so significant different from "modern man" that he cannot be considered our ancestor..so basically, in a nutshell, BEFORE 10.000 there was no being on this planet from which we (could have) evolved later. The *exact* definition of what is modern man is really not..relevant here.

But the poll did not ask that... It did not say "do you believe that the first man of any kind walked this earth less than 10,000 years ago" or as you say "was there no man on earth before 10,000 years ago" It talked about our "current form" which I could even say 200 years depending on what I decide to use as a measurement.

Now..what I did was bring in the example with Blombos Cave where IT WAS SHOWN beyond any "reasonable" doubt that up to 140.000+ years there did indeed live HUMANS/HUMANOIDS/MAN/ANCESTORS however you want to define it. Those even "mass produced" stuff like beads, fishing hooks etc. PLUS they already used a form of writing/language and possibly math because they found engravings on those things.

Ya I get it "complex math and writing skills"

And you know what? You kind of frustrate me too, because like others here you do a quick Goggle search and latch on to the most extreme example and typically the most unofficial too. You say that "beyond any "reasonable" doubt" that up to 140.000+ years" wow! You guys throw Millenniums around like as if 50,000 years here or there really doesn't matter.

To actually look at your example, from a more reliable source, like Indiana.edu:

Summary
Blombos Cave is an important site on the Southern Cape of South Africa for supporting
“modern behavior” of the Middle Stone Age people. Many contend that the MSA people were
not fully modern in behavior because the artifact remains do not support the working of organic
material, fishing, and other advanced behavior. They also project that these behaviors may not
have originated in Africa. However, at this particular site, evidence supports all three, and dates
to as far back as at least 40,000 years ago.

Dates
Like many other MSA sites, the dates for the approximate occupation time at the cave are
not solid. Archaeologists have attempted to use radiocarbon dating and archaeological finds,
such as tools, to develop an educated estimate of the age of this site. Most tend to agree that the
site was inhabited approximately 50,000-60,000 years ago. Carbon and Nitrogen analysis was
used to measure the dates of the bone points. They took samplings from the MSA levels, and the
LSA levels, to compare the content of Carbon and Nitrogen. The LSA samplings contained a
larger amount of both Carbon and Nitrogen, due to the fact that the LSA materials were younger
and therefore better preserved. They estimate the bone points of the MSA to be slightly older
than 40,000 years.

So who is the ignorant one? The people on the poll were off by 30,000 years and you are off by 110,000+ years, but to you it is all "beyond any "reasonable" doubt". Well I'm reasonable and I doubt you have a clue to what you are talking about.

So..what other evidence would someone need for that BEFORE 10.000 YEARS AGO man was on this planet?

The poll didn't ask that, so the people polled did not need to make that choice....My point is if we went back to 100 of those positives and showed them the Blombos Cave evidence and then asked them do you think it is reasonable that ancient man did all that 40,000 to 50,000 years ago we would most likely see 99 out of the 100 would say yes.

But as I said the purpose of the poll was not to determine that, it was to attack faith.

You are correct, 200.000 years ago or possibly longer ago even (?) there may have NOT been any man/man-like species, and "modern" man may have come at the scene right about that time..but this doesn't change the fact that 100.000 - 140.000 there was some very advanced MAN in that cave which obviously entirely contradict the idea as in the poll that man appeared here 10.000 years ago or younger even.

I disagree, I would say 40,000 to 50,000 there was ancient man there, that most likely had very little resemblance to todays man, and lacked in brain power and mostly the physical ability for complex speech. There is a reason why man came on the advanced scene in such a robust way in the last 10,000 years than in the prior 300,000 years.

WHY would he need to create man around 8.0000-10.000 BCE when they were obviously already rather smart 130.000 years earlier and showed typical characteristics up to and incl. language?

The difference between you and me is I DO look at the evidence, I don't cherry pick it as you and others like to do.

You need to ask the question... Why didn't man develop quicker? why wasn't todays civilization 150,000 years ago if man back then was as capable as today's man.

You go back 150,000 years and we are talking lower than down syndrome level of intelligence, grunt type noises for speech, but much physically stronger homo style examples. Their brain and voice box was not developed yet. As we push 50,000 years we get your Blombos Cave example, still not there, but better. After the last big bottle necking man has advance in the brain power and physical communications areas at an extreme rate. (this is the point where some think alien manipulation has taken place) with such a massive increase in our capabilities.

This pushes us to about 6000 years ago is when modern man finally started to have real complex speech, writing, math and other higher levels of thought.

So back to our poll, when did man as he is to today happen? I could easily say in the last 10,000 years fully believing that we started our path 4 billion years ago as RNA and amino acids. Please tell me what "present form" means? I can easily say that 30,000 ago man was not like "present form" even though we are related.

Now it boils down to do you think God influenced it, or aliens, or post bottle necking of the archaic humans from the environment that had huge consensuses to how we are today. Or even a quick 200,000 year Goggle search to validate and encompass all that one knows on the subjects as some in this thread seem to have, while they bash others as ignorant due to their faith....geez

edit on 9-6-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SonoftheSun

stupid idiots

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Yeah, if we stick to the specifics we don't cloud the issue. Take a belief in God, evolution and everything else out of this thread.

Could the earth really be only 10,000 or less years old?

We should be talking about light years and ice ages, dinosaur fossils and carbon dating.

But the poll had nothing to do with how old the earth was......why do we keep going in that direction?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

originally posted by: Woodcarver
I see no problem with any of those labels. Don't you think it's dangerous to allow false information to propagate? I mean to say that it is religious texts which propagate exclusion, racism, hate for gays, fear of punishment for not conforming to views not held by science. A general distrust of science.

I think that is very dangerous to society and the world as a whole.

If you have two unproven theories, then talking about one isn't any more "false information" than talking about the other. We do have two unproven theories here. Anyone with a real understanding of science knows this. Claiming one side is wrong because of religion is a lame excuse to insult them. It's also a very poor argument for your aide of the issue. No facts, just insults? Lame.

I think the attitude that anyone with any religious belief is somehow wrong is dangerous to society, and the world as a whole.
Religion has been brought into the lab plenty of times. There is nothing there except a belief. There is nothing there to measure. Ther is no evidence of god to observe. Therefor religion is at best a hypothesis. No theory at all. What claims can you make about religion that couldn't also have a secular explanation? Specifically your religion whatever it is. What can you do with your religion that can't be accomplished without it? How does your religion solve problems that no other religion can? This is the point. If you could show that your religion has even one property that is not found without it, you would make worldwide headlines.

Nothing has ever been shown. That is why religion is a hypothesis. There is no difference between a god that doesn't do anything and a god that is made up and doesn't exist. There is no way to tell them apart.

Look up the god helmet. It is a helmut that produces a strong electromagnetic signal around your brain. It gives the wearer the sense of awe and the feeling like they are in the presence of a god. They have pinpointed the site in the brain that is responsible for these feelings. When they look at these signals in deeply religious people, they see overactivity. The chemicals that are responsible can be countered and balanced. It's all chemistry therefor natural. No gods required.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: amazing
Yeah, if we stick to the specifics we don't cloud the issue. Take a belief in God, evolution and everything else out of this thread.

Could the earth really be only 10,000 or less years old?

We should be talking about light years and ice ages, dinosaur fossils and carbon dating.

But the poll had nothing to do with how old the earth was......why do we keep going in that direction?

Because that was the title of the thread.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
a reply to: Woodcarver

Evolution is undeniable when you do the work and study it for yourself. The real problem is convincing people that they need a solid education on a matter before they get on here and try to argue.

There is only one HUGE flaw with that premise...

It is impossible to understand propaganda by STUDYING propaganda.

That would be the same thing as studying the NIST report in order to understand 9/11.

Or trying to understand a cult by joining the cult and reading their own writings.

"Now, it is easy to show that Darwinism, one of the pillars of modern biology, is nothing but a kind of cult, a cult religion. I am not exaggerating. It has no scientific validity whatsoever. Darwin's so-called theory of evolution is based on absurdly irrational propositions, which did not come from scientific observations, but were artificially introduced from the outside, for political-ideological reasons."

Jonathan Tennenbaum: Toward a True Science of Life

"The theory of the transmutation of species is a scientific mistake, untrue in its facts, unscientific in its method, and mischievous in its tendency." ~ Prof. J Agassiz, of Harvard in Methods of Study in Natural History

"...many elite controlled organizations are heavily involved in the spread of the evolution theory"

"The illuminati have a much deeper agenda than most people know, they promote and fund the teaching of evolution, while behind the curtains they worship Lucifer the devil as their own God.. they know the truth in the Bible and they know satan is real, its the sheep who are under the illusion" Source

Ever since the time of Darwin, part of the major press has been given the task of disseminating Darwinist indoctrination. The Darwinists of the time were well aware that the theory of evolution would never be corroborated by any scientific evidence, but produced a Darwinist dictatorship as the result of systematic and organized activities and charged part of the major press with spreading the fraud. The press in question is still at work today. The only difference is that the Darwinist fraud they perpetrate has now been exposed.

Darwinist Propaganda Techniques

All of these posts are just assertions. There just from people saying it's not true, even blaming the illuminatti. What is not true about it and why is that not true. You know, like, reasons and stuff.
edit on 9-6-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: Woodcarver

I tested out of all the science in college, so I guess you are right that I was not formally trained in it. I did have to take the highest math class needed for my field though, I couldn't test out of all of that at MTU.

by testing out, do you mean you failed all of your science courses?

I evaluate everything, I am not limited to evaluating things by the rules that people have made. I examine all sides of the story.
so how do you know your methods are accurate? What methods do you use to evaluate "things"?

Yes science did create all of our technology, but you have to ask yourself if this technology is even necessary on a regular basis. Technology can make us dependent on technology.
ok turn off your a/c, give your car/bicycle away, break your phone, and go forage for food in the woods (without your clothes) now how necessary does tech seem?

I understand radio carbon dating well, reading many articles on it.

No you don't.

In the coming years with the tools we have created, we will find out much more of science and we will be saying how did we get this so messed up. Opening your mind and observing the whole picture is crucial to making the right evaluation of the evidence. You cannot cherry pick evidence that backs your theory and discount things that do not fit it. You cannot narrow your vision to see the big picture.

Yes now apply this to yourself and get back into studying real science and stay away from religious science websites.

I have a lot of respect for many scientists and researchers, especially those who evaluate things properly and try to keep their comprehension on the whole picture. In the case of dinosaurs, it doesn't matter how long ago they existed, whether it was a half million or five million years ago is immaterial. It doesn't really matter, except to the ones putting the dates on things. We should spend more time examining things so we don't mess it up and go extinct ourselves.

Why do you keep saying it's not important to know when the dinos were around? What the hell man? In a curious mind, everything is important. Especially timelines. I really want you to work on your next post in this thread. Answer these questions in detail.

By saying you don't care about timelines you are accepting ignorance. It seems important enough to deny it but not important enough to study it.
edit on 9-6-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
For religious people ALL science is already invented long time ago we here just growing and preparing our self, learning to use and respect what we got. After all world was made with us by using pretty advanced technology... Small chance we actually might make some small advancements on something owned by other forces (like not inventing car but finding nicer way for car mirror, in small scale)

For sure we might be in middle of garden where was something else going on many times before or even in world that was placed, packed like that on purpose, including drawings, memory and time - and then started (like you suspend/hibernate computer and start it middle of work... no program would really know anything more then the time they have given or who ever can get update from INTERNET time server / meditate from space updates... like, was virtual PC copied unlimited times and started in various locations and situations
or are we only drive that invented himself by chance ... from motherboard to drives to software.. to widgets in programs who we are.. but these widgets.. can link and organize... from here, what and how is possible we can pull imagination in to epic high but it would be like comparing old steam train with human biology, that has been done in past.. still good )

what you think guys how this "religion/aliens is great hypothesis" sounds for people who have flow around in different dimensions (or whatever its called), traveled in time, talked with various entities who say they was our makers and showing proofs in visions or even meeting in unexplainable alternate reality Biblical figures, experiences so strong that human is with no doubt renewed and Knows She/He saw or experienced what one did.

It like one is trying to run around like mad kid with pieces of stone and rambling about that some are made of red... and some are softer.. and that you can put 2 stones together, and 4.. and make circles from it and (million other things) ... while other one tries to find ways for explaining "Yes, this is what this house is made of, and can be made of different stones as well...." But kid screams that stones are not this huge thing around them, they are round and separate..." ... and the religious one interrupts as more important point is need to be discussed, not IF there is stones,
if they are different and can they be used for this or that...
But houses that can be built, what is the reason For Others we should build it ,
what will we do inside it that is needed for masters of construction companies.. " "and for these who run them them them..." ...

More on religion point of world so one would get to see HOW different level in some ways we talk, ...and how less we concerned about fossils that can be results of millions of situations from beings and games, compared to importance what people Do. Also how time can just be... replaced. As Chinese is one great way to explain about three as is science, as is some other ways for other beings, science is just himself one language, method and one version knowledge, that for luck is so expandable. But these rules that every blind technology, have to be able to spot something before it can be considered real is a bit kids stuff, but even that language is needed. Perhaps. Like if someone with some plants can take you to another planet .. this planet is not "real" as long "Hubble telescope" can not see it... how funny sadly is that.

How would we spend less time for inventing bicycle (or arguing that metal is made of molecules..), and finding knowledge what would tell us why to drive ... to use house for calm and needed things that are needed in Main assumed logical highest point and in micro scare (like taking care of flowers in yard, that is more need for Us) and to believe that All tech what is needed will be given on time. In the form of Tesla or Gates, so we would keep being inspired and imagination working, heart pulsing for Her (to who we want to show off most things done good, from mother to girl next door who smiles) ___ So where does this all fit ? I mean person can be even sometimes more easily convinced on times, that there was no yesterday by friends or that one is other person... but some of these experiences/contacts are so strong that one knows fully 10 years later what happened. But among billions of people who know that world is made or that we have growers these experiences are ordinary and not posted usually to Web or newspapers but shared with people from religion. Often with experiences intelligence and peace is inherited so no sharing or talking is needed, or even avoided in spiritual purpose (as no need to talk about that you discover you have legs, as its shame you did not know so long.... its like bot smoking first revolutions... that we later feel ashamed about) I know guy who was famous rock band member and then one day middle of home road got strong vision and message that one have to open up Church, one did soon and it is working up to now 20 years later.
So drugs and electronics are not for him,but shortly these skills are for man to impress Her Same applies when you 40 some years... as when you was 4 and show painting or skill to adult. In Her and often around you is eyes of world who look you as baby just because thats all we can be on the eyes of Nature. This realization might ruin boner of many man but this is how it is, and most forgiving after your mother (how ever she is made to act) will be Your wife who is destined to find excuse for every your mistake as long you realize, at least humbly sometimes... who is Her

___
So where does this all fit ? I mean person can be even sometimes more easily convinced on times, that there was no yesterday by friends or that one is other person... but some of these experiences/contacts are so strong that one knows fully 10 years later what happened.
But among billions of people who know that world is made or that we have growers these experiences are ordinary and not posted usually to Web or newspapers but shared with people from religion. Often with experiences intelligence and peace is inherited so no sharing or talking is needed, or even avoided in spiritual purpose (as no need to talk about that you discover you have legs, as its shame you did not know so long.... its like bot smoking first revolutions... that we later feel ashamed about)

I know guy who was famous rock band member and then one day middle of home road got strong vision and message that one have to open up Church, one did soon and it is working up to now 20 years later.

So drugs and electronics are not for him,but shortly these skills are for man to impress Her
Same applies when you 40 some years... as when you was 4 and show painting or skill to adult. In Her and often around you is eyes of world who look you as baby just because thats all we can be on the eyes of Nature. This realization might ruin boner of many man but this is how it is, and most forgiving after your mother (how ever she is made to act) will be Your wife who is destined to find excuse for every your mistake as long you realize, at least humbly sometimes... who is Her

So are we still in to this time conversation or can we start to make alright these things we can assume to know have been needed to be better in Any time, and what we for sure can see now that also needed to be better today that will help past, future and all Worlds we are blessed to be involved thanks to Her
edit on 9-6-2014 by Waffa because: corrections.. if they matter Ö )

edit on 9-6-2014 by Waffa because: more about explaining time differences .. how we look it from many other way.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

There's a huge distinction which you are missing. The distinction is that legitimate scientists who follow one religion or another don't go into their lab with the answers from the Bible and work backwards trying to fit the data to validate the Bible. Francis Collins said that he sees god in his lab every day - but he's not looking to stamp out modern science in the process like Creationists. Just because a particular scientist is a devout Christian doesn't mean that he or she is required to skew the scientific evidence to prove a point. On the contrary, the scientists on your list understood what OBJECTIVE evidence is - if they didn't they would have never come up with reproducible results.

And although the majority of Nobel Prize winners may be Christian, this is a more significant statistic:

"Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 850 individuals,[2] of whom at least 20% were Jews or of Jewish descent, although Jews comprise less than 0.2% of the world's population,[3] (or 1 in every 500 people). Overall, Jews have won a total of 41% of all the Nobel Prizes in economics, 28% of medicine, 26% of Physics, 19% of Chemistry, 13% of Literature and 9% of all peace awards.[4]"

There's no conflict between religion and science if you understand that one is a belief system which requires no proof while the other is an objective, inquiring system requiring proof and reproducibility.

The conflict comes when religion tries to force its unprovable beliefs into the natural world of science. That's the battle royale.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Actually time conversation is great,
And religion can not really force on science something as science is SMALL part of religion, natural part of religion, we just see that this knowledge humans learn here is long time ago known as basic better ways, But when nonreligious science comes to tell "how things are(in this moment..)" to hundreds of millions children, then sometimes these people have-to be brought back to real world or our species will stop evolving in rate that we should, we should evolve in peace soon imho2

My self kind of hopes this land here has been used for long time and last, current main species is relevant to last 6000 years, the ones who was made to bring order to space.

One thing is kind of interesting... in Bible there does kind of feel like one would talk about some other human beings / cultures ...as they would have been made by another rules. (or owners...)

Not so positive and positive ways as well..
But as always, sometimes answers come later, years later... there is reason why its called life long book, living text.

Moving time
biblehub.com...
biblehub.com...
For that to gappen what have to be made if all is possible= ?

www.biblegateway.com... The Stewardship of Time
bible.org... A Time for Everything

edit on 9-6-2014 by Waffa because: how things are comment

edit on 9-6-2014 by Waffa because: imho2

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

In reference to radio carbon dating, that's really old technology not used much in paleontology any more:

Abstract

Many archeological and paleoanthropological sites cannot be dated by well established and common dating techniques such as uranium series (U-series) or argon-argon (40Ar/39Ar) because of the lack of materials that are suitable for these techniques. Most sites, however, contain bones and teeth, and the latter can be used to obtain electron spin resonance (ESR) age estimates. The theoretical age range of ESR dating accuracy lies between a few thousand and more than a million years.

Many materials found in archaeological sites are able to trap electronic charges as a result of bombardment by radioactive radiation from the surrounding sediment. The presence of these trapped charges can be detected by electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy: the intensity of the ESR signal is a measure of the accumulated dose and thus of the age. Tooth enamel is ubiquitous at archaeological sites and is well suited for ESR dating, with a precision of about 10-20%. This method has now been used to date many sites critical to the biological and cultural evolution of modern man. Dates for sites in Israel and Africa have demonstrated the existence of anatomically modern humans more than 100 ka ago.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

There's really not anything "messed up" here - it's just a matter of research and finding the latest techniques. I don't mean this as a criticism of your point of view - it's just that it happens fast and the general public is not likely to be reading the journal articles.

ESR replaced C14 methods quite a while a go. It was originally used in oil exploration but has spread across many different disciplines including archeology and paleontology.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Waffa

What a lot of waffa!
The trouble with this kind of pulpit waffle that seems to come from a religious random word generator bot, is that it has those that believe, pretending they know what the hell your talking about, nodding in agreement and those of us that don't... howling with laughter!

How can such a wall of text get us anywhere at all, it just confirms our need to believe anything that make us feel significant and give us a some spurious point.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Phantom423

dating archeological is different. We have evidence that forms the dating technology that adequately is related to most of the time frame. Examining something from three thousand years ago and using that to find something up to sixty thousand years ago is realistic. Now using that three thousand year old evidence to figure out something millions of years ago is not realistic. We do not know all of the conditions of the world in between. For all we know, there could have been a massive outburst of the sun half a million years ago or we got belted with radioactive meteors. We could have had a restructuring of the crust which released who knows what. Science does not know for sure what happened in the past. But of course many scientists believe they know. Now, I think in the next hundred years they will learn more.

I can't stand when people treat theories like facts. A theory is a theory. Testing procedures are designed to prove theories, not actually find the truth. If you design a testing procedure to show something you think is true, it can distort the results and all the theories that are created from the original theory. All the testing procedures used to date things use conditions that we assume were present in times long ago. We do not know the conditions during the days of dinosaurs, we do not know the conditions of the time after the dinosaurs died off.

I do not believe in creationism but I do not believe the testing procedures that they tout as accurate are really accurate either. We do not have a baseline sample directly obtained form a million years ago picked fresh off the earth with no aging involved. Now if someone wants to invent a time machine and acquire a sample, then I will evaluate and possibly accept these figures that science gives.

I quit, like I said it doesn't really matter. I can't think of one real reason other than people priding themselves on this knowledge which makes it important. I do not repeat something like a parrot if I do not feel it is true. I don't care who tells me it is true, if I don't research all aspects of the subject, I will not tell someone it is true.

If you notice, I am not saying that this is not possible, I am challenging the validity of the testing procedures and I am also challenging the amount of money being spent on something that does not matter. Just because consensus of the time is that this matters, I do not have to accept this. Our country is seventeen trillion in the hole, I do not think anyone is looking at whether something is necessary in the first place.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonoftheSun
Not sure if this is the right Board for this, so please move if necessary. Thank you.

Hey Friends,

I find this quite unbelievable and would enjoy opinions.

Four in 10 Americans believe God created the Earth and anatomically modern humans, less than 10,000 years ago, according to a new Gallup poll.

With all of our technological advancements that permit us to research a little about this planet's history and our evolution, I cannot conceive that 40% are still living in medieval times.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like that the title mentions Americans and I wish that this thread doesn't turn into an "Americans are ignorant" bashing thread. I would be willing to bet that this percentage might even be higher if it was a global poll.

I just don't get it.

If you read the article linked below, you will find other gems as well, such as:

- 80% believe in miracles (okay...I'm one of those...)...

- 75% believe in the virgin birth of Jesus...

- one out of four has no clue that the Earth revolves around the Sun and not the other way around...

And more...

Linkie

Stumped.

Like, Hello? This isn't North Korea or Iran where information is not available. We have the internet, we have education for those who need it...so...how can this be?

My "Deny Ignorance" meter blew a fuse while reading this article. Really, how can this be, in 2014?

Thoughts?

I personally do not see anything wrong with that. It does not make these people any more less moral. In fact many of them would qualify as better humans than you and me.

It is not about education here. Thats' just how we are all 'wired' and trust me, it is no indication of anything. Zero.

my dollar in (we have no 'cents' in Canada any more )))LOL

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

First, who came up with the numbers and based on what, how many people polled, who validated etc. I can create a poll to say what ever I want. Just wait till next year and elections kick off lol.

Next, you should have just named the thread bash believers instead. I can understand debate and such but you guys just came out calling anyone with a belief other than your own petty, small, dumb, and few other definitions. To state that as fact however, just shows ignorance on your own parts.

The fact is the numbers are much higher than that and even large numbers of scientists that are actually going the other way now.

Fact is you guys should be ashamed just slamming those who believe. Sound like a bunch of children on playground.

Like I said should have named it come slam believers, no discussion allowed. Pathetic....

The Bot

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: dlbott

First, who came up with the numbers and based on what, how many people polled, who validated etc. I can create a poll to say what ever I want. Just wait till next year and elections kick off lol.

Next, you should have just named the thread bash believers instead. I can understand debate and such but you guys just came out calling anyone with a belief other than your own petty, small, dumb, and few other definitions. To state that as fact however, just shows ignorance on your own parts.

The fact is the numbers are much higher than that and even large numbers of scientists that are actually going the other way now.

Fact is you guys should be ashamed just slamming those who believe. Sound like a bunch of children on playground.

Like I said should have named it come slam believers, no discussion allowed. Pathetic....

The Bot

Trust me, it does not matter. People who OP has brought into argument are normal people. Why do we even discuss all this?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I agree. Christianity is the usual target, and its BS. Every religion you listed is just as ridiculous, if not worse. Look at Judaism for example: hundreds of years of direct communication with their God, and they still managed to do the exact wrong thing almost every time.

Of course it's not just hokey religions. The modern age has people who disbelieve the same religions I do, while still professing belief in miracles, angels, ghosts, big foot, flying saucers, esp, and so on. If we are honest with ourselves, we must conclude that none of these things are demonstrable, verifiable or provable. Belief in aliens without evidence is just as silly as belief in magic, or ancient desert deities.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Think about how stupid the average american is... then understand that half of them are dumber then that.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
The species Homo sapiens is easily trained with rewards. There are trainers with bad intent. There are trainers who "independently" form erroneous ideas. There are trainers who merely parrot incorrect, yet preferable information. This leaves very few trainers to teach the truth. Also, trying to remove an ignorant animal from its pleasure zone can be dangerous. It's hard to rise above training when reality is less pleasant than perception.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join