It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Science Experiment Will Make You Never Want To Drink Coke Again

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

A guy known as the Crazy Russian Hacker decided to film a science experiment: What happens when you boil a bottle of Coke?

SOURCE

Here are a few pictures of the process before we watch the video...

Step one - Pour bottle of Coke in pot on stove:

Step 2 - Heat Liquid to a boil and burn off the liquid:

Step 2 - Heat Liquid to a boil and burn off the liquid:

And of course, the video:

Isn't that disgusting?

Look at all the left-over gunk!

I always knew that this kind of beverage is harmful and should be avoided as much as possible, but this video puts things into a new perspective - IMO at least. Coke and other similar beverages have always been something that I avoid, but this will definitely make me think twice next time someone offers me some Coca-Cola.

ETA:

I forgot to mention that one of the main focuses of posting this is what's in the goop, not just how gross it looks. High-Fructose Corn-Syrup is what they use as a sweetener, not cane sugar as people in this thread have suggested...there is a major difference.

This post elaborates in more detail...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6/6/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: Update about HFCS

+25 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Corruption Exposed

Have you ever heated a big pile of sugar? It turns into a thing called caramel. Now I am not defending Coke by any means it is not good for us, but it is loaded with sugar and this is what happens when you heat sugar....Just my 2 cents

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

For one thing, the bottle doesn't have a coke label visible or any writing. --I'll give you that.

But study the images and you magically see that the original pan is then replaced by a larger one with lots more goop in it than was boiled out in the first one.

Now, if you or anyone wants to accept this at face value, be my guest.

Honestly, I suggest you pull this thread.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
This isn't disgusting at all. The left over residue is the carmelized sugars that are derived from citrus fruits. They don't evaporate. If anything this makes me want a soda.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Honestly, I suggest you pull this thread.

Why would I do such a thing? Because you suggested it?

I think not

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein
Yeah what you said.
+1
OP, if this is the case you should stop consuming anything other than lettuce and leafy greens.
There are a lot of bad things out there so they say, but when I die...and I will someday, I will be able to say that I did not exist, I LIVED!!
Bacon is my vegetable of choice!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

I get the point you are making, but to me this is just disgusting and is not the same as making caramel. When you make caramel and melt sugar, you are not using high-fructose corn-syrup.

Do you put HFCS in your caramel?

I sure don't!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

It's not real cane sugar, they have used HFCS since the 1980s...

That is not sugar you are looking at...just saying.

What you are looking at is a bunch of additives.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The only conflict I have with what you say is "sugars" If it started as high fructose corn syrup, can it still be called sugars or is it a super poison now?

I understand I just said in my previous post that some things are just bad but...Even I know not to ingest HFCS.
Pepsi and mountain dew throwback for me, they are made with real sugar!
(Edit)
However, if you boiled down a real soda that has real sugar, I'm sure the same thing would happen.

edit on 6-6-2014 by g146541 because: hfcs is truly poison

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChefSlug
This isn't disgusting at all. The left over residue is the carmelized sugars that are derived from citrus fruits. They don't evaporate. If anything this makes me want a soda.

Exactly.... there's nothing really bad in this video, just the colour is "gross"

edit on 6/6/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Bunch of boiled sugar and coloring. You would get something similar from boiling sugar water. I do not drink soda but I wouldn't be scared of sugar.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

If anything this makes me want a soda.

LOL!

Have at her pal...bottoms up!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Let the man finish his coffee first!!
Or tea if you are across the pond.
Carry on.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

I see an overwhelming amount of people who are claiming that this is harmless leftover burned sugar but you're overlooking the fact that they use high-fructose corn-syrup as a sweetener.

Effects of HFCS

5 Reasons High Fructose Corn Syrup Will Kill You

Nom nom Mercury...it's okay, it only contains trace amounts /sarcasm

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: g146541

OP, if this is the case you should stop consuming anything other than lettuce and leafy greens.

If you squeeze the juice out of a pile of lettuce and boil the juice down you will get a black tarry mess in the bottom of the pot.
Maybe the OP should stop consuming anything but distilled water.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Looks like my failed caramel sauce for flan. Flan I can make, easy. But ask me to make a sauce for topping, and it's tar by the time I'm done ruining it.

Edit: And yeah that to the poster who said they want a soda now. Me, too, lol.
edit on 6/6/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I'm not saying that the Coke or any other fizzy drink or junk food is healthy, I'm talking about the gloop left behind.
It's perfectly normal gloop, it happens after you reduce a liquid too much and over boil it... if he kept boiling it would become a hard, crusty plastic like substance.

If the thread is about HFCS then cool, seems though from the video, it's about a gross black gloop.... but that's not really gross when you realise that it's something that happens all the time and is a method used in cooking.

Coke is full of crap, for sure, as are most fizzy drinks and candies and ready meals, I'm certainly not disputing that.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Looks like my failed caramel sauce for flan. Flan I can make, easy. But ask me to make a sauce for topping, and it's tar by the time I'm done ruining it.

I know homemade is better, but that's why they sell caramel sauce in the ice cream topping section at the store. Too easy too burn that stuff when you make it. In the factory, they use high tech controls to hold the ingredients at just the right temps to avoid the burning. But if you do it yourself, you can hit higher temps and get more intense and complex flavors ... as long as you don't go too far.
Now you have me thinking. I am going to try boiling some Coca Cola down to see what it tastes like at various stages. There might be something good there at some point. They sell barbeque sauces with cola in them.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

My concern is what's in the goop.

Perhaps I could have elaborated in more detail but I made the mistake to assume that people were actually aware of what is in these products. I would edit my OP but due to all the replies it would mess up the flow of the thread so I will have to explain in the follow up posts I guess.

It may look the same when you boil it down, but it's really not.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
You want to see something scary, next time your kid loses a tooth, put it in a glass of coke, for a day, and see what becomes of it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join