Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Police breaking into cars for *suspicion* of marijuana

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Fortunately, the Supreme Court of the United States has a fairly extensive body of law commonly called the “automobile exception” or the Carroll Doctrine which gives clear direction to police officers on this topic.

However, individual states, in interpreting their state constitutions, can be more restrictive upon police in regard to these warrantless searches of automobiles.

Thus, as long as a state is deciding law based upon its interpretation of its own constitution, the state can be more restrictive than the Supreme Court. However, if the state is interpreting the 4th Amendment of the United States Constitution, then they must follow the body of law established by the United States Supreme Court.

Link

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny I'm going to stir the pot a little here and throw a conspiracy in the mix. Being a resident of Lakeland, which is about 25 miles east of Tampa, I listen to 102.5 The Bone a lot. During weekday mornings you can tune in to hear a very controversial radio host named Bubba The Love Sponge. If you're a resident of central Florida, then you know who he is. It's no secret that the Mayor of Tampa, Mr. Bob Buckhorn has it out for Bubba. A quick internet search will produce a ton of stuff, including FBI related things about a alleged recent setup regarding a couple attorneys. I also believe Tampa police has it out for him as well. Anyway, Horn Blasters is always being talked about on Bubbas show. I believe Bubba and this Horn Blasters guy are friends. My conspiracy is this. What if the tpd were trying to pressure or scare them? They know who this guy is, they see his truck, they know he's affiliated with Bubba, so they try to harass him and show them "him" who's the boss. I'm telling you, this isn't just random.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Hmmmm. Sounds like some tort law violations. Trespass to be specific.

I strongly recommend "law enforcement" read the recent Millbrook v United States ruling, then brush up a bit on Article 6 US Constitution and tort law.

If you go outside your jurisdiction, you are personally liable. Yes, that includes while doing your normal employment routine. Thank you SCOTUS.

I smell lots of civil lawsuits coming your way soon.
edit on 6-6-2014 by Not Authorized because: Millbrook. Damn tablet

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
One of the LEO's wanted the opportunity to acquire that righteous F650 at a police auction. Simple as that.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

The dog could have just picked up the sent of pot having been smoked in the truck. Do you know this Matt personally?

Yea, for nearly 20years. Funny story; the only time I can remember him ever smoking anything was me, him and a couple girls (I'm a guy BTW) in 11th grade. Turned out it was some fake weed, probably lipton tea and catnip or something LOL just gave all of us a 3hour headache.

originally posted by: lspilot6946
a reply to: 8675309jenny I'm going to stir the pot a little here and throw a conspiracy in the mix. Being a resident of Lakeland, which is about 25 miles east of Tampa, I listen to 102.5 The Bone a lot. During weekday mornings you can tune in to hear a very controversial radio host named Bubba The Love Sponge. If you're a resident of central Florida, then you know who he is. It's no secret that the Mayor of Tampa, Mr. Bob Buckhorn has it out for Bubba. A quick internet search will produce a ton of stuff, including FBI related things about a alleged recent setup regarding a couple attorneys. I also believe Tampa police has it out for him as well. Anyway, Horn Blasters is always being talked about on Bubbas show. I believe Bubba and this Horn Blasters guy are friends. My conspiracy is this. What if the tpd were trying to pressure or scare them? They know who this guy is, they see his truck, they know he's affiliated with Bubba, so they try to harass him and show them "him" who's the boss. I'm telling you, this isn't just random.

Yea, I was thinking this might have to do with the city, or a personal police vendetta. He's pretty well known in the area. Even the note could be their way of plausible deniability. The police could say, 'if no officer card was left then this wasn't us". They don't seem to be denying they searched the truck though.
edit on 7-6-2014 by 8675309jenny because: merged post

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: lspilot6946
Sounds very plausible.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I do not believe an odor gives probable cause. At least, not in your house. And I cannot imagine an unoccupied truck would be any different.

Odors give probable cause when referring to a vehicle. I've been a victim of it, many others have too. The cop just needs to say they smell something suspicious, they don't even have to identify the smell. Then they can search. Being a smell it's not something a recording can verify.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
I love how marijuana is what they're looking for, the most harmless drug there is.

Thats nothing and they can smash your front door in saying that a mobile phone from you locations was used to make a 911 call and a woman was screaming down the phone.

Police need to take risks somethimes but when they come up empty then the departments should be made to pay compensation and then lets see what happens in all these false arrest cases.

When I use the word "Police" please note that i was thinking "Pigs"

<< 1  2  3   >>

join