It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police breaking into cars for *suspicion* of marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

This is getting some pretty big attention here in FL.

www.wfla.com...

The guy this happened to was actually one of my best friends in school. We all knw the police state has gotten out of hand, but with each small step, I'm still blown away they think they can do these things...

edit on 6-6-2014 by 8675309jenny because: images added

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The note read “Sir, your car was checked by TPD K-9. The vehicle was searched for marijuana due to a strong odor coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. Any questions call Cpl Fanning.”

Wow. I'm sure he had plenty of questions.

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I love how marijuana is what they're looking for, the most harmless drug there is.

And now this is coupled with illegal searches that are based on the fact the police thought they smelled MJ.

May the lawsuits be plentiful & fruitful!

Morons.
edit on 6-6-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

One time I pondered an idea of installing a tazer to the underside of a car door handle, that when locked, would give someone trying to break in a helluva jolt. Just my sinister side. I used to think I'm paranoid, but now I know better.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
I love how marijuana is what they're looking for, the most harmless drug there is.

And now this is coupled with illegal searches that are based on the fact the police thought they smelled MJ.

Morons.

A spliffy sniffy coming from your car is grounds for probable cause.

As long as i can remember this has been the case.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

It's awesome because there is no way to prove it. Even going so far as to claim a hit by a dog can be wrong 84% of the time.

Want access to any home or vehicle anywhere anytime? Just say you smelled pot!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Police use the lamest of excuses to exert their power. Hopefully next they'll search houses because they think they smell MJ.

I'll be looking forward to read about their findings.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere
Want access to any home or vehicle anywhere anytime? Just say you smelled pot!

This is what is referred to in law enforcement as a sniff search. When they do a random check on you at your home. You get sniff searched. When they pull you over for a tail light or 1 MPH over the limit you get sniff searched. Based on a sniff search a warrant can and will be issued. I have yet to see a warrant refused based on a sniff search and yes they can simply lie.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well we dont have to worry about such things because theres never any pot in our cars.... right?

He could just be having a stroke and hallucinating the smells, either way, if the cops "smell somthing" they are going to search you and your car. Thats the way it is and has been the exact same way for as long as i remeber.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Those K-9's start pawing any car they are brought to. They are happy just to be out of their cage. I've had drug sniffing dogs called in on me twice after refusing to give permission to search my vehicle. Both times the dog gave the signal that he smelled something. This gave the officer reason to tear apart the inside of my car. Nothing was found either time because there was nothing to find.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Heh, while state after state is relaxing its laws on marijuana, flordia continues to be the state leading the way in dystopian tactics all for a harmless plant.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Well, Hell, the guy was parked there attending a concert!
Isn't "probably cause" enough?
One has to wonder, however, the reason why the K-9 was allowed to be wandering around a parking lot during a nearby concert. Lotta good money for the legal system and stars for the dog and handler when you can drum up business when things get slack.

As an aside in MO, K-9s are a direct route to police brutality stemming directly from Nazi Germany.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Heh, while state after state is relaxing its laws on marijuana, flordia continues to be the state leading the way in dystopian tactics all for a harmless plant.

I've noticed quite a few states are doubling-down on prohibition. No doubt at the behest of police unions the nation over trying to desperately cling to the powers and confiscated property that comes along with it.

There was a piece in the NY Times the other day where the author spins a wonderful story of "Reefer Madness" caliber where eating a chocolate bar apparently made her think she had died.

A lot is at stake for these institutions when prohibition finally dies. They're digging in with all the rampant and violent stupidity they can muster.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Morons.

The vehicle was unoccupied. I've never in my life heard of police breaking into unoccupied vehicles.

The truck is over 3ft off the ground, if the dog did smell something it was likely from the car NEXT to it, not the F650.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

Yea you're right and while the facts are on the legalization side, these goons will make life as miserable for marijuana users as they can. Though time and again, I read about flordia's police doing crap like this. It's not just for drug searches either. They must like police state down there. Maybe all the old people like the extra "security".

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Im not agreeing that its just or fair, im just saying its not new.

If the drug dogs go nuts, the cops investigate. What if they break into a truck the dogs are going crazy over and find a tonne of coke? sorry but id rather have a few inconvenienced innocents than miss a haul like that.

It would be nice to get a 1% off your tax voucher for a search that turned out nothing

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

Morons.

The vehicle was unoccupied. I've never in my life heard of police breaking into unoccupied vehicles.

The truck is over 3ft off the ground, if the dog did smell something it was likely from the car NEXT to it, not the F650.

A K9 could easily smell pot coming from that truck even though it is 3ft off the ground. A dogs sense of smell is better than your eyesight.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Ok, so a K9 unit signaled on his truck. The police searched his truck without permission and didn't find anything correct? So any damage done by that K9 looking for contraband is insured right? Or is the note good enough for the city lawyers? I know if there was any damage at all to my property, especially by the police, there would be complaints and damages filed.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This should help with cases they may bring up the issue of dogs and handlers being wrong about hits for drugs. Might have just been the scent lingering in the air from a passer by.

If they were serious about the war on drugs and crime they would take on gang issues. But we know that isn't going to happen because it would require dealing with real danger.
edit on 6/6/2014 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs
Ya but they just make it up as they go along..searching a car thats parked with no driver?? give me a fawking break..its bovine scatology
And police lay awake at night wondering why they get no respect.

edit on 6-6-2014 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join