It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I open fire on a "open carry" person if they get too close to lining me up?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Say for example, I'm in line at DMV and an "open carry person" shows up with a long gun.

Right away I have to devote all my attention to that person. If the person decides to start shooting I'll have less than a second to react and protect my loved ones. Anyway, I have to abandon whatever I was doing because I can't take my eyes off this potential threat.

While I'm focused and on alert I put my hand on my concealed weapon, which I'm carrying legally as one of the "good guys". The person doesn't look threatening, but why would they have a rifle in DMV? Why is this person smirking? That's odd. I think he's got a spare clip in his front pocket. Or something...

Now I've got tunnel vision. WTF! he's grasping the rifle with his hands. That's not normal. Here comes the barrel swinging around in my direction.

I'm out of time on this one so I do what any good guy must do --empty my 10 rounds into his over sized torso.

Self defense and a tragic loss of life ---not mine though --woo hoo!
Clean up on isle 12 woo hoo!

edit on 6-6-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: added flavor

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Shoot to kill, of course...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Paranoid much? There are many many ways you are more likely to die, does it take you 20 minutes to leave your driveway in the morning cause your afraid of a potential car accident?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: jaws1975

Negative. I have a back-up cam.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I am in Canada so if anyone walks anywhere with a rifle the police get called but I can't help but relate this to the recent shooter in Moncton. What would you have done if a guy was walking across your front lawn with two rifles and a cross bow? I am just curious because here in Canada not a lot of people have guns so no body approached him, which makes me wonder if the loss of the officers lives could have been avoided. Would you have approached him guns drawn?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I so do not care if someone is open carry. I prefer to know someone has a weapon on their person. After noticing I don't give it much thought unless they have it in their hands. That's when I would asses a situation. Why is your entire family in the DMV with you? Also pretty sure you cannot take a gun in there.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

If someone is carrying one rifle, it's a decision.
Two rifles --it's an easy decision.
Walking on my lawn? ---we'll let's just say I'm particular about my lawn so he's going down.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Pimpintology

A rifle in DMV is not normal. You have a point. I should open fire instantly on that.

My family is in DMV because I don't have a license anymore. That's a different rant though.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
Say for example, I'm in line at DMV and an "open carry person" shows up with a long gun.

Right away I have to devote all my attention to that person. If the person decides to start shooting I'll have less than a second to react and protect my loved ones. Anyway, I have to abandon whatever I was doing because I can't take my eyes off this potential threat.

While I'm focused and on alert I put my hand on my concealed weapon, which I'm carrying legally as one of the "good guys". The person doesn't look threatening, but why would they have a rifle in DMV? Why is this person smirking? That's odd. I think he's got a spare clip in his front pocket. Or something...

Now I've got tunnel vision. WTF! he's grasping the rifle with his hands. That's not normal. Here comes the barrel swinging around in my direction.

I'm out of time on this one so I do what any good guy must do --empty my 10 rounds into his over sized torso.

Self defense and a tragic loss of life ---not mine though --woo hoo!
Clean up on isle 12 woo hoo!

Is this post your audition piece to become the next Don Pendleton?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think you are onto something...it's only a matter of time until an open carry is taken down by a concealed carry. Probably in Florida ..all the bizarre stuff happens in FL..

I wonder if they will use self defense or stand your ground as a defense?

It's all madness.

edit on 6/6/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

He wasn't shooting at people. He told them to go, he wasn't interested in them He was targetting only cops. There is a rumor that his friend was killed by police.

And yes someone walking across the lawn like that would have been alarming. But I don't think the story is what is told in his case.

Even a teenager with a pellet gun or beebee gun on someone's property would be alarming.

In Canada, phoning 9/11 would occur if you saw such a thing, maybe on the kids with the pellet gun. I'm not sure if anyone would be so bold as to tackle him but every now and then you hear of such a thing on the news. Thats not the advise anyone is given however.

edit on 6-6-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

I'm not familiar with his work. Is he also one of the good guys?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass
Interesting story Bro.
I would assume you are proficient with your revolver, considering it holds 10 rounds.
The only handgun I am aware of that uses "clips" are the older revolvers with full moon and half moon clips.
If the Open carry guy is indeed "grasping" his weapon, I believe this is brandishing.
This is a crime and should be reported.
Or am I incorrect by assuming since you mentioned the man's "clip" that you believe all magazines are clips?
When going after an opponent, it is important to know them better than your own self.
Nice try antigunner, not everyone buys the lie.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I don't believe in open carry on your person, not sure about in your vehicle if there is no children on board. But open carry would be frightening and intimidating.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: g146541
Interesting story Bro.
I would assume you are proficient with your revolver, considering it holds 10 rounds.
The only handgun I am aware of that uses "clips" are the older revolvers with full moon and half moon clips.
If the Open carry guy is indeed "grasping" his weapon, I believe this is brandishing.
Or am I incorrect by assuming since you mentioned the man's "clip" that you believe all magazines are clips?
When going after an opponent, it is important to know them better than your own self.

It's a hypothetical, not a lie. Hypothetical. BTW, Magazine is 3 syllables and clip is a single syllable. I'm on threat alert and short on time. Silly semantics are fun but in a tactical situation, they are a low priority for me.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
I don't believe in open carry on your person, not sure about in your vehicle if there is no children on board. But open carry would be frightening and intimidating.

Why is it frightening and intimidating? Two major ideas stick out to me. Publicized gun violence (even though in most area's of the states its on decline) and Publicized fear. If we had more men and women walking around with guns and not killing people, like most people don't do; this would be another situation all together.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

originally posted by: g146541
Interesting story Bro.

It's a hypothetical, not a lie. Hypothetical. BTW, Magazine is 3 syllables and clip is a single syllable. I'm on threat alert and short on time. Silly semantics are fun but in a tactical situation, they are a low priority for me.

You got your answer then!
For future reference, if you ever find yourself in a "tactical" situation, details are one thing you should pay attention to, going off willy nilly is what gets bystanders hurt.
You could have simply shut down this argument by saying the guy open carrying was a bodybuilder and lunking around an M1 Garand, they have clips...but hold only 8 rounds.

On another note... @ Moresby, Damn you said Don Pendelton!
The name sounded familiar and I had to look, my dad had all of those paperbacks lying around, executioner, destroyer, mack bolan, Etc. but I just could never get into them. But Dad read the hell out of them!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Has there been an outbreak of open carry guys shooting things up?
Or just guys with mental and depression issues on medication shooting things up?
Maybe it's the depression drugs that need the attention.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Are you frightened and intimidated by Police Officers close to you with their firearms in holsters? If no you should be, their more likely to shoot you than the open carry guy. Just look at the internet and all the police shootings....they out weigh all others by a ton. I open carry allmost everywhere I go. It's my right and until it's not my right anymore, I will continue to Open Carry & support all that do.

a reply to: Unity_99

edit on 6-6-2014 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Almost all mass shooters were for some initial period of time, an "open carry guy".

It's difficult to draw the line. There isn't much time to make the decision to actively defend innocents.

Being a "concealed carry good guy", I would rather be safe than sorry.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join