It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Arrested Over Obese 11-Year-Old Son

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Actually health service which is also provided at schools are the first to see the obvious problems and guide parents to seek help. I doubt parents were seeking guidance on their own... we don`t even know did they really wanted any help. Many parents see the problem when they are provided the facts on the table.. these are how much kid eats and how much kid should eat also scans which shows kids skeleton size with the fat tissue they have.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

So according to dolluka, and grainsofsand and others:

If am caught beating my kid, it is completely appropriate to leave the child in my care but to just arrest and threaten me?

You are all trying to make the point that the parents behavior is cruel and neglectful of the child's needs but, at the end of the day, not one of you can make the leap and understand that even the doctor and investigators DID NOT find that the kid was abused because they left the kid in the home and with the parents!

They merely arrested and threatened the parents????

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Dolluka

Explain why the kid was not hospitlized or removed from the home.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: SprocketUK

And you believe this is the police's decision to make on this? There are things that they could do to support this family, not arrest the parents IMHO of course...

The Police made no decision at all - they simply acted on a request from Social Services and there is a history with this family, not to mention the source is Sky, who in turn got it from the Sun, both media outlets pre-disposed to be thin on facts and high in sensationalism, so it is obvious there is far more to this story than a doctor saying "this Kid is fat, arrest the parents"..

Of course, it being ATS, we believe whatever is put in front of us, don't think critically about anything and jump in the deep end of the shark tank with both feet....

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

No stumason - your understanding of the facts is mistaken. The police acted on the request of the doctor, as they ought to have! However, they did not remove the kid from the home. They didn't just investigate. they arrested and threatened the parents but left the kid in the home. The parents were released on bail

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

No stumason - your understanding of the facts is mistaken. The police acted on the request of the doctor, as they ought to have! However, they did not remove the kid from the home. They didn't just investigate. they arrested and threatened the parents but left the kid in the home. The parents were released on bail

Tired of Control Freaks

No - I am not wrong or mistaken:

The Sun reported the couple's 11-year-old son is 5ft 1in (1.5m) and 15 stone, with a body mass index (BMI) of 41.8.

It alleged concerned teachers and doctors prompted intervention by social services and then police.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Clears as day and exactly how it is supposed to happen.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

ok - I agree that the police were right to investigate as the request of people who are mandated to report child abuse

now show me the part about police being allowed to arrest people but leave the child in the home to be abused further?

Tired of Control

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

You are combining your assumptions as a sentences you believe others wrote. We have no data what lead to this action and no data of help system provided before it. Keep your assumptions as your own and try not to control everything.

Are you saying kid should had been hospitalized first... you have to understand how naive that is, was there immidiate danger to kid? Is his place in hospital... no
Why the kid was not taken from parents.. we don`t know and we don`t know if they had tried that.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

And all I hear now are crickets as people slowly begin to understand what the issue is really all about.

If the child is abused, it is sadly inappropriate to leave that child in the home. As a matter of fact, it would be illegal for that child to be left in the home. But the CPS DID leave the child in the home.

The only logical conclusion here is that the child is NOT abused. The CPS knows the family and agrees that the child is NOT abused, justifying their decision to leave the the kid in the home.

This begs the real question - exactly why were the parents arrested and threatened?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Which bit are you struggling with?
Arrest is usually the first thing to happen if a doctor informs the police that they suspect abuse.
This would be done in the case of physical assault etc as you mentioned earlier.
The child is separated from the parents by their arrest, the police investigate, then either the parents are informally warned, officially cautioned, or charged. Separation through arrest is the time when the police are investigating, it is a way to get both parents interviewed separately to discover differences in their stories.

If I formally claimed that my mate was abusing his kid (in whichever way it appears to cause harm) the police would more than likely arrest him to allow investigation and recorded interviews, then if my claims were spurious he would be released without charge or even a caution.

The arrest is an essential part of any investigation of child abuse reported by doctors or social services. It separates the alleged victim from the alleged abusers until a decision can be made if a crime has been committed or not.
In this case they were released after a few hours as the police deemed no crime had taken place.
Why are you bleating about that?
Parents get arrested for further investigation in physical abuse claims as well, bruises on the child etc, separation of alleged abuser and alleged victim is important for the initial police investigation. If the police see no immediate risk to a child they release parents without charge or caution and they live happilly ever after with their kid.

Do you not want the police to have the power to temporarily separate alleged victims and alleged abusers when investigating such things?

Stop being a drama queen Control Freak, the kid was 5'1 and 15 stone for #s sake, and a doctor was concerned that the parents were complicit in his unhealthy and rather dangerous obesity. The police separated the alleged abusers from the alleged victim for a few hours while they investigated, they were released after investigation and the parents were free to stuff as many calories as they wanted down the neck of their kid again. What are you really whinging about?

edit on 8-6-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

now show me the part about police being allowed to arrest people but leave the child in the home to be abused further?

Show me the part saying he was left at home to be "abused further".

From the OP:

It is understood the arrest was made after doctors at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn raised their concerns with officers after treating the boy, who is already known to social services.

So it would appear that he was under the care of Doctors and/or Social Services.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

No dollukka

I have assumed nothing. I am questioning the facts. the police arrested the parents but did nothing to protect the child. Those are the facts.

YOU assumed that the parents were being cruel, neglectful and abusive without any kind of evidence. Are you now concluding that CPS, the police investigators and the doctors were negligent in their duty to protect the child from this abuse by leaving the child in the home?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

No grainsofsand

Arrest is NOT the first thing that happens in the case of suspect child abuse. If you are the police, the CPS and you suspect child abuse - the FIRST THING you do is protect the child by removing them from the care of the suspected abuser.

THEN there is an investigation. Then you are arrested and charged! (or if the investigation finds no evidence of abuse, the child is returned to your care).

So why were the parents arrested but the child left unprotected in the home?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

And again I agree BUT THE KID WAS LEFT IN THE HOME

Read what the mother says "I am so afraid that they are going to take him"

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Now i throw a ball to you.. show me exactly where i said so.. please quote that !

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

the police arrested the parents but did nothing to protect the child. Those are the facts.

The police arrested the parents to investigate the suspicion of abuse raised by the doctor.
The police protected the child during the investigation by separating his alleged abusers from him.
After investigation the police concluded there was no crime to pursue so released the parents without charge.

How do you struggle with such a simple process, sheesh, again, fat apologist drama queen who seems to be condoning a fat as # 5'1 and 15 stone 11 year old. The parents may well not have committed a crime, but the arrest to investigate the claims is an obvious part of the safeguarding children process.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

This is exactly where you implied that the parents were at fault for the kids weight.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Please quote the exact words in the article that state or imply that the kid was ever removed from the home????

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

Who plays the most important roles in childrens lives? There you find the answers...

Sorry dollukka, I posted my response without quoting you.

This is exactly what you said that implied you thought the parents were at fault.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Really ? LOL
Now tell me what that sentence means to you.. we might have different view on that

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join