It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Arrested Over Obese 11-Year-Old Son

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Explain to me why it is that I can intake less calories than I burn, exercise almost daily and I still struggle to lose or maintain weight?

Why am I making the right choices and still struggle?

Why aren't my personal choices paying off?

Could it be that there is something else at play here that you are not including in your equation?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Explain to me why it is that I can intake less calories than I burn, exercise almost daily and I still struggle to lose or maintain weight?

You consume either the same amount of energy that you use, or more.
You are not a miracle of biology. Different people need more, or less, energy than others.
When you consume more than you need your body will store it. When you consume less than you use your body will draw from those resources. Which bit of that do you agree or disagree with?

*Edit*
Again, I repeat, I consume vast amounts of junk/trans fat/corn syrup/sugar/crap daily, but less joules of energy than I use. It is why I am not fat.
Choices of food types will affect general health of course, but you cannot get fat from consuming less energy than you use.
Unless you are aware of some previously unknown 'free energy' thing in humans?
I'm all ears as it will save me £GBP thousands if I can consume less energy than I use and not lose weight.
edit on 6-6-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

If your muscles grow due the exercise, you can gain some weight before losing it happens.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I don't disagree with that, but I think it's too overly-simplistic. There are many other factors to include in weight loss/gain and I don't think anyone is really discussing it in this thread.

But I will just leave it at that. Nothing good will come out of this conversation and perhaps today was not my day to log on to ATS.

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Please read the article I posted.

Besides - we are talking about an 11 year old kid. Not an adult. The kid has nutrition requirements over an above calorie restrictions for a developing brain and body.

And remember - in the 50s and 60s, we were told to restrict carbs (yes there were lots of fat people back then) - then for the next 40 years, the instruction was to restrict fats.

Now they have gone back to carbs.

Do these people even know what they are talking about?

In this case, they and people, refers to public health and the medical community.

This is not a simple case of firing a warning shot across the parents bow - this is establishing a precedent

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It is probably true that genetics and obesity are linked but a series of posts on Reddit today about this specific case suggest the weight of the boy is merely one minor factor in a much larger case.

I've just had a look back to link but it's all deleted now unfortunately. No way of verifying the comments, so I won't paraphrase - but it's certainly true to say that simply having a 'fat kid' isn't generally enough to have you arrested in the UK.

Sounds like it might be a sad and all too common story though.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaksThis is not a simple case of firing a warning shot across the parents bow - this is establishing a precedent

Nope, a legal precedent in the UK is established through judge led decisions in Crown Court. Try again, the parents were released without even a formal caution. A 'no further action' wake up call.

The rest of your post I shall dismiss due to the obvious and simple 'less energy consumed than used causes weight loss' argument I have maintained throughout this thread. The parents provided excess energy to the child as they watched him become fat. Do you honestly not find them responsible? Really?
edit on 6-6-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Nothing good will come out of this conversation

Aw, that seems defeatist. I prefer to think of it as an opportunity for us to remember that negative energy intake ALWAYS results in weight loss, regardless of trans fats/corn syrup/sugar/fast food crap/whatever, it's down to consumption and use of energy. That is a positive message for those who may not know this is the case.
The miracle 'free energy' human body [Edit*] d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶e̶x̶i̶s̶t̶ has no evidence to support any such claims [/edit], so this discussion can only be good for anyone who may not know that.
edit on 6-6-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

I would recommend you review your carb intake. If you taking in over 70g/day it may be too high. I would get more calories from fat than carbs. And I would get more bulk from proteins and greens than fats and carbs. But that is just my body type.

Have you tried any probiotics? Do you have your appendix?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

And is it now "normal" to discipline adults with false arrests???

Are you really so ready to give up control of your life to your government that you think its "reasonable" to falsely arrest adults for "bad behavior"

Shall we bring back the naughty chair as well? Maybe in the town square?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

And is it now "normal" to discipline adults with false arrests???

Are you really so ready to give up control of your life to your government that you think its "reasonable" to falsely arrest adults for "bad behavior"

Shall we bring back the naughty chair as well? Maybe in the town square?

Yawn, your unsubstantiated assertions again, the arrest could well have had reasonable grounds because a medical doctor made the referral, do you not think there could possibly be a size of 11 year olds that the state deems dangerous and neglectful enough to intervene. Not even an official recorded caution and released with no further action but you're still bleating?
If you are able to reign in your emotions a little we might be able to have a reasoned discussion.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

"intervention" and "arrest" are two different terms with two different connotations.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

Man, I feel really bad for that child, and not just because of his weight. He's going to have a lot of emotional baggage to overcome in his life, because right now, no matter how anyone words it to him, he knows he's been taken away from his family all because he's fat. Being his size he's already going to be self conscious regarding his weight, I'm pretty certain he'll be teased a lot, too. But now he's been taken away from his family, all because he's fat.

I get what people are saying, he's unhealthy, so yes, it's "child abuse". Makes me really glad that I grew up before people started acting like this, especially if people are going to claim extremely skinny children is child abuse. I'm 6'1, and during HS, I was only 124lbs on average. That's very skinny for that height, and many people thought I didn't eat. That's not the case at all, I ate a ton, would go up for 4th's / 5th's at all you can eat buffet's, and at times even hit the gym. I just could not gain weight for the life of me, because I had a very active metabolism.

Every person posting on this thread is a nazi, narrow minded, judgmental and have no rights in another person's life or family OR WEIGHT ISSUES

THIS IS A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY

PEOPLE WHO COMMENT ON OTHER PEOPLE'S WEIGHT NEED TO GO THE MIRROR AND LIST THEIR OWN EVIL SINS, ESPECIALLY THEIR IGNORANT WEAPONIZED OPINIONS AGAINST OTHERS.

I am a mother of 5 children.

My second oldest weight 126 pounds, and is 6 2". Yes he is very very thin. He has had tests in the past, his thyroid is normal.

He is lactose intolerant however, and we don't know if its complicated health issues that are test that go beyond what medicare pays for, but we have him on the regular food, and a high calorie muscle protein drink.

He doesnt always remember to drink 2 of them and get the whole 2000 extra calories.

His average calories however would be 3000, since he forgets to eat at times and I have no thyroid, zero produced, chronic fatigue and arthritis, and can't wait on all the kids and constantly have to remind my 23 year old to EAT.

He has suffered from depression and in the fall, after the summer and light and powder, as a last resort we'll have him tested and possibly try medications, which I don't support or believe in.

All the others are perfect, slender strong to slightly underweight, but all are healthy physically.

Except for the second youngest who is very much overweight. And aside from his love of junk food and pizza's and getting spoiled by his father when he visits, or his "uncle" and movie night, we don't buy him junk food often, his soda preference is britz ice tea. He does eat more food than us, he eats about the same amount as the really thin one, minus the shakes.

AND WE LOVE HIM JUST THE WAY HE IS. HE IS AN ANGEL, A GIVER, A WONDERFUL CHILD, A TERRIFIC YOUNG MAN, SWEET, FAMILY ORIENTED, GOOD ETHICS, HOT TEMPERED.

You guys can all take a hike.

If the nazi's ever try to harm my children, they are instructed to RUN HOME, PERIOD.

Aside from the food, the overweight one, who sounds close this child, over 220 pounds, and nearly 15. He is encouraged to excercise, modified, as when he overdoes it he pulls muscles.

But he also has always had weak muscles in his torso even when when he was thin.

He would get stuck and have to get pulled up, stuck between couches or beds, in weird positions when goofing around.

Because he, and his 2 other brothers had learning disabilities and speech therapy, APRAXIA, which is a signal that doesnt get through to the muscle.

People who are overweight are not the same as everyone else.

We're all different AND GOD MADE US DIFFEERENT SO YOU GUYS CAN STOP JUDGING FOR ITS ALL A TEST.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Unbelievable responses! Do not judge others, JUST LOVE THEM! ENJOY THEM! AND STOP TRAUMATIZING FAMILIES AND CHILDREN. THIS IS MASSIVE ABUSE OF THIS CHILD AND HIS PARENTS.

Also YOU DON'T FORCE KIDS. You offer them choices, and explain things, but you don't act like a top dominator with anyone. THAT IS ABUSIVE AS WELL.

Its also abusive to pound round pegs into square wholes, honor and respect your child as he/she is and delight in the honor of their presence, guide but do not dominate.
edit on 6-6-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

You are shouting.. not very lovingly.
Kids obesity as this case in question, they tried to help the family before taking actions.
If the kid dies due heart failure ( hope not ) where the pointing fingers point at then? Who will feel guilty ? Could anybody do anything before its too late ?

Don´t judge.. sometimes its good to look at issues outside the box.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
How dare they abuse this child and family. Overweight people are really discriminated against and its pathetic. No one who does this to anyone else is off the hook. Ground Hog Day the movie comes to mind, you have to be a decent good caring giving loving non judgemental person to get off this hellish planet.

And the hell all around us starts with the attitudes and beliefs everyone has.

I hope that family is smart enough to take them all to court, police, ministry and government. Shake that tree until all the gremlins fall out and scatter and serve and protect every other child in this world who is also undergoing discrimination.

Don't drop the ball, because people need to stand up and not take this crap anymore.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

If a child is malnourished then of course the child will be taken away from them, they are not providing the needs of the child nutritionally. I'm going to assume you are not from the UK but our poor are not on the same level as in the likes of the U.S, so being poor means you get your rent paid for and you get your social security benefits which amount to roughly £85 a week.

Regarding this case though there is obviously more to it than just that he is obese, if the CPS have been called previously they have obviously being trying to help them but if a doctor concludes that it's more than just genetics and the parents are responsible then they should be charged with willful neglect. If the parents have genuinely been trying to get him to lose weight but the son keeps eating without their knowledge then charging the parents will hopefully drum into the child that he needs to lose weight or he will be removed from his parents whether by CPS or by jailing them. It seems harsh but they say they have tried all avenues and this is the only option they had left. At the end of the day the health and well being of the child should be paramount.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

You're right, this is a crime against humanity and supported by those who obviously will be coming back with many health issues and weight issues themselves one day, since they don't understand that they are never to judge, only love other people, and not support abusive criminal legislation.

I think this one is a bullhorn issue.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
How much in Lbs is 15 stone?How tall is the 11 year old?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

He is 11 years old and just over 200 lbs. I can picture his weight easily. He's a bit more weight than my son was at that age, when he was 11 I think he was somewhere between 150-180 then, can't remember. But I can picture his weight.
It doesnt matter what weight he is, if he is being offered choices and is loved and feels understood. This is beyond belief abuse of humanity. We'll never be beehive or some kind of comsmetic backdrop to the overlords. We'll always be, short, tall, thin, fat, brown, purple, green, and all the variations that challenge a person's love. You said you were Love, prove it. Thats what the tests are.

Groundhog Day Trailer

Life isn't really about others in the way people think. Its about you, and how you treat others.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join