It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Arrested Over Obese 11-Year-Old Son

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Weight and metabolic health are “imperfectly correlated.” Though a quarter of obese people are metabolically unhealthy, nearly the same percentage of normal people are also similarly unhealthy.

nypost.com...

“The Obesity Paradox” presents compelling evidence that those with excess baggage might be healthier and better able to fight off diseases than normal-weight counterparts. Conversely, the “thin and unfit” waifs have the worst body types for long-term health.

greatist.com...

“ The biggest issue facing overweight people is not their weight, but social stigma. ”

and I am 100% certain life comes with a death sentence.

None of my parents, grandparents, aunts or uncles ever dieted or exercised, I have an aunt that is 101, and her brother and sister are in their nineties, my father and grandfather lived into their eighties, both smoked till the day they died.

while talking with an old school friend from the class of 67. I hear this age group is dropping like flies, I believe there are numerous reasons for this.
What if baby boomers don't live forever?
www.reuters.com...

Whoopee, We're all gonna die!
edit on 023030p://bSunday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Oh Boy.. did i ever said that.
All i said its sad situation ..

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Im sure you know some people eat before they go out right?

Signs and symptoms of compulsive overeating include:
binge eating, or eating uncontrollably even when not physically hungry
eating much more rapidly than normal
eating alone due to shame and embarrassment
feelings of guilt due to overeating
preoccupation with body weight
depression or mood swings
awareness that eating patterns are abnormal
history of weight fluctuations
withdrawal from activities because of embarrassment about weight
history of many different unsuccessful diets
eating little in public, but maintaining a high body weight
holding the belief that life will be better if they can lose weight
hiding food in strange places (closets, cabinets, suitcases, under the bed)
vague or secretive eating patterns
self-defeating statements after food consumption
holding the belief that food is their only friend
weight gain
loss of sexual desire or promiscuous relations
fatigue

link

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yep, I'm personally repulsed by fat adults.
I would only share an intimate moment with a fat woman if she was the last option - desert island shipwreck situation etc.

Anything wrong with that? Thought police now is it?
Must I be attracted to bodies with a high fat percentage because 'they're all beautiful inside' ???
Who is the 'Hitler' now as you mentioned earlier?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I have no idea why on earth anyone would do that... you want to be hungry when you go somewhere to eat because you are there to experience the new type of food or the good food... your paying money for it after all!

I think stating that not eating very much in public is a sign of overeating seems like a stretch - more to make people seem wrong when they quite possibly are not.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Will you still love me when I'm sixty four?

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Yep, I'm personally repulsed by fat adults.
I would only share an intimate moment with a fat woman if she was the last option - desert island shipwreck situation etc.

Anything wrong with that? Thought police now is it?
Must I be attracted to bodies with a high fat percentage because 'they're all beautiful inside' ???
Who is the 'Hitler' now as you mentioned earlier?

I don't care who you would not be intimate with...no one would do any choosing for you right...but at least we know this is not about health. You can't love anyone whom you deem ugly and probably would like the old selective human breeding programs.
I choose not to judge anyone by their outsides, you have the same privilege.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Or being out with friends etc. when its more about social interaction than food itself.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

you are just a typical fat apologist

One of the new polly parrot lines so common today, does anyone think for themselves anymore or be INDIVIDUALS?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Well I have never heard of such a thing, nor can I even imagine it. If I'm going to pay for food by God I'm eating it and I don't care what anyone thinks!

Why would anyone do/think/feel any different? I think this is just what someone dreamed up...
edit on 8-6-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

people who are superficial will divorce you in a heartbeat. They wont love you if you have cancer, or if you get wrinkles, or if you begin to sag...

Superficial is just that. And usually they are the last people who should be talking about others!

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I did mention my son eats more than my daughter, this is done deliberately as his energy requirements are higher owing to him being skin and bone, my duahgter easts a normal amount.

E.g For breakfast she had an egg in a toasted muffin (no butter at her request)

For lunch she had pesto pasta (which she didn't finish) and a snack pack of ice gems (little biscuits)

For dinner she had a jacket potato with tuna, cucumber and a couple of baby corns (really baby ones, the ones you can eat the whole thing) for pudding she had an ice pole as it is so hot and they are only 31 Kcal.

Oh and she had a carton of Mango juice when we came off the beach.

My son went out today with his friends in town on his own and ate...a Mcdonalds! (naughty boy) a fizzy drink from Subway (I'm not happy with him) and had dinner at his friends where he ate ham and chorizo sausage with pesto pasta and for pudding ate a snack pack of Oreo's.

Both my kids play in the park after school, my daughter scooters to school every day for half an hour, my son walks, most days we all walk/scooter home from school.

Recently my daughter has started Judo, I shouldn't think this is going to make much of a difference but we shall see.

I have seen first hand what happens when a child is endlessly fed sweets and other rubbish, two children who began normal size who went on to become much larger and disproportionate, so to an extent input-output is the case, it certainly is for me (didn't use to, I struggled to get pregnant and couldn't give blood because I weighed 7 stone for many years and couldn't put on weight no matter what I tried, I am now a healthy weight for my height).

Yet there are medical conditions too such as thyroid, two weeks after I had my daughter I could fit back into my size 10 skirt, I lost weight rapidly, then at some point my thyroid went the opposite way and by christmas that year I was a size 16 weighing 11 and a half stone, which was my pregnant weight full term!

Crazy thing is I never saw it creeping on, I would try on size ten tops, thinking the shop had shrunk the sizes when they didn't fit, never in a million years did I think it was actually me getting bigger, I know it's hard beleive but it's true.

I had one month for my thyroid to return to normal or I was to be put on thyroxine for the rest of my life, incredibly a month later it went back to normal and took about 4 months to loose the extra weight.

So you see it isn't all about input-output, sometimes the body screws things up for you.

Oh and the low income thing whatever mate, I'm fairly certain you would see a correllation between income and childhood obesity statistics, even it is all down to the lack of common sense in the parents I believe it's there.

Oh hang on....Child Obesity and Socioeconomic Status

Here's a snapshot, it's quite an interesting read

www.noo.org.uk September 2012 NOO data factsheet Child Obesity and Socioeconomic Status Key points  There are significant inequalities in obesity prevalence for children, both girls and boys, and across different age groups.  The pattern of socioeconomic inequalities is consistent across a variety of different measures of deprivation using two different data sources: the National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP) and the Health Survey for England (HSE).  There is an almost linear relationship between obesity prevalence i n children and the Index of Multiple Deprivation 20 10 (IMD) score for the area they live in. Child obesity prevalence in the most deprived tenth of local areas is almost double that in the least deprived tenth (Figure 1) .

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Thank you for your bastion of sense on the first page. As I started reading I literally couldn't believe my eyes - it seemed that people were all too willing to hand their rights over as parents. Or perhaps the idea is only "acceptable" as a consideration because it's someone else's children...

There are so many potentially causative issues involved with and surrounding obesity - poverty, medications, food additives, genetics, depression, metabolism et al. A person may fit into one of those boxes, several or none. Some may already BE working on their weight and have lost half of it. You cannot know why any person is overweight simply by looking at them. To assess the blame solely on the parents is far too simplistic...it certainly is effective at eroding parental rights though, under the guise of "fighting obesity".

Looking at the big picture, nothing we "fight" ever goes away, in fact it often exacerbates the problem.

War on Drugs 
War on Poverty
War on Terror
War on Obesity
War On Hunger

We've all heard these terms. Has the "War" on these things made them disappear? No? When we are actively fighting something we create more of it (thoughts create reality), and there is definitely more of all of these things in society. If we just allowed people to be as they are - to journey through life learning the lessons they came here to learn for themselves, in whatever body that may be, the world would be a better place. All that these "War On' buzz-terms do is serve to divide people and take away their rights, one by one. As long as everyone is in-fighting, effective thinking and solutions are delayed.

Regardless of weight, that child is going to be in a better place to deal with it, when surrounded by a family that loves him. When you allow an outside entity to decide on behalf of weight (assuming that is the only reason) to remove a child from the home, you are opening up a Pandora's Box - and who's to say that your family will not be next, for another equally ridiculous reason.

Imagine if your biggest struggle in life was shown to everyone on a placard you wore at all times around your neck. Obesity can be readily seen, whereas other issues can be hidden...this is the main reason why obesity is singled out - it can be seen and is often immediately judged. Acceptance that people do (and have always) come in all sizes is key.

As for this boy, he may or may not be able to lose weight. But a supportive stance rather than a punitive one could be the very factor that makes the difference.

----------

7 Stupid Things We Say To Overweight People

edit on 8-6-2014 by MoonBlossom because: Added Link

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nope, try again, I love plenty of fat people, just don't really like looking at their bodies.
Stop trying to twist things, you're as bad as control freak with expecting me to conform with whatever visually attracts you. lol

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon

This is why:

One mango costs 1.99 - or a pound of organic red grapes costs 2.99. For 6 ounces of raspberries is 2.99. This is in season and the cheapest fresh fruits will be all year.

However, if you want a large package of Oreo cookies the cost is only 2.00. You can snack many times (about 5 or 6 I would imagine) on the oreo's for the same price as one sitting with a mango.

Salad mix costs anywhere from 2.50 to 4.99, 4.99 being the best and healthiest salad mix and 2.50 being the least healthy salad mix.

Don't get me started on the cost of meats! you can feed three people on the package of hot dogs for what you would pay for feeding one person the chicken!

www.pricechopper.com...

This is why poor people get fatter than wealthier people sometimes. I am positive it is a contributing factor toward poverty leading to obesity in the west.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Yes yes Mr. Perfect - we all understand that you are wonderful

But how exactly might THIS kid feel

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The term "fat apologist" is the most ludicrous term I have heard in my life. Seriously.

And once again...genetics has nothing to do with weight, excepting impacting what your body processes more easily. It is culture, and our culture is a grain driven culture. Which is what makes us fat.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

Oh how I wish I could give you multiple stars and minus/remove stars from other posters. I totally agree with you.

I would like to borrow your phrase, and direct it right back to yourself for such a fabulous and rational post.

The lack of tolerance and shallowness in our society and in this forum are astounding and shameful.

I concur completely and myself was astounded at the amount of people thinking this situation was simply "par for the course". I guess on ATS of all places, I expected that when people complain about their rights being eroded, that would extend to parenthood and health issues as well. Though these opinions also illustrate your point beautifully that it's apparently (and sadly) still "acceptable" in this day and age to pick on fat people. Not to mention police others' health affairs.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The parents chose to provide more energy to the child than he needed

You keep reiterating this phrase, but that doesn't make it true.

You cannot tell why someone is fat just by looking at them, and it is rather arrogant to assume such. The child is plenty old enough to acquire foods that are not ideal, beyond what his parents supply him. He may be bullied at school, and sneak foods for comfort reasons. He may also just happen to naturally be, at a weight that doesn't jive with the mindset of today's society.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: stumason

so you are right - they weren't charged. They were interviewed under caution and released. The police found no evidence of child abuse or they would have been charged.

After all, the police had been contacted by doctors and social workers and now had the evidence provided by the parents under caution.

So where is the evidence of abuse?

Tired of Control Freaks

Er, no. They were bailed - pending further enquiries (as stated in the media) and to appear back at the Police station again, usually within 30 days on a date set by the Custody Sgt. The investigation is (or was, as it was actually back in March this happened) still under way. You can guarantee Social Services are now heavily involved in their life, more so than they were before.

Once again, showing you haven't the faintest clue what you're talking about.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join