It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Arrested Over Obese 11-Year-Old Son

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander
It's really far more complicated than that

No it's not.
Provide a child with more energy than they use and the excess will be stored by the childs body.
Provide a child with less energy than they use and the body will draw from the stored resources.
Some children need more energy than others, some less.
An eleven year old at 5'1" tall and 15 stone is dangerously obese.
This obesity is as a result of the childs body storing excess energy as a result of a calorie intake greater than he needs.

Which bit of that do you disagree with?

Genes, Pfft!
Don't see these miracles of biology in sustained famine conditions.
Consume more energy than is used and a child will become fat. Consume too little and EVERY child will lose weight.
Parents regulate the energy supplies for their child.

I am jealous of these miracle people who claim to get fat consuming less or equal amounts of energy than they use.
I'd save thousands each year eating less food - but then we all know that it's a fat apologists lie. There is no magical genetic 'free energy' thing going on with fat people, the overwhelming majority just consume more calories than they use.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Why is everyone walking? Why don´t they run ?
If you think your kid do not get enough exercise on their own you need to put yourself in a game and go out with them.. play soccer ( ball doesn´t cost much ) with them or something.
School distance as a exercise is not enough..

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Its so easy to blaime genes, the genes didn´t make people fat in 40´s and 50´s or before that

Where are you from? Watch some movies from the 40'-50's there were more larger people than now it simply was not looked at as it is now. Everyone thought kids should be fat back in the 50's.
People are sick now all worried about everyone elses size all the time. Now we need to all be alike, CONFORM or you are unacceptable!

Some of the nicest people i ever knew were fat, I don't care about their size just that they were loving people.

Take a look at bathing suits from the 40's.
I guess they would have taken the little butterball Shirley Temple away from her parents. There were all kinds of fat child stars we loved not hated on! people don't say Honey Boo boo or whatever it is called should have been taken away.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: solargeddon
Sorry for ranting, but it makes my blood boil, especailly when the BMI perfect brigade start preaching that it is all as simple as input- output, because if that were the case my daughter should weigh much less than her brother and she doesn't.

It is all about input/output.
Your daughter and son are two genetically unique individuals and clearly have different energy requirements, their diet would hopefully reflect this. Each individual body requires a unique amount of energy for their body to run. Give it too much and the body will store the excess, give it to little and it will draw on the stored resources. Do you disagree with that?

there is another factor in all of this, there is a good chance the family are low income and probably don't have the cash to put the lad into after school clubs (they are pricey) sure there are many activities that are free such as walking, but if the kid is anything like my 11 year old you start to get very ansty about walking anywhere with your parents.

Lame blaming poverty, I bought a 99 pence football when my son was little and I was skint, we played nearly every day after work and school. I guarantee there are local parks, subsidised sporting clubs etc near the boy in this case.
Regardless, if someone has a 5'1" eleven year old weighing 15 stone they could easily dip into that massive food budget and choose to spend it more wisely on some activity or other.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

This is about parenting true.. some parents just don´t see or are too weak to give rules.

Fine let us have only Hitler types as parents guess we will all be perfect.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It is all about input/output.

True some people have way too much "imput" on other people's rights to be what they want to be. Judging others from their size and shape even judging health by "looking" at someone.

edit on 8-6-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

So you picked up few pics to proove it was common to be overweighted those decades?

School pictures 1960
pics[/u rl]

School pictures 1950
[url=https://www.google.fi/search?q=koulukuva+1960&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gLGUU63jH8n-ygPfkoBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=901#q=koulukuva+1950 &tbm=isch&imgdii=_]pics

School pictures 1940
pics

Im still saying genes are not the cause.. nothing proves that

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
Fine let us have only Hitler types as parents guess we will all be perfect.

Would a parent be classed as a Hitler type if they stopped their child from smoking?

A parents job (certainly for an 11 year old) is to take responsibility for the health of their child and enforce lifestyle choices and a course of action which is in their best interests. Saying 'no' is often part of the job, an inability to do so indicates that the parents are weak and ineffective...or just don't care.
edit on 8-6-2014 by grainofsand because: Quotes

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Are you saying that an eleven year old at 5'1" weighing 15 stone is not an obvious and worrying condition which is cause for concern?
And it is all down to input/output, which bit of that do you disagree with before you get all emotional and sidetracking about judging people/everyone is beautiful/blah?

I'm talking about health risks for the child, as was the doctor, do you think a 5'1" eleven year old at 15 stone is healthy? Really?

*Edit*
I'm a foot taller and 2 stone lighter than the boy in this case. Poor lad must have a massive body fat percentage, and all because of the choices made by the parents. I think it is shameful that so many of you support this as OK, bet he struggles even walking up stairs, I feel sorry for him, yet you appear to be happy for parents to ignore obvious health risks.

edit on 8-6-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Back on focusing on the child's weight and refusing to examine the actions of public heath and the police are we??

I just wonder a couple of things:

Let us say that you have a child who is over wieght and you decide that it is your duty as a parent to restrict his calorie intake.

How does the child re-act? Imagine the hunger pangs and the anxiety that this would produce. Imagine how mistrustful the child would get of his care-givers.

Now imagine how the child would feel knowing his parents have been arrested and charged because of the wieght problem.

I am not sure about anyone else but....I think that child just might become suicidal

What does anyone else think?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

S

o you picked up few pics to proove it was common to be overweighted those decades?

Genes affect some but mostly this is all about style, and what we are TOLD is right at the time.

My pictures make a point, that we can have all sizes of people and we can love all sizes of people and that simply because child is a certain size means nothing! You need to know a lot before you can judge bad health, bad parenting or anything else about peoples lives!

When I was a child people LOVED chubby kids and even fat kids, they made sweet comments not ...ohhh bad parents.
edit on 8-6-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I'm talking about health risks for the child

Yeah you are all care...

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks
I already explained my intervention in my own sons diet and activity when he was aged 10/11.
I even described a conversation we had a couple of weeks ago when he thanked me for the intervention now he is a healthy late teen rugby playing lad.

You ignored the details of my relevant story, and instead cried SUPERIOR, SHOWCASE, PERFECT PARENT, BLAH, as is your childish debating style. I used my own parenting example to show that when a parent guides and supports a child they can lose weight, but you got all emotional and claimed I was bragging...pathetic.

...and suicidal because a parent says no about eating too much food??? Give me a break, you're such a drama queen.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Obesity is dangerous not only to one who has it but also could be a threat to others.

This is true story... told me by the Lady in question
Lady i know is obese .. i mean over 400 stones. She has two kids one is 8 years old boy and daughter who is 18 months old. She and kids go to beach, boy swims, 18 months old plays in the shoreline and she sits down and watch. She sees her baby in too deep water and drowning. She were struggling up but fortunately a man nearby sees the situation and runs to help. Baby was taken to hospital.. minor brain damage.
Now she uses antidepressants and is even more heavier. She is feeling so guilty about it and propably will always.

I feel sad for her and the baby.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
You are just a typical fat apologist who appears to see no health risks with an eleven year old weighing 15 stone at 5'1"
Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I'm a foot taller and 2 stone lighter than the boy in this case. Poor lad must have a massive body fat percentage, and all because of the choices made by the parents. I think it is shameful that so many of you support this as OK, bet he struggles even walking up stairs, I feel sorry for him, yet you appear to be happy for parents to ignore obvious health risks.

Yes I believe we received your stats already.

It is a shame you are so eager to judge people you don't know. I had a friend with two boys, one would never eat and the other never stopped, two years apart, the large boy was about the size of the kid in the story at his age. The other boy was skinny always and still is.

The fat boy went to friends houses and ate, his Mother did everything she could, he was a gorgeous guy and married a really slim pretty woman recently who loves him fat and all. He was missing it seems what causes people to know they are full when they eat, and he is losing weight now that they found a cause, but his Mother took him to Drs his whole childhood, he was even put in a hospital on liquid once, it didn't change a thing all those years...was she a bad Mom...NO she was a great Mom and you know what he is a wonderful man and was a way nicer Guy than his thin brother, far more caring and compassionate.

If he never loses a pound and even if he dies early he is a wonderful person and that is what matters.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Obesity is dangerous not only to one who has it but also could be a threat to others.

Having a bum leg or back would create the same conditions, so what shoot them all? Take the kids?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
You are just a typical fat apologist who appears to see no health risks with an eleven year old weighing 15 stone at 5'1"
Pathetic.

And you are a typical person of this day that cares only for the body and could care less about the inside of a person. I bet you can't bare to look at any people you consider ugly, the new shallow but common way of looking at everything...conform or we hate you.

I don't for a minute think people are worried over health, this is about looks nearly always.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LarryLove

I have gone out to eat with people who were overweight and usually they eat much much less than me. I have never in my life seen an overweight person eat and entire chicken or a kilo of grated cheese for lunch.

I, on the other hand, have sat down to an entire cheesecake with a fork, no need for a plate, and didn't gain a pound.

Yet, tell a person who is either of normal metabolism or low metabolism this and they will freak out... they would never dream of being able to do that. Most people can only have one slice or a sweet once a week...

I think it's a lie that fat people eat more than thin people do. I have yet to EVER see that.

I still think genetics plays a huge role.
edit on 8-6-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
How nice the guy was is not really relevant to this discussion.
The fact is he was fat because he took more energy into his body than he used, regardless of the reasons why, he wasn't magically fat.

You still haven't said if you think an eleven year old at 5'11" weighing 15 stone is deemed a safe condition in your flowery world of marshmallows and rainbows?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join