It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Arrested Over Obese 11-Year-Old Son

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Salander

Wow - thanks for seeing the point. I was beginning to feel like I was banging my head against the wall here.

Tired of Control Freakjs

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Pretty much what I was going to say, but my browser mucked up.

Often, investigations are begun with an arrest. Clearly, this chap/chappette hasn't the foggiest what he/she is on about.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Where does it say they were charged?

Making stuff up now.....

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason
Ah, I misread it, I guess those parents are well involved in the safeguarding children process now.
I can see why the child would be back in the care of the parents though, it's not like he's gonna die tomorrow from excess food intake. I would imagine there will be loads of intervention going on, case workers, family support workers, blah.

Rightly so in my opinion. Hopefully the 'waiting time' on bail will be a wake up call for these weak parents who are failing to regulate the energy supplies to the poor kid.

link   
a reply to: Salander

Hardly, it's a sign of a caring society that won't allow kids to be abused, neglected or otherwise harmed by idiot parenting.

Put it this way, if you starved the kid, that is abuse - ergo over-feeding is, by extension, also abuse.

link   

I just cannot figure out exactly what type of scenario would having an overweight child be the fault of the parent.

Were they feeding him only double cheeseburgers 10 times a day and forcing milkshakes down his throat and soda? Were they beating him if he didn't eat too much? Were they refusing to let him take walks or go outside to play? Was he locked in a basement and told he couldn't exercise?

I mean seriously... what constitutes abuse here? Bad genetics and/or not knowing much about nutrition? This is ridiculous!

A society should be trying to help and not trying to harm... arresting parents is not a help to anyone.
edit on 8-6-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Bad genetics? Cop out... I can guarantee, with 100% certainty, if you go back to this kids great grandparents, they won't be fat.

It's a simple case of calories in/calories out.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

my son ate anywhere from 5 - 7 THOUSAND calories a day and was not even a little overweight. He was a healthy muscular young man.

My husband eats around 4-5 THOUSAND calories a day just to maintain thin as a rail.

I am not active because of my back and legs and still eat between 2-3 thousand calories a day and am considered only mildly overweight. When I was active and young and healthy I ate between 4-5 thousand calories a day and was still slightly underweight my entire life.

Yeah... I'm going with genetics here... not everyone is the same.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

so you are right - they weren't charged. They were interviewed under caution and released. The police found no evidence of child abuse or they would have been charged.

After all, the police had been contacted by doctors and social workers and now had the evidence provided by the parents under caution.

So where is the evidence of abuse?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
I just cannot figure out exactly what type of scenario would having an overweight child be the fault of the parent.

I can.
Choosing to provide excess food to a child who is clearly overweight.
Unless of course if the child controls the household budget and spending choices, but most 11 year olds do not.
How can you not blame the parents? They buy the food, they give the pocket money for the child to buy crap, they control the childs activities.
5'1 and 15 stone, come on, are both parents blind to the fact their child is dangerously fat, or just don't care enough to help their child eat and live in a more healthy way? That is a parents role.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Ah - stumason. The first sentence of the article says

"The parents of an 11-year-old boy who weighs 15 stone have been arrested on suspicion of neglect for allowing their son to become obese."

The parents were released on bail and the child is still in their care.

Tired of control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

my son ate anywhere from 5 - 7 THOUSAND calories a day and was not even a little overweight. He was a healthy muscular young man.

My husband eats around 4-5 THOUSAND calories a day just to maintain thin as a rail.

I am not active because of my back and legs and still eat between 2-3 thousand calories a day and am considered only mildly overweight. When I was active and young and healthy I ate between 4-5 thousand calories a day and was still slightly underweight my entire life.

Yeah... I'm going with genetics here... not everyone is the same.

But genetics or glands is the first thing you hear when a person attempts a defence of their obesity.

Edit: the majority of fat people can only blame themselves. I have seen it all and when you suggest that eating a whole chicken or kilo of grated cheese for lunch might not be such a good idea, then let them play on. Learn to cook and cook properly.
edit on 8-6-2014 by LarryLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

So just to re-cap the discussion with facts:

1. A kid is 11 years old and weighs 210 lbs
2. The kid and his parents are known to social services and the medical community.
3. The parents have been working with doctors to help the kid
4. Following some time period of several months, the doctors decide the parents aren't doing enough to help the kid (or not cooperating sufficiently with doctor's advice) and the police are alerted.
5. The police question the parents under caution
6. The police arrest and charge the parents with child neglect and then release the parents on bail
7. The child is left in the care of the supposedly abusive parents.

Does something smell fishy in Denmark to anyone?

Were the parents actually abusive or were the parents simply not sufficently obedient to the doctors.

If the parents are abusive, its against the law to leave the kid with the parents. If the parents are not abusive, why were they arrested and charged?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

So just to re-cap the discussion with facts:

1. A kid is 11 years old and weighs 210 lbs
2. The kid and his parents are known to social services and the medical community.
3. The parents have been working with doctors to help the kid
4. Following some time period of several months, the doctors decide the parents aren't doing enough to help the kid (or not cooperating sufficiently with doctor's advice) and the police are alerted.
5. The police question the parents under caution
6. The police arrest and charge the parents with child neglect and then release the parents on bail
7. The child is left in the care of the supposedly abusive parents.

Does something smell fishy in Denmark to anyone?

Were the parents actually abusive or were the parents simply not sufficently obedient to the doctors.

If the parents are abusive, its against the law to leave the kid with the parents. If the parents are not abusive, why were they arrested and charged?

Tired of Control Freaks

Not control so much as necessary intervention. You would advocate the same to an alcohol or drug addict.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: grainofsand

Yeah - well my dog's uncle's best friend told me if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle!!!!

Tired of Control Freakjs

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

I get what people are saying, he's unhealthy, so yes, it's "child abuse". -

This gets really scary, people advocating arrest and taking away a child because of weight. WHO is going to be the one deciding in the future, what size our kids HAVE to be or they take them. What else will the policing of our families lead to?

My sister had three girls with no problems, but she remarried a man whose Family were all overweight, he was slightly but in the normal range. Now I got to know these people and they had a lack of energy more than anything and i BELIEVE THAT YES IT WAS GENETIC. Woops hit caps...anyway the Mother died of stomach cancer and the girls, my sisters in laws got stomach cancers and it was found to be some gene that ran in the Family but even though my niece was tested and did not turn out to have that gene she was always very large very tall and overweight.

This was not about food as all 4 girls were eating the same food...they even actually had the same level of activity, so what for the fourth child my sister should have been arrested and her daughter taken away...how stupid!

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bisman
as a US citizen i can only think of the entitlements that kid is going (if he was from the US) to need that i would be paying for throughout his life.
that kind of lifestyle his parents are forcing him into feels like an attack on ME and my means. the responsible people must suffer the burden.

is it ok to take legal action on those who burden the rest of us with their bad decisions?
i say yes.

THINK..Think about what you are saying.

So in the future people who play more than two hours of video games are considered unhealthy. So if you live in a society and drink more than someone else we take legal action...WHERE DOES IT END!

Where is the freedom to BE a person?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

You forgot, both parents are overweighted as well. Swedish research blaimes that 50% of the parents of obesity children in Northern Europe don´t even understand their kids are obese and 75% in Southern Europe is the same. Some even think their obese kids are underweighted.
Parents overlook child obesity

So who is Responsible for Your Child's Health ?

Its not about genes.. forget about genes. People are not as active today they eat more than they spend. If kids have active childhood they do not get weight that easily when they are grown up.. is a fact

This is about parenting true.. some parents just don´t see or are too weak to give rules.
Im sure there should be a big wake up call to families its sad if it goes to this kind of intervention tho.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

It's really far more complicated than that, with all due respect.

The lady is certainly correct that genetics and traits have very much to do with every man's body type. They are effectively being penalized by the state for how God made them, if you're into God.

What next? Thin people being penalized too?

Come to think of it, I've read stories lately about thin youngsters being told by school and other authorities that they were not eating enough, and recommended they eat more fattening foods.

And it's Orwellian.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well I'm gonna weigh in here and say "What the hell?!"

As the mother of a child who is a bit of a chunk, I can assure all the skeptics some kids just cannot be slim.

How do I know this??

To add a correction, I have two kids my daughter age 7, who is built like a rugby player, she is the tallest girl and quite possibly the tallest overall in her class, I have began to start dressing her in adult women clothes...correction, she can fit in MY clothes!

But she is in proportion, despite all the fat she carries, I have no idea why she is like this, because...

Her brother is 11 years old, skinny, fits clothes for his age and is built like his mum, my daughter is built like her dad (they have different dads...that's different instruction to build a human).

Both my kids despite their ages weigh the SAME amount, always have, despite my son being 8lb 4 and my daughter being 8lb 11 at birth respectively, they are fed roughly the same, I say roughlybecause I actually feed my son more than my daughter to make up for his metabolic rate.

My daughter scooters to school every day for half an hour too get to school, my son walks, she is a fantastic little dancer, my son cannot move his body the way she can, oh and there are days when she can beat the $%#T out of her brother because she is so strong.

So what I am trying to say is it isn't always about diet, heaven knows I have tried and it makes no difference, but then again I don't feed my daughter five packets of crisps a day and a ton of processed food, she is only allowed sweets once a week, but I don't deny her a normal kid diet, because she won't thank me for that and it would probably make the situation worse as she grows older.

Oh one last thing, I have taken her to the doctors on several occaisions with regards to her size, but all they seem interested in is keeping a food diary, one nurse tried to put words into her mouth by asking what did you have in your pack lunch today?

I replied..."She didn't have a pack lunch, she eats school dinners everyday, you know, the nutritionally balanced goevernment endosred meal, designed with weight in mind!"

Funnily enough the nurse didn't have a reply for that one.

Sorry for ranting, but it makes my blood boil, especailly when the BMI perfect brigade start preaching that it is all as simple as input- output, because if that were the case my daughter should weigh much less than her brother and she doesn't.

Specifically regarding the article, I would agree it is more than likely the child has been overfed, but the kid's and his parents need support and guidance not ripping apart, there is another factor in all of this, there is a good chance the family are low income and probably don't have the cash to put the lad into after school clubs (they are pricey) sure there are many activities that are free such as walking, but if the kid is anything like my 11 year old you start to get very ansty about walking anywhere with your parents.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join