a reply to: grainofsand
The part I disagreed with was the part where you bragged about how you maintain your wieght, as if somehow that makes you morally superior in some
This thread isn't about YOU!
What this thread is about:
1. Someone has had their right to parent their own kid because some government job's worth thought the kid was too fat.
Response: I posted an article from the CBC where scientists are now getting around to admitting the metabolism isn't as easy as the energy in /
energy out equation.
2. I questioned, in the absence of physical or emotional abuse, what gives the government this right. Being fat is a risk factor for poor health,
but and this is crucial to understand, a risk factor is just that...a risk. Begin fat is not a disease.
3. The kid is 11 years old. What are the parents to do? Deny him food? Is he not old enough to get it himself? Whip him around on a running
track? I think most people would consider that abusive.
4. The government doesn't have a good track record when it comes to refraining from abusing kids themselves. Everyone is sitting back, condemning
these parents but not thinking of what happens to a kid placed in the care of strangers.
Why are people so willing to give up the simple human dignity and right of raising their own kids. Is being fat such a horrible crime that the
constitution and human rights can simply be waived like magic.
5. How will people react is this kid is abused in the foster care system. Do they care about the kid at all or LIKE YOU are they simply concerned
with demonstrating how morally superior they are.
I for one, am outraged that the government would remove a kid from his family for the sole reason that he is fat and as a consequence, might develop
health problems in the future.
Look around - if "risk to health" justifies taking a kid away from his family, what might other "risks to health" look like - your kid breaks his
arm falling out of a tree, you lose your kid until you cut down the tree. You store household cleaners under the sink - no kid for you. You didn't
install the baby car street in the updated approved government fashion (it changes every couple of years) - no kid for you!
Tired of Control Freaks