It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit's horrifying collapse accelerating beyond belief

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I've always been amazed that there is so much lush vacant land but absolutely no-one is growing any vegetables!

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SheopleNation
a reply to: deloprator20000

Really? So what are you going to do with all the gangs and junkies that rule the jungle over there while the same corrupt and incompetent assholes supposedly make everything ok down the road?

Once again, Here we have the nah don't worry about it, everything will work itself out down the road, argument that is slowly strangling The United States of America, and has been doing so since the degenerate 1960's. It's a mindset that is absolutely clueless.

...........shakes head. ~$heopleNation

What we do is stop bickering like a bunch of whinny little children amongst each other and hold our governments accountable. We don't need to use guns, but our brains.

And we need to stop crying over spilled milk. Sure things are f'd up, but we got ourselves into this mess, so it will take people with guts, brains and determination to change it for the better.

I have personally seen what most people would consider ghetto-trash, put their kids through a private school 40 year ago ( Yep Black kids ). They were in my private school and my best friends. And I still keep in touch and love everyone of them like my extended family.

Their parents work 2 and even 3 jobs to put them through, but guess where all of them are today? Yes all of them.

Doctors, surgeons, lawyers, Judges, Pilots, Coaches for Big ten Basketball and more...........otherwise they would have been the junkies, losers, convicts.

Education makes a difference whatever the color of someone's skin maybe.

edit on 7-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Maybe it's time we take 1/8 of our military spending per yer and put it into the best education system in the world.

If we would have done this instead of attacking Iraq and then going into Afghanistan we would already have one, maybe two generations of educated people, that have options.

Not to mention an up-to-date infrastructure. Railways, Trains nationwide etc, but we allow our governments to continue to do stupid things and better yet we allow entire cities to produces ignorant uneducated children.

The war should be at home and not with weapons, but rather the education of the next generation.

A military is important, but not at the expense of ignorant masses, because soon or later those people will not be able to produce anything, they will most likely be consumers if their options are limited.

Example: The Great Welfare System in Detroit currently.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Personally, i think those photos not only show the decompostion of Detroit, but the decomposition of America as a nation.

A great civilization is not conquered from without, until it has destroyed itself from within.

While America is extending its empire in the middle east, it's rotten at the core, just as Rome was.
edit on AM7Sun20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
All I see is before and after pictures of buildings that started on fire, then got torn down. I couldn't get through the entire slideshow as the website's gallery kept crashing.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: NeuronDivide

They are there...but it's not news....at least no the kind the MSM wants us to see.
One of many worthwhile groups making Detroit a better place:
www.cskdetroit.org...

www.cskdetroit.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hello All!

During my work in Michigan I traveled vastly through areas of Detroit, and Flint Michigan.

It seemed as if everyone other house was destroyed and tagged, and houses with fences were relatively unharmed with the exceptions of broken windows that could be thrown over the fence.

A few of the guys I work with took a taxi one night to a strip club, they said they left with in an hour. Being there for a few moments they were offered "cheap" prices for sexual favors and knew better than to pay for the STD's they had surely accumulated.

Plenty of times in my job notes for sites I would read warnings such as, This site requires an armed guard night and day call XXX-XXX-XXXX. Or only work on this site in the day drug dealers and gang activity is rampant.

I carried everyday in these areas and so did the other individuals I worked with.

We actually stayed outside of Detroit in hopes our work materials and tools wouldn't be stolen.

Not all of Michigan was bad, in fact it seemed Detroit and Flint were war zones. Every gas station had bulletproof glass and a very small hole for you to insert money into, it was the same for fast food chains where your food came out on a sort of lazy susan.

However such other areas, more rural areas were fantastic, wooded beautiful landscapes.

Since then I am now working in Chicago and some areas there seem to be in the same state. With plenty of warnings about working only in the day.

I hope that we as Human beings can come closer together and stop destroying ourselves and everything around us, we need balance and one day we will all die, shouldn't that bring us closer together and not farther apart?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The Horror .. Horror/Drama Documentary The Decaying of Detroit !

Tag Line : Dont go as Far as letting this Happen to your Hometown

Influence : flesh eating Cancer ! , Goes to Spoil . Population zero

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Wow! You make things sound pretty bleak. We often wondered if we made the right decision to leave. It's been a hard life out here. We had a chance to go back to Gary many years ago, after a lengthy layoff my husband's union called him back. We stayed in CO.

We spent lots of time in Michigan, can't believe Indianapolis is rotting away too and Cincinnati was such a beautiful town when I was a kid. Haven't been back in years had no idea it was so bad. I doubt we'll ever go back and I certainly don't want to see Chicago turn into Gary.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
How long do empires last? How old is America?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ImDaMan

You know that's what we considered when we decided to leave Gary, IN and learn a new way of life in the middle of nowhere CO. We saw the ship sinking fast and we made like rats.

It's been like a crash course in rural survival. Our lives couldn't be more different. After the American dream gets ripped out from under you it's hard to trust in anything other than your own sweat/toil. We're more ready for the fall here than in Gary. If it never happens we still have a better life in rural CO.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I always felt the occupy Wall Street protest was not only a protest but an answer to the problem. How people were helping people, people bringing the protesters food drinks and various sources of electricity, including a bike set for human power generator. Maybe Detroit will bring this in motion. I've seen lots of cool stuff happening there from community gardens and lots of ppl raising chickens. Even place selling real estate by inches with funds used as a clean up project.

That city needs leaders like no other or no leaders but communal resourcing.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
How do they still have a hockey team??? LOL

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

It's about poverty, not about the color of anyone's skin. It's about culture, it's about lack of parenting, it's about drugs , it's about gangs, it's about the corruption of city officials.

And you can intend on educating all you like, but the fact of the matter is that some of these people do not have any interest whatsoever in being educated.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but if they were putting their kids through college, their kids would not be on the streets selling drugs and commiting crimes, they would be in school. ~$heopleNation

edit on 8-6-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

I'm not going to say it's about the color of anyones skin, per-se. I will say that my capitol city has the exact same things going on as Detroit and it's even starting to look like Detroit. In fact, a lot of the major drug busts here are criminals from Detroit. There was a cover story about it on the local news, -of all places, so you know it's bad. Before all the projects and all that, that town was an amazing place. Charleston is still a quaint, sophisticated little town. There are many areas around the capitol that are poverty-stricken(mostly white) but they have little to no crime. It is a cultural problem in black communities. It's painful to say but evident.

edit on 8-6-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

I hear what you're saying, It's like that out here in California, like over in Oakland or Richmond. I am just saying that poverty is the start of the domino effect.

Over in Stockton this is happening, the City went bankrupt. Big gang and drug problems. It's mostly Latinos and red necks though.

Then again, Aaron Hernandez, the former Tight End for the New England Patriots had millions of dollars, yet he commited murder over nothing.

So it could be a cultural issue, like how one grows up, what kind of an environment and that sort of thing. Wish I knew how to fix it. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SalientSkivvy
How do they still have a hockey team??? LOL

Detroit has a hockey team.

A baseball team, a football team, Hard Rock Cafe, a major symphony orchestra, and major universities.
Among other places and teams.

These institutions seem to thrive despite government corruption, and the collapse of neighborhoods.
There's good and bad in all cities, I'd say.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: BobAthome
heres the problem,,

850M divided by 85thousand houses,, $10,000.00 / house,,,seems high?

It's not just houses, it's commercial buildings too. plus the hauling off of all the debris. I can't see doing it for much less than that. They also have to haul off all the crap that's been dumped on vacant lots as well. It's the number the Blight Buster Group came up with, they have been doing it for awhile so I'm pretty sure that number is in the ballpark.

American Business used too be best in the world,,

$850 MILLION AMERICAN $'S up for grabs. Backed by the American Government.

and no American business leader can put together a simple plan?

maybe they should open up bidding,, world wide???

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lipton

originally posted by: BobAthome
heres the problem,,

850M divided by 85thousand houses,, $10,000.00 / house,,,seems high?

I live in a small town in Missouri and own two houses on the block (bought as a package deal, they sit next to one another). I am renovating one and the best bid I've gotten was $15,000 to doze the other one down and grade the lot properly

If I got a bid tomorrow for $10,000 I'd be throwing my wallet at them that moment

here u go start here,,
dor.mo.gov...

then here,,
www.ded.mo.gov...

im sure there must be some way to close the deal.

wink, wink,

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It was corporate greed, driven by the desire for higher profits through cheaper labor and production costs within the various major industries in Detroit that caused this ultimately.

Funny that people can't yet see the same things are beginning to happen in other major cities in the USA....

But these should be the least of our worries now.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join