It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Blissfully Ignorant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I suppose the reason I'm here (on an internet forum in general, but a conspiracy one in particular) is mostly because I'm surrounded in the real world with people who are happy to be dumb. They don't want to learn. They don't want to pick up a book, not a serious one anyway. They don't want to do anything hard. Everything has to be easy and fun. Food just needs to taste good (even if it is actually a bit toxic); they'd rather eat M&Ms than the fresh ripe berries out back. Anything bought from a store is better to them than what's free in nature. (We know of course it's just the opposite.) You can't make them care about anything that is wrong unless it directly affects them. You certainly can't teach them anything, not only because it might take some effort, but because it might mean they would miss Duck Dynasty or Dancing with the Stars. It's ironic that now we have high def. TV, smart wireless phones, laptop computers and the world-wide internet with so much info at the click of a mouse, people are probably dumber and lazier-minded than ever in history. And now they are taking over the internet with their social media and smart phones.

The natural world still seems to be working fine, but the human portion of it seems broken and beyond repair. We don't need to twitter our lives away, or post our family photo albums online. We don't need smart phones; we need smart people. And people that care, about right and wrong not political correctness and diversity. And people that will take a stand. People like my grandparents' generation and earlier, with good old-fashioned values. But they're gone for good though I suppose. I don't see any way to fix this except to let it play out, probably to an inevitable societal collapse of some sort. Can these people go from popping dinners in a microwave to cooking over an open fire and hauling water from a spring?

They say is ignorance is bliss - well no smart phone for me - I guess that's why I'm not happy.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Good Rant! You describe well the same things I've been thinking for years now.

I blame all the lies we're told from the git-go, and sometimes I wish for total economic and social collapse just to see the clueless wake up finally.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: toidiem

Great Rant.

Watch Duck Dynasty, you will feel right at home.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Could'nt agree more with all your points ! People's critical thinking skills have been eroded by " Technology " " Progress " ( ? )

Society is " Dumbing down " at an alarming rate, why walk when you can drive ? ( And sit in traffic jams. But they won't be parted from their cars, at any cost.....)

Why eat what is good for you, when man made rubbish tastes better ? ( arguably...) Why bother to educate yourself, when you can waste time on tripe like Facebook / Twitter / " Celebrity " adoration ?

Why appreciate a beautiful day / nature at her best / worst, when we can and do insulate ourselves from the same ?

Why appreciate the night sky, when you can watch shallow, narcissistic people behaving badly on T. V ?

We are being fed a " Diet " of rubbish to suppress our thinking / questioning skills, blindly following the latest trashy trend. I'm not sure what the ultimate goal of this is,
But, it is working....." Rise of the ( Electronic) machines " it is happening, but in a far more subtle way than Arnold Schwarzenegger's character would recognise....

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Great rant

But thats just how it is now.
These days if you dont have a smart phone, Your ancient. Thats the mentality these days.
I laugh at the idea that most people could not even go 1hr (let alone 1day) without their mobile yet not too long ago mobiles werent even generally around. God how did we live back then?
Sometimes i wish a massive EMP would strike and wipe out all electronics to see how most people would react.
It would be utter choas.
To think some (actually alot) of people spend most of there time facebooking, tweeting, texting, blah blah instead of getting out there, spending time in nature, having fun the old fashioned way is just beyond me.
We dont control our belongings, Our belongings now control us.
But thats just society now -
If you dont keep up you will get left behind, Sometimes i think, Thats fine with me!!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyaussi

An excellent point made, about our belongings now controlling us, it really has got that bad. Particularly applies to " Smart " Phones ...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Good rant

Nothing is normal anymore. Life was better before the Internet. Food was better before it was polluted by chemicals and the encouragement to be lazy about it. At this point I'll throw in my own rant about those horrid little carrot turds, doused in chemical toxins that replaced real carrots. Is it that hard to peel a carrot???

One thing I'm thankful for is I wasn't born a hundred years in the future. Can't imagine how horrible it will be by then. Your post would be interesting to read by someone in the future. They wouldn't understand any of it,

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyaussi we rode around on dinosaurs .. hit potential mates over the head with clubs and dragged them back to our caves .. roasted chunks of meat over open fires ..

Great rant .. well said

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I have a smart phone but I agree it's a bad thing. Not hard to figure out what the real plot was behind it's creation. To get you to share everything you're doing, planning to do, or just did. I'm not on any social media sites. They all connect into each other from what I see. It's a way to keep track of everybody,. Not that they need to do that at this moment but in time we will be hiding from something. Living in a state of fear.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   

The thing that makes me angry about the rise of portable data and communication systems like smartphones and tablets, is that they ruin the quality of discourse in this modern society. I am not referring to the habit of twitter users, to use less characters than a word would ordinarily contain, just so they can extend the communication potential of the character limit.

I am also talking about face to face communication. I have a friend who has a smartphone, and lives about four and a half miles from me. I will visit with her periodically, share a cup of tea, maybe play a retro computer game, or listen to a metal album of some sort. However, since she got this device, she can barely pull her nose out of it for long enough to complete a sentence. This means, that I will travel the lions share of five miles, so that someone with whom I am conversing, can trail off mid sentence to devote more of her processing time to commenting on someones facebook status, retweeting things, and monitoring the order in which her Spotify or LastFM song lists actually play.

So despite the fact that I myself, eschew the smartphone for a variety of reasons, I am denied good conversation as a result of the decision my friends and some members of my family have made, to own one.

I do not own a smartphone, but I am none the less effected by their ascendency to the level of importance people now place in the gadgets.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Watch Duck Dynasty, you will feel right at home.

I've seen a few episodes, or parts of them. I can't watch it hours on end like my nephew does (he records it and other stupid, unreal reality shows). But I do appreciate the old man (Phil?) speaking out even though it got them in hot water.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrJohnSmith
Why appreciate the night sky, when you can watch shallow, narcissistic people behaving badly on T. V ?

Interesting that you mention that. I go out and look at the stars a lot. And people either think I'm nuts or that there is something wrong, or both like I'm looking at a UFO.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyaussi
We dont control our belongings, Our belongings now control us.

Nicely put - I can probably use that in a conversation sometime, while trying to get through to them.

top topics

join