It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Illusion of Human Superiority

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
My cat is more respectable than I am. My cat is a male cat. Every day, he faces challenges that not many people have to face. He fights constantly for his territory. He has to face the extremes of outside weather while I get to enjoy the comfort of a home. He isn't at the top of the food chain, so he has to have a keen awareness of his environment and be on the look out for predators. We give him cat food, but he is still always on the look out for a kill. He's tough. He doesn't back down from a fight. He'll look you in the eye only when you respect him. If you don't respect him, you won't see him.

Humans assume they are the superior species because we are at the top of the food chain. This causes us to not respect other species of animals. I think that is a major weakness in the human mind. We've got it made and we take it for granted. We don't have to endure anywhere near the hardships that every other animal has to endure.

Until you realize this, and learn to respect all animals and even plants as individuals worthy of respect, you're not going to understand who or what you are in relation to them. Therefore, you will have a narrow view of what this world is. Human's aren't superior. We all deserve equal respect. Until you respect the world, you won't be able to look it in the eye. If you can't look it in the eye, you won't understand it, and sadly, you probably won't even understand what I'm saying.
edit on 5-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

The thing I love about cats, even though domesticated they remain sharp as razors. We should be so hyper aware of our surroundings.

Neatest thing for me to watch is a cat "at rest" still twitching his ears and swishing the tail.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The difference between us and a cat is that a cat cannot learn from the numerous previous generations of cats, as we humans learn from the previous generations of humans. We have been there, we have done that, we have survived, we have evolved.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
GOD SAID IN THE BIBLE EAT ANIMALS. I LIKE CHICKEN, END OF STORY.

Maybe someday every animal will be free range, i hate zoo's.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

Im not saying don't eat animals. But you don't eat every animal you see. So they are there for more than just food.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
we have evolved.

I disagree. Our available knowledge and technology have evolved. But we, anatomically, haven't changed much. We certainly haven't changed or increased our abilities as much as our collected history and technology. We're just adding more and more to an inanimate collection of things.

In fact, I would call this our disadvantage. All our collected materials have done for us is ruin us. It's polluting the atmosphere and making us sick. Our governments are making us dependent and weak. Our economic ability of interdependent production makes a lot of people who are stuck in menial jobs have menial lives. People like that are the kind of people that will eat meat but are too weak minded and back-bone-lacking to kill it themselves. They are too ignorant to understand that killing animals is what has to happen for them to eat them. That's what our "evolution" looks like.

Pay attention to what I'm saying. If you don't respect animals, you won't understand them. That's my main point. I mean really understand them. Empathize with them. There's us. Then there's everything else. We are a minority population, albeit with a major fingerprint. The point is, there is a lot out there, and if you don't take the time to understand it by respecting it, and equalizing the playing field with it, you're missing out on more than you realize. A whole lot more. There's no words that do justice to expressing the value of having the ability to communicate with animals. You're not better than anything. Sorry.
edit on 5-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

So Iam supposed to be an animal and it's equal giving it respect. But when I want to act like an animal I am then a human and better than that. I have seen how respectful cats are playing with mice torturing them with teeth and claw, then in a quick blow they kill them and let them lay walking away. No food just death to the new toy. The African bush will separate the respect from the stupid, walk by a hungry lion look him in the eye to get some respect and he will see how you taste.

Pack animals, herd animals all establish a pecking order at feeding time, if you're not strong enough to move someone off the food so you can eat you die as a horse, wolf, or coyote. They don't step away and let the other eat, saving that life, ah but a human will make sure that happens in a herd of horses to make sure all are fed.

Animals don't respect me unless I demand it, I have managed over 40 horses at one time with 20 in a 5 acre pen. I am just another member of the herd if I don't make them back off and give me room. They will bite you, push you down, and kick you if you give them the chance by not paying attention.

As a human I am superior, I can build, comprehend, create cities, be trained to drive cars, reason, practice medicine on another humans, grow my own food, and care for animals. yes I am superior.

If you claim man to be an animal then you claim it will be survival of the fittest, we will want to be with our own kind, and shun those that are different, and compete for life with the rest of the animals, eat or be eaten. Humans are not animals.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I don't necessarily consider myself morally, intellectually or emotionally superior to any other species. There is no evidence that I am, and in fact there is some that indicates I am not superior in those aspects. In that sense I suppose I agree with you. However, by whatever quirk and coincidence of nature we are currently, with out a doubt, no denying it, the dominant species on the planet. Going back to your example, the existence of your cat is inextricably bound up with you. You are the force, more than any other in his life, that determines his fate.

With the animals that rely upon me I accept that hierarchy at face value. The moral aspect that is far more pervasive in this is simply understanding that this dominance also indicates a responsibility to those beings that are lower within that hierarchy. That sense of reciprocity and accountability for and to those we hold sway over is a human standard of morality. It is its own kind of arrogance to apply those moral sensibilities to animals that may very well have a different understanding and value index assigned to the entire concept.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
We have 4 cats, 2 males and 2 females, all indoors And the males don't fight, they're all fixed and quite civilized

The small male tries to disengage us form the light boxes/computer, and will turn them off sometimes

He also seems to open my journal cover and snoop through it

He likes to sneak some juice and will bite through the juice boxes before I get a chance to put all the groceries away and licks watermelon

Sometimes I think he's a spy and not a cat.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Thank you for your reply.

originally posted by: redhorse

I don't necessarily consider myself morally, intellectually or emotionally superior to any other species. There is no evidence that I am, and in fact there is some that indicates I am not superior in those aspects. In that sense I suppose I agree with you. However, by whatever quirk and coincidence of nature we are currently, with out a doubt, no denying it, the dominant species on the planet.

As far as our ability to destroy anything by the billions, in that respect, we are dominant. But that isn't what defines an animal's value (and yes, a human is an animal). As far as value and respectability goes, we're not number one. At best, we can hope to be equal.

There are very few humans that can say that they have overcome as many daily challenges as most all other animals.
edit on 6-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

So Iam supposed to be an animal and it's equal giving it respect.

Yes.

walk by a hungry lion look him in the eye to get some respect and he will see how you taste.

So are you saying you're not respectable?

I didn't say "get respect from animals", I said, "give respect to animals".

Pack animals, herd animals all establish a pecking order at feeding time, if you're not strong enough to move someone off the food so you can eat you die as a horse, wolf, or coyote. They don't step away and let the other eat, saving that life, ah but a human will make sure that happens in a herd of horses to make sure all are fed.

All this is is different animals do things different. It doesn't mean because they do it different, they don't deserve respect.

Animals don't respect me unless I demand it, I have managed over 40 horses at one time with 20 in a 5 acre pen. I am just another member of the herd if I don't make them back off and give me room. They will bite you, push you down, and kick you if you give them the chance by not paying attention.

I can speak plainly to my dog. I don't yell or scream. I say, "do this". And it gets done. My dog respects me. That's easy. The hard thing, but the most valuable thing to do is to come down from you high horse, be humble, and listen to what the dog has to say. That takes recognizing it as an equal and showing it respect. If you understood the value of it, like I do, we wouldn't be having this discussion. You think there is no value. You are missing out on a lot more in life and the things you can experience than you know.

As a human I am superior, I can build, comprehend, create cities, be trained to drive cars, reason, practice medicine on another humans, grow my own food, and care for animals. yes I am superior.

Walk up to a lion unarmed and see who's more equipped to survive. You mention all this power you have, but power is nothing compared to the understanding that can be gained from humbling yourself to see the relative power of other species.

Humans are not animals.

Its very unfortunate for you that you think that.

You will live the rest of your life surrounded by millions of things that you don't give any value to other than sustenance for sustaining more of the same narrow perspective. There's a whole world of discovery out there that's always been around you, and you'll never know anything about it other than it fills your stomach, they fill their stomach, and you could easily kill it. Its really a shame. Its a shame you won't experience what I've found to be extraordinary, and its a shame you don't know its a shame.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Sounds like you have a smart cat.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I have a hard time empathizing with animals, and other humans...

I'll dive into the pet/companion situation.

I currently have 3 male cats at home, I'm not the type to be called a cat person because I've had a turtle, a dog, two hamsters, a snake, some fish, and my first pet ever was in fact a cat.

The relationship between me and my cats is mutual. I give you food, you act cute. I clean your litter box, you entertain me by playing with your own tail. Of course there is no sense of communication here other than when my cats meow, it means something is up, or they want to play.

Two cats are indoor cats. The outdoor one always wants to go outside, but I will not allow him because our neighborhood has many unleashed dogs and wild foxes (yes, FOXES). Plus this cat is old and fat, so he certainly cannot outrun a fox. Which brings me to ME POSSESSING my cat, to force him to stay inside. MY cat does have some sort of affinity for me because hes always with me when I am at home. I guess its because he is special to me, I mean I did choose to take him from the shelter when I was around 10 years of age.

I only that there can only be a certain degree of understanding of domesticated animals, not so much the nature/wild range of species.

If it comes to survival of the fittest, naturally, only random chance deals the cards. Because not all humans are capable of withstanding nature's power. Whether or not in any given situation, you need the running speed of a Cheetah and strong sharp claws of an Eagle, along with piercing teeth of a Shark to catch a prey without materials (aka guns/traps).

OTHERWISE, if humans are the superior beings why are we still hating on the differences of ourselves?

I call for a public execution on those pooping pigeons outside my house, they seriously want me to paint myself red.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

If you think compliance=respect, you don't know what respect is.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

And "accomplish" all of that by slowly consuming and contaminating the very thing that sustains not only us but all other life--our planet.

We've poisoned the air, the water; we eat food that gives us cancer and commit genocide against each other for the right to do it.

Very evolved.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: xVeon
Of course there is no sense of communication here other than when my cats meow, it means something is up, or they want to play.

My cats meow because they want something. But they also have a meow that means, "I see the respectful look in your eyes, and I, too, respect you". That means a lot. It means a lot because that kind of relationship between a human and a cat or a human and any other animal is few and far between. There aren't many people that can get that kind of respect from an animal. You may be one of them that can, idk.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
You naysayers don't understand that there is a whole world of discovery out there that only requires your respect to be discovered. The only thing animals mean to most of you is, 1) can you eat them? 2) can they eat you? 3) what do they eat? 4) how can I benefit from exploiting them?

Is that all life is supposed to be? No. You are in the company of some awesome creatures that you lack the reverence to appreciate.

You're surrounded by trillions of unique creatures who value their own lives as much as you value yours, and you don't understand why they value it.

You need to respect all animals as equals to find out.

edit on 6-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

So Iam supposed to be an animal and it's equal giving it respect.

Yes.

walk by a hungry lion look him in the eye to get some respect and he will see how you taste.

So are you saying you're not respectable?

I didn't say "get respect from animals", I said, "give respect to animals".

All this is is different animals do things different. It doesn't mean because they do it different, they don't deserve respect.

I can speak plainly to my dog. I don't yell or scream. I say, "do this". And it gets done. My dog respects me. That's easy. The hard thing, but the most valuable thing to do is to come down from you high horse, be humble, and listen to what the dog has to say. That takes recognizing it as an equal and showing it respect. If you understood the value of it, like I do, we wouldn't be having this discussion. You think there is no value. You are missing out on a lot more in life and the things you can experience than you know.

Walk up to a lion unarmed and see who's more equipped to survive. You mention all this power you have, but power is nothing compared to the understanding that can be gained from humbling yourself to see the relative power of other species.

Humans are not animals.

Its very unfortunate for you that you think that.

You will live the rest of your life surrounded by millions of things that you don't give any value to other than sustenance for sustaining more of the same narrow perspective. There's a whole world of discovery out there that's always been around you, and you'll never know anything about it other than it fills your stomach, they fill their stomach, and you could easily kill it. Its really a shame. Its a shame you won't experience what I've found to be extraordinary, and its a shame you don't know its a shame.

I don't feel I am on a high horse, and I am not projecting any kind of attitude. I spent 10 years rescuing horses, feeding horses, medicating horses, handling horses, saving horses from unimaginable things that would make a person sick. I have done what's considered stealing horses from people that were abusive and animal control would do nothing. I am under no illusion that horses would give you the same respect that you want to give them. They are after all flight animals, eyes forward, they run first and ask questions later. I have a farrier friend that calls me a whisperer because after hours of watching, working, and caring for them I understand them and they understood me, nothing more. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Only a fool would walk by a lion unarmed and thats a different kind of respect, but if you think we are animals then it should be a mutual kind of respect, and the reality is it isn't. Your dog doesn't respect you, he loves you he wants to do whatever you want, he wants to please you. The power I hold isn't arrogance it's being a human being, drop your cat in the freezing forest of Alaska and see who last longer a human being or a cat. Humans can be trained to survive and live in a freezing forest in Alaska, a cat would be food for another animal or freeze to death.

Of course approaching a lion unarmed would have him better to survive, put him in a busy intersection and see who survives. This isn't about survival, it's about respect, and a lion doesn't respect me, I am dinner. He would show me no more respect than he would a zebra. Both tasty.

I have had a great life with my involvement of horses, what you find extraordinary I got to experience for just over 10 years. I have seen them die in front of me, and brought them back from the brink of death. Spent more money than I would admit to, and never compained. But in the end they are animals, the only respect they understand is the kind that comes at feeding time, the toughest eats first, and there will be hell and major expenses if challenged by another.

Animals respect strength and violence, I know they can also love, and feel sorrow for the death of another. But they don't respect for intelligence, creativity, education, breeding, or family as humans do. I respect you for this thread and your concern for animals, they can be special, they can awful. I have experienced both usually awful comes from their treatment from people. It's amazing the things horses taught me, one of the most important is, we train people how to treat us, if someone yells at me and I let them get away with it, I am in training them that it is acceptable to treat me this way.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

And "accomplish" all of that by slowly consuming and contaminating the very thing that sustains not only us but all other life--our planet.

We've poisoned the air, the water; we eat food that gives us cancer and commit genocide against each other for the right to do it.

Very evolved.

And this has what to do with respecting animals?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

If you think compliance=respect, you don't know what respect is.

Have you really spent any time around herd animals? Seriously... Not your dog or your cat in the house with a can of food and a toy. I mean seriously learning animal habits, communication, feeding etiquette, herd mentality. etc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join