It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 shot at Seattle Pacific university Otto Miller hall

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: WAstateMosin

Meh, agreed..

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Was anything I posted there wrong? The only tragedy I used to push a pro-gun agenda in that thread was the tragedy that was that OP's stance against the American 2nd Amendment. I was responding to the user of tragedies. It isn't "my side" that runs into every thread about a shooting and goes off topic with "mah guns! You can't have 'em! Mah guns!" Rather, in every damn one of those threads, usually within the first 10 replies, some jackwagon goes completely off topic and decides to make the thread about a violent act into an anti-firearm topic... either with a snarly one-liner or with a rambling manifesto wall of text intended to manipulate the emotional aspect of the event.

If I was to "use a tragedy to push a pro gun agenda", you'd see me wading into every rape thread, murder thread, buglary thread, knock out game thread, etc with "Hmm, if only the victim had possessed a convenient way to defend themself, like a gun!" That's the difference between being an ambulance chaser and simply trying to defend a right against the immoral who take advantage of any incident they can to push their unconstitutional dreams for America.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

From a pro gun site..

Gun Violence in Sweden

This is a perfect example of why even in a country like Sweden, restrictive gun laws do not stop criminals from possessing illegal weapons or using them to commit a crime.

From a fact check place.
Fact-checking claims on guns and gun violence

"Switzerland (where the government) issues every household a gun . . . has the lowest gun related crime rate of any civilized country in the world!!!" (Pants on Fire)

A Swiss researcher told us claims like this are "absurd." The lowest gun-related crime rate? Not for homicide. Meanwhile, the likelihood of a gun being involved in a robbery or an assault in Switzerland is lower in several other countries. In short, this claim appears to be completely fabricated.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Apparently there's been more than one mass shooting in Canada...they have their own debates about gun control

Canadian Gun Control

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Uh huh..

Sure I'm wrong and your right..

Your right to own a weapon is more important than another's right to life..

Well than explain to me, whenever someone posts about a tragedy not relating to guns...some "jackhole" comes in the thread and says something about "thank god for gun control.
" Where are you? Why are you not telling them the same thing?

But I am wrong and your side is right..

edit on 5-6-2014 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Well done, staff! Maybe the death toll will stay at 1 because of reactions. Must be well trained, or very alert.

Now I am beginning to wonder if there is something going on, mass shootings seem almost a weekly occurrence. Is it some sort of contest amongst the armed and completely deranged to compete for who can rack up the biggest death toll? Have things really gotten so bad that we are losing complete control of ourselves and letting the Dark Side have us?

I often wonder if it is a by product of a society that continues to be detached from reality, even to the point we no longer even have human interactions any more?

Maybe instead of arguing for an agenda, maybe people should start trying to find out why so many people are flipping out in big ways, and address that issue. Are they all on the same kinds of meds, if so, then there needs to be a closer look into those drugs. If they are not on meds, should they be? If they are not on meds but should be, why aren't they? I agree partly that people are over-medicated and overly diagnosed with mental illness, when in fact, they were actually going through a rough patch in life, like a death, and were naturally depressed due to circumstances, not brain function. But there are a good number of people who benefit greatly from medication with therapy, and them not taking their meds is what makes them dangerous, to themselves or others.

If no medication or mental illness is involved, and these are people who are, for the most part, sane, then we might have an even bigger problem.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BobM88

Did you ever see how rare they are compared to America..

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Well done, staff! Maybe the death toll will stay at 1 because of reactions. Must be well trained, or very alert.

Now I am beginning to wonder if there is something going on, mass shootings seem almost a weekly occurrence. Is it some sort of contest amongst the armed and completely deranged to compete for who can rack up the biggest death toll? Have things really gotten so bad that we are losing complete control of ourselves and letting the Dark Side have us? ?

Maybe instead of arguing for an agenda, maybe people should start trying to find out why so many people are flipping out in big ways, and address that issue. Are they all on the same kinds of meds, if so, then there needs to be a closer look into those drugs.

The real agenda should be..stopping these lunatics from getting these guns. The question is how?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

My apologies, I thought you said "one".

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Now I am beginning to wonder if there is something going on, mass shootings seem almost a weekly occurrence. Is it some sort of contest amongst the armed and completely deranged to compete for who can rack up the biggest death toll? Have things really gotten so bad that we are losing complete control of ourselves and letting the Dark Side have us? ?

Maybe instead of arguing for an agenda, maybe people should start trying to find out why so many people are flipping out in big ways, and address that issue. Are they all on the same kinds of meds, if so, then there needs to be a closer look into those drugs.

The real agenda should be..stopping these lunatics from getting these guns. The question is how?

By getting them actual mental health treatment so they're no longer lunatics? Just a thought...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobM88

My apologies, I thought you said "one".

I actually said "the one rare time", meaning it has happened but is rare.

It was to the poster trying to make it sound like our gun control laws make it easier for gun lunatics to do this, when in fact it is because of our gun laws and health care(most get the help they need)..it is rare.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobM88
Apparently there's been more than one mass shooting in Canada...

Are you kidding? Canada pioneered the genre:

5-28-75 Centennial Secondary School in Brampton, Ontario, Canada Michael Slobodian, 16 3 dead, 9 seriously wounded

10-27-75 St. Pius X High School, Ottawa, Canada Robert Poulin, 18 3 dead, 6 wounded

5-6-84 Canadian Forces corporal Denis Lortie kills three in Canada's Parliament Building.

12-6-89 Ecole Poytechnique, Montreal, Canada 15 dead, 14 wounded
Marc Lepine, 25

In fact I would go so far as to say our current plague only started after the poor example set by our northern neighbors.

Thanks, Canada. Thanks a lot.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I think we all agree with that, up to the question of 'how'. Your approach is to focus on firearms. For various reasons, I think that will prove ineffective. I believe you have to focus on the mentally ill, including improving the identification, diagnosis and treatment of those who are potentially dangerous, as well as tightening up the reporting of those types into the NICS system so that they can't slip through the cracks. And most importantly, this needs to be done in a manner that in no way infringes upon the rights of the law-abiding, responsible majority.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Upadate:

www.kirotv.com...
The lone gunman was armed with a shotgun. A student said the gunman didn't say anything before he started shooting. ...
The source also told KIRO 7 that a vehicle connected to the suspect was linked to the parent of a student. It was not immediately clear how that man obtained the vehicle. Police were investigating a white pickup truck that was found across from the school on Third Avenue West between West Ewing Street and West Nickerson Street.

-----------------------

Catapulting the propaganda?

www.upi.com...< br /> Real loaded gun found in Target toy aisle as activists pressure retailer to ban firearms

edit on 5-6-2014 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego
Ya, ya, ok, I missed the intent - you should have added the "let me be clear" qualifier... just to be clear.

edit on 5-6-2014 by LadySkadi because:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

You can't stop a lunatic from getting a gun any more than you can stop a tiger from mauling a goat using using a barrier of paper between them.

So again, the question should be, why are there so many dangerous lunatics running loose to began with? Or if they are relatively normal, then why are they snapping?

The fact that more and more people are becoming more and more unstable in the first place precedes any argument regarding guns.

There is a distinct rise of mental illness in this country. Including amongst cops. So even the pro gun control crowd should be worried. Is society that dysfunctional?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Yes, I re-read your post. My apologies. I misread it as "one".

Lunatics with guns. You made an excellent point. My belief is that the American mental health system, for the poor/impoverished/whatever is the word now, is horrible. I don't want to derail this thread with my thoughts on that, other than to say that if we had no lunatics, we'd have no lunatics with guns.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Your right to own a weapon is more important than another's right to life..

1. None of MY weapons have EVER negatively effected another's right to life... so yeah, my rights are inalienable.
2. You state the standard "right to life" argument... curious to know your position on abortion "rights" which have cost 50+ Million American children their right to life over the past 40 years. For comparison sake, that number dwarfs the number of firearm deaths in America's entire history, including our wars. Unless you're out there chasing that ambulance too, your use of the "right to life" argument rings of hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
So... Just a question to the anti-gunners/stricter gun controllers: If you got your way, how would people protect themselves if a situation arose? Call the police? Seriously. Duke it out? Gang up, maybe like in this case? Just wanna let you guys be clear...
edit on 6/6/2014 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

How do you stop someone that for the vast majority of the cases never shows signs that they are going to go off one day and kill?

How do you keep them from getting guns when most of the time they either steal them or can pass any "test".

How do we also keep them from getting knives, bats, hammers, CARS ets all capable of mass killing?

There is 310 million Americans and you want to figure out how to stop or identify a handful of people per year from freaking out and going on a killing spree.

You know cars kill a hell of a lot more, so I would like to see your posts on lowering the speed limit to 25 nationwide or some other deterrent to reduce all those deaths too.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join