It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Barack Obama backs 'strong and united' UK

page: 22
<< 19  20  21   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

On that, we can completely agree.

Can I take it that you are for independence?

I am curious because you are there.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

Provisionally i agree with a Yes vote regarding our independence. Whether or not said independence is socio economically viable is a whole other matter. After all its not my generation that will pay for the wrong decision it's our children, and our children's children!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It is a tricky situation isn't it?

The one thing I dont like to see is other countries talking "authoritatively" about what Scotland should do, or what is best for Scotland. They may want to comment on what they think the effect of an independent Scotland would have on their country, but to offer an opinion on what Scots should do is wrong.

I also think that people of Scottish descent that live elsewhere, but identify as Scottish should also shut up and leave the issue to Scots.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Leonidas

"I also think that people of Scottish descent that live elsewhere, but identify as Scottish should also shut up and leave the issue to Scots."

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However my opinion is the relevance of such is somewhat diminished unless you actually experience the place on a day to day basis, considering this YES or NO will have a direct effect on the populations everyday existence. Like the Cost of food, electricity, gas, tax, and even land which will indeed affect you in some respects I imagine.

As to it being a "Tricky situation", that's one way of putting it, another is that its the end of an empire, hopefully the beginnings of a smaller more peaceful society, then again chance would be a fine thing!

Somehow i cannot shake the feeling that this will all end in tears, then again i have been known to be a little paranoid on certain occasions generally pertaining to TPTB!
LoL
edit on 14-6-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It would also affect the rest of the union, so the Welsh and English should also get a vote.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Mister_Bit

As a Canadian, I can tell you that many Canadians feel the same way as you do in reference to the issue of Quebec independence. At times it seems Quebec is either threatening separation or trying to enact it. In our situation, we feel that it is not up to one province to decide the fate of the entire nation on it's own. Scotland was an independent once. Quebec never was.

But I dont want to draw to many parallels between a vote for Quebec independence and the vote for Scottish independence.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mister_Bit
It would also affect the rest of the union, so the Welsh and English should also get a vote.

This has nothing to do with anyone other than we scots and really all of the nay sayers should hang their heads.

Why not wish us well and encourage us? We have heard all the arguments and the political spin...Scotland will be better off although by how much depends on how we proceed.

More importantly, this is an opportunity to unchain ourselves from those long established corrupt institutions in London.

Who would want to be part of that?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

You obviously have thought this through, what are the deciding factors for you?

What do you think the possible negatives are of independence?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
a reply to: midicon

You obviously have thought this through, what are the deciding factors for you?

What do you think the possible negatives are of independence?

In life and in general I am apolitical. I voted for the first time recently and chose UKIP...mainly because this European superstate is a monster.

The real deciding factor for me is the opportunity for change. When will we have this chance again?

I can see lots of negatives...the first one being Salmonds vision for Scotland.
I can see that if we do gain independence then, rather than help us get on our feet our so called friends will be as difficult as possible.

I have a few English extended family members...and some friends...and only yesterday met some girls from Newcastle. All without exception say better together. Most of my own relatives sing the same song...better together. I fear for their sanity.

The internet has galvanized a generation...if not into action at least into political dissatisfaction. If independence is gained and an election follows who knows what will happen.

I have listened to the main parties debating the issues...last night I watched Sturgeon, Alexander and co...discuss the possible economic outcomes...Scotland could be a very rich country...maybe, but even the worst scenario won't make us any poorer.

We are always better together of course, the problem is that we are tied to these corrupt institutions. I am happy to be British but I don't want to be governed by the city of London.

We have a chance here, I wish my English friends had the same one.

I just had to add...even the pope is saying better together...

edit on 14-6-2014 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

I wonder if that's where Potters Million went. The no campaign are certainly getting their money's worth in celebrity endorsement...

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

A direct attempt to split the Catholic vote?... MI5 And the No camp at their best.
edit on 15-6-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21   >>

join