It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Barack Obama backs 'strong and united' UK

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
Usually when i see a drunk laying about the street i would stop and ask him if he was ok, but hey, that's just me.
When i see a Drug addict i usually wonder what happened in their lives that drove them to destroy it..but hey, that's just me.
i certainly wouldn't be thinking...Oops, time to move.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Excuse me but I am woefully ignorant on the issue of Scottish independence and what it means,for instance would it be a common wealth kinda thing like Jamaica,Canada,Australia etc,or would they dump the prime-minister and have a President like the U.S South Africa and Trinidad, either way how much practical difference would it make..just asking.

Wait a minute South Africa is actually a common wealth,so how come they get to have a president.
edit on 8-6-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Same here, I am on first name terms with most of the local street drinkers I pass daily.
Curiously though, although Buckfast Tonic Wine is from Devon, our biggest market is Scotland, while our alcoholics tend to prefer cider.
If Scotland becomes independent it could actually be good boost for our locally produced exports, I can't see Scottish alcoholics suddenly stop abusing the Bucky if a couple of quid extra is added to the bottle price in import taxes.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
It appears that some want to keep the head of state as the current Queen, and continue using £GBP Sterling under the control of the Bank of England, then sign up to the EU and presumably the Euro.
That's the kind of independence I see being discussed mainly. Doesn't seem that 'independent' to me.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
It appears that some want to keep the head of state as the current Queen, and continue using £GBP Sterling under the control of the Bank of England, then sign up to the EU and presumably the Euro.
That's the kind of independence I see being discussed mainly. Doesn't seem that 'independent' to me.

Thanks for the answer,but in cases like Canada Jamaica and Australia the Bank of England controls those currencies.??

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
No, they have their own central banks.
*Edit* And they also issue and control their own independent currencies.

edit on 8-6-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

No, they have their own central banks.
*Edit* And they also issue and control their own independent currencies.

Ok but other than the Queen showing up and waving a gloved hand where everyone put on their Sunday best for a meet and greet what practical benefit is the commonwealth to anyone involved including England.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Same here, I am on first name terms with most of the local street drinkers I pass daily.
Curiously though, although Buckfast Tonic Wine is from Devon, our biggest market is Scotland, while our alcoholics tend to prefer cider.
If Scotland becomes independent it could actually be good boost for our locally produced exports, I can't see Scottish alcoholics suddenly stop abusing the Bucky if a couple of quid extra is added to the bottle price in import taxes.

I used to drink Buckfast myself, Held done a job raised a family etc...just because you preffer one type of tipple over another doesn't automatically make you a Bum...
I remember many years ago i was holidaying in Devon. Ran out of Buckfast after a day or so. I bought a day permit to fish some river, the name escapes me, and low and behold on the way to the river i stumble across Mecca..yip, Buckfast Abbey..
caught a nice Salmon that day also..

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
A true independent Scotland gets to call all the shots without influence of Westminster, and have only themselves to blame if anything goes wrong. I can understand the wish for it, although I would prefer a federal UK, as I like being able to think I can turn left or right at my beach then keep walking all round the island without leaving my country. Quite a long walk I'll admit lol

...I have no idea why Scots want an English monarch as their head of state though, or a £GBP controlled by the Bank of England, maybe some Scots here could enlighten us?

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I agree Bucky doesn't equal bum.

Haha, good story about your visit here, that would have been the River Dart, lovely, I was kayaking there a couple of weeks ago, anglers hate us!

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Although Buckfast accounts for only 0.5% of alcohol sales in Scotland

Urban myth I'm afraid.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Well that picture was useful, thank you.....nice to see the pint of beer in Norway has come down more compared to the UK's having gone up. I remember when a pint of coke used to cost more than what the beer does now in Norway.....well done Norway.
You also have to remember......wages are much much higher in Norway....3x at least for those who work in the oil industry here. Our boys love working for the Norwegians and staying dry for their 3 week shift....they come back with pockets bulging with dosh.

Rainbows
Jane

Jane you really shouldn't lie

Norway is renowned for being very expensive it's something you can't really lie about tbh

The further North you go in the UK it is generally cheaper also, Scotland is way cheaper for nearly everything compared to nor ways raging expensive everything please don't lie

Pint in Scotland £2.80 £3.00
Pint on Norway €6.00 - €9.00

Sometimes I do worry about you jane
edit on 8-6-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

A true independent Scotland gets to call all the shots without influence of Westminster, and have only themselves to blame if anything goes wrong. I can understand the wish for it, although I would prefer a federal UK, as I like being able to think I can turn left or right at my beach then keep walking all round the island without leaving my country. Quite a long walk I'll admit lol

...I have no idea why Scots want an English monarch as their head of state though, or a £GBP controlled by the Bank of England, maybe some Scots here could enlighten us?

The Queen of England as head of state question...now lets look at a certain faction within Scotland...Yip, the Loyalist...we need to keep those poor wee paranoid delusional souls sweet and feeling secure for the time being.
Most of the UK never mind Scotland couldn't give a rats arse about the German inbreeds from Bucks Hoose.

As for the £GBP controlled by the BOE...it will just be a Temporary measure until we get everything up and running...Like Ireland did before they moved to the Punt in the early 20th Century.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

C'mon Solo, we've done the whole "Queen is a German" thing to death and it's pure tosh - she's no more a German than I am Irish.

Inbred, perhaps...

German, no...

But on to the wider point, the Queen is Monarch of the United Kingdom, which includes Scotland. Prior to the Act of Union, the Scottish throne and the English throne were held by the same person for a hundred years prior. The AoU bonded the two thrones into a single entity.

In the case of independence, the Scottish would revert back to having a separate throne of Scotland, which would be held by the same person - much like how the she is also Queen of Canada separately to being Queen of the UK, or Queen of Australia - they each have their own thrones, but held by the same person.

Interestingly, had all the realms where the Queen is Head of State not agreed to the change in succession law allowing females to inherit along the same lines as males, then had William + Kate had a baby girl, the thrones could have been inherited by different people upon the death of Charles. A moot point, I know, as they had a boy anyway...

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

You really should nae fash yersel' about me Triton

Prove where I'm lying please. I never anywhere said Norway was cheaper than the UK. I also pointed out that a pint of coke costs the equivalent of £7 in Norway = 8.50 euro.

I also pointed out the wage differential, wages are much much higher in Norway as is the cost of living.
You might want to re-read my statement.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel
I was referring to Scotland being the biggest importer of Buckfast Tonic Wine, not the percentage the drink holds in total overall alcohol sales.
www.independent.co.uk...

Its popularity there is remarkable, considering the product has never been marketed or advertised. In fact, so much of it is being imbibed in Coatbridge, a west of Scotland town with a population of just 40,000, that it is said that sales there account for 10 per cent of Buckfast's worldwide distribution. Scotland as a whole is estimated to account for 60 per cent.

So yes, for a medium sized industry in Devon, yes, it is a good thing, and the Scottish Bucky drinkers are unlikely to stop if a quid or so is added in import taxes.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Ah, I can see that now, hadn't really considered the unionist = royalist connection.
Transition time with currency seems the safest option as well, depending on the eventual deal between the nations of course.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I understand what you are saying, all I was doing was pointing out that Buckfast only accounts for 0.5% of all alcohol sales in Scotland. So if 60% of your sales equate to 0.5% total alcohol consumption in Scotland, it's not an awful lot is it? And maybe Buckfast should be looking further afield if they want to increase their sales. Rather like putting all your eggs in one teeny weeny basket in this case.

Rainbows
Jane

edit on 8-6-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

As a descendant of Scots I can only say...........

edit on 8-6-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
And maybe Buckfast should be looking further afield if they want to increase their sales. Rather like putting all your eggs in one teeny weeny basket in this case.

Agreed. The monks would be screwed if they lost the Scottish market.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join