It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish independence: Barack Obama backs 'strong and united' UK

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: alldaylong

From your link...

Recognising the distinction, a grassroots group from across Shetland and its island neighbours, Orkney and the Western Isles, have started a petition asking for a second vote, a week after the Scottish referendum.

It would give islanders the option of choosing their own independence, voting to be part of Scotland, or sticking with the United Kingdom.

(bolded part me)
Erm...they want a second vote a week after the main one to decide if they want to stay with Scotland or the UK.....erm.....uuhhhhh....isn't that what the referendum is all about? Or am I missing something?

As to the 67%....you might want to look at the map. You see it's complicated, it's called maritime law and english constitutional law and then you have scottish law.
Basically it stands like this....
Scotland currently has 90% of all UK oil and gas reserves within its territorial waters as defined by ....here you go...

The Continental Shelf Act 1964 and the Continental Shelf (Jurisdiction) Order 1968 defines the UK North Sea maritime area to the north of latitude 55 degrees north as being under the jurisdiction of Scots law[6] meaning that 90% of the UK's oil resources were under Scottish jurisdiction.[7][8] In addition, section 126 of the Scotland Act 1998 defines Scottish waters as the internal waters and territorial sea of the United Kingdom as are adjacent to Scotland.[9] This has been subsequently amended by the Scottish Adjacent Waters Boundary Order 1999 which redefined the extent of Scottish waters and Scottish fishery limits

Now, once/if Scotland gets Sovereign independence each of the Isles have their own territorial waters around them, which would still fall under Scottish law but with those little bye-laws if you will.
Now, you might want to check out this map...I'm hoping its big enough for you to see, but the territorial waters within the Scottish waters are clearly marked...and guess what....there's not an oil field within Shetlands waters...

I am happy to stand corrected if somebody can produce a map that would show Shetlands territorial waters extend into the oil fields.

Rainbows
Jane

Jane what are you trying to prove

Any fool can see Scotland's oil revenue is eclipsed by its educations bill alone

Let's not argue over pointless things

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Probably why Scottish highers do better against their A level counterparts. Maybe.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis
And probably why Scotland never nearly burnt itself to the ground a few years ago. Vote Yes to stop the flames from spreading any further.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
I'm curious, which 'burning to the ground' crisis do you mean, the banking crisis including the purchase/bailout of The Royal Bank of Scotland by UK taxpayers, or something else?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I'm not going to 2nd guess another poster but if it were, what is your point? They have threatened to move away from Scotland if we vote yes. They thought that was a threat but we would quite happily hand them over to London only to get bailed out again.

They should have failed and let the free market work.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
I'm not going to 2nd guess another poster but if it were, what is your point?

No 'point' to make, just curious about:

And probably why Scotland never nearly burnt itself to the ground a few years ago.

...I didn't know what that statement referred to, so I asked a succinct and concise question.
There is no need to add contrived value to my question.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It was just the RBS part I was addressing. I'll leave solar to answer his question as I didn't understand it myself.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4
Cool, no worries.

...I had first thought it could have referred to the fires of the London riots, but then thought banking crisis thing, burnt economy, blah. Economic/oil issues seem to end up being the mainstay of most independence threads.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
What did you expect, that he`s going to don a kilt and start campaigning for Scottish Independence?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I'm curious, which 'burning to the ground' crisis do you mean, the banking crisis including the purchase/bailout of The Royal Bank of Scotland by UK taxpayers, or something else?

well lets talk about the bail out of English banks if you want to head down the avenue. HBos, Lloyds etc...i was talking about the riots and well you know it.
Lets look at who was to blame for the Crisis in the first place, who allowed it to happen with piss poor regulation and management..oh that's right...Westminster, but for some reason it seem to have been twisted around so that the poor, unemployed, disabled and immigrants get the blame for it all....welcome to Better together.
No Thanks..

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
I really don't care if it's 60% or 90% it's irrelevant to me in this discussion and wasn't a topic we were discussing.

It makes a big difference - 60% or 90% especially considering that Salmond's whole campaign has been focussed on providing the promises he has made on the back of claims of "vast" oil wealth. If the Government says there is £120Bn left in the ground (not withstanding the fact reserves are rarely ever entirely extracted), if it is 60%, that makes the Scottish share a rather measly £72Bn.

Considering that the latest figures from the Scottish Government for 12/13 show a deficit of £12Bn (from a total spending of around £65Bn) and also estimates for the Scottish share of the national debt to be between £56-90Bn, doesn't make for particularly hopeful reading....

(EDITED to add: The figures above include a "geographic" share of revenue within them...)

OK i'll be honest it was a little condescending that post but that was off the back of my previous post where I thought you were insinuating that you were going to have to bail us out again, so a little condescension happened but apart from them my posts have been optimistic and not gotten worse until your euphemism. I enjoy the debate.

water + bridge =

edit on 7/6/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

HBOS, classic...

Clue's in the name.....

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

HBOS, classic...

Clue's in the name.....

Lloyds banking group...dont confuse HBOS, Halifax or BOS with anything to do with Scotland...only in name.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
You keep focusing on Salmon Stu...maybe you're forgetting the Labour, Green party and various other different party Politicians who also support independence... The yes campaign is run by Blair Jenkins not Alex Salmond or the SNP

link   

Apart from the fact it was based in Edinburgh and was called Bank of Scotland, employed many Scottish people and the Halifax portion of the bank being subsumed into the larger structure of BOS, including using the latter's banking license - no it had nothing to do with Scotland at all......

link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol...i was talking about the riots and well you know it.

No, I didn't.
I live on the south coast of Devon and the riots had as much relevance to us here as it did Scotland, pretty much # all.
That's why I couldn't see the link with arguments for or against Scottish independence, then guessed economic fire doom.
I couldn't care less about the 'banking crisis' to be honest, with a fiat currency it's all made of glass anyway, Scottish or British.
edit on 7-6-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

HBOS, classic...

Clue's in the name.....

Care to comment on the Videos i posted...you said you like to debate.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: Soloprotocol...i was talking about the riots and well you know it.

I couldn't care less about the 'banking crisis' to be honest, with a fiat currency it's all made of glass anyway, Scottish or British.

You couldn't care less that the banking crisis will effect you and your children's income for years to come..?
what chance do we have really.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Labour supports the No campaign - granted, I can find one MSP who supports independence, but he seems to cut a lonely figure.. I mention Salmond because he is and has been for a long time the face of the Independence push, sadly...

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Not really - as a rule I don't generally watch video's people post, I much prefer to read things and have facts, figures and opinions presented by the person I am debating with, rather than argue with them over someone else's opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join