It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traces of another world found on the Moon (BBC)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: korath

If the moon was once part of the earth, how come only the earth ended up with all the water, air, vegetation and life?

The Moon does not have enough gravity to hold an atmosphere. No atmosphere = no liquid water...or that other stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677
Maybe, but are you a scientist? I'm not either. My thgought is they know the ratio of elements and whatnot and it's unique to Earth. Maybe their estimates have t odo with Earth as it was 4.5 bl years ago.

Another thing: Is this Astronomy or Astrophysics? I looked on wiki and they're apparently used synonymously. I'm guessing Astronomy, but since they might be interchangeable, it's just my own judgement call.
edit on 6-6-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

My point is that the planet that struck the earth is an unknown entity. Therefore there is no way of knowing, except by the make-up of the moon, what the rogue planet was made of. If the make up of the moon matches the earth, who is to say with ANY certainty whatsoever what the make-up of the rogue planet in question was?

I get that they are aware of the composition of the earth, except that also it could have (and likely was) different to some degree 4 or 5 billion years ago.

I have a degree in geology, so I do know a bit about the subject.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

This is geophysics or geo/seleno/cosmochemistry. The news article in particular, that is.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Volcanos made the moon everyone knows that come on !

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Just got to finish Page 2 but I could do with some help here.

If the earth was hit by a 'Mars sized planet' and some of the debris that resulted ended up getting mixed with Earth debris and they all eventually joined together to form the Moon wouldn't at least minute traces of that planet be here on Earth?

And wouldn't such a body be captured by the Sun's gravitational pull and thus at least some remnant of it be present in the Solar System today?

I remember reading somewhere that there is another theory that the Moon was artificially placed in orbit around Earth and that there is something that can not be explained by sheer coincidence about its position around Earth.

I know I could be digressing and / or talking utter gibberish, could just do with a bit of clarification though.

Anyway, back to reading the rest of the thread which as always the case with Isaac Koi's threads is very interesting.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin
a reply to: IsaacKoi

I see the article mentions that a 'mars' sized planet is what collided.

Has anyone seen the giant scar across the surface of Mars?

You're thinking the same things I am. Also Mars' remnant from its collision is Deimos and Phobos, is it not? One of the theories is that they are remnants of a planetesimal after an impact of a large one with Mars and that's the source of the tremendous scar on Mars.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.nytimes.com...

So where's our scar? The biggest problem is that we've had an active environment over the last few billion years. Water, vegetation, erosion, and etc all play a factor in hiding Earth's scars. Without water and vegetation to pretty the girl up, Earth would be the super ugly sister of Mars. We look more like a bigger version of Phobos than Mars. Kind of funny really when you think about it:

Earth without her makeup: timeandnavigation.si.edu...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
CANARD POSTS☆ ส☆ ส☆ ส☆ ส☆ ส☆ ส☆
This is amazing, maybe moon rocks brought back from the 1970s contain trace amounts of DNA, this could be extracted on a wide scale
CANARD POSTS☆ ส☆ ส☆ ส☆ ส☆ ส☆ ส☆

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

I'm not sure whether to ignore this because the study is outdated, or what.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
There are two models on how this collision happened.

1. A small fast impactor.
2. A large slow impactor.

Credit: Kathleen Cantner, AGI

Earth and Theia probably formed at the same time and distance away from the sun, but eventually they collided:

Link

According to the latest data, half of the moon came from Theia and half from Earth, a 50:50 mixture.

Most models estimate that the Moon it is composed of around 70% to 90% material from Theia, with the remaining 10% to 30% coming from the early Earth. However, some models argue for as little as 8% Theia in the Moon. Dr Herwartz said that the new data indicate that a 50:50 mixture seems possible, but this needs to be confirmed.

Link

If this turns out to be true, it would favor the Canup Impact Model, where two large bodies slowly collided.

As to where Theia is now, half is beneath us and half in our moon.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedmoonMWC

Since a couple of you have mentioned Sitchin I thought these would add to the conversation.

as an over-all view then this

Just my .2 cents (adjusted for inflation)

What probably happened is that 2 planets formed close to the current orbit of the earth. They collided after a while. No planet out of the solar system came flying in. I've ran the simulations. Something that size hurling through the solar system would have completely messed up the orbits of the inner planets.
Edit: ^ Ionwind explains it well.
edit on 6-6-2014 by an0nThinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Pauligirl

the Sumerians were told this they didn't witness it

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

our scar? google earth and check out the Pacific basin. look around Indonesia and Australia, looks like an exit wound flapped back like that. looks like something hit it from the south pole which is how it was described 5 thousand years ago.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ionwind

why isn't the Moon spinning and/or wobbling if it formed out of an accretion disk of debris from the impact not very long ago? what accounts for it's stability? maybe the Moon belonged to the planet that hit Earth and was captured after the impact?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: an0nThinker

I think it would be 4 cents then wouldn't it?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
A minor problem - what of the ancient civilisations that lived on this planet 'in a time before there was a moon in the heavens'?

This impact would of made one hell of a bloody flood.

Oh, wait... brb.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I a reply to: Astr0

I do not believe there were civilizations 4.5 billion years ago......unless they were composed of intelligent amoeba...

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
I a reply to: Astr0

I do not believe there were civilizations 4.5 billion years ago......unless they were composed of intelligent amoeba...

Well then there is a wee problem, as the ancients Greeks actually had a name for these peoples, that lived 'before there was a moon in the heavens'.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
wow interesting ... Sumerians had the First thought of it ? Theia ???

Giant impact hypothesis
en.wikipedia.org...

Moon rocks hint at planet Theia that once crashed into Earth
Material from Mars-sized 'Theia' makes up half of moon, study suggests
www.cbc.ca...

Lunar Rocks Are First Direct Evidence of Collision That Formed Moon
Lunar samples from Apollo landings confirm a long-held theory
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Rogue Planet

The early solar system was a shooting gallery, Herwartz notes, with planets spun out of a disk of dusty material swirling around the young sun that occasionally smacked into each other. "I think that Theia and the proto-Earth formed in the same region of the protoplanetary disk, more or less from the same material," Herwartz says by email. He thinks roughly 30 to 50 percent of the moon might be Theia. If Theia was particularly enriched with the heavier kind of oxygen atom, an isotope called oxygen-17, then it might make up less than 30 percent of the moon, he adds. One outside alternative is that Theia and Earth were chemically identical, and that Earth was later hit by a comet or asteroid that carried a lot of water—proto-oceans—which rearranged Earth's oxygen chemistry. "This is possible, but unlikely," Herwartz says. "If this was the case, however, the material that was added to the Earth (after the formation of the Moon) must have been very exotic," he says. Meteorites with just such an exotic composition, he adds, must also have been rich in water.

Seeing we have 3 dwarf galaxy's looping around merging with the milky way as we speak a Possible Rouge planet?

as one scientist has said we are closer to the canis major galaxy then we are to the center our our own milkyway

Canis Major Overdensity
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanDash
Interesting that no-one is mentioning the giant elephant in the you-know-where...
Being - Sitchin said that such a collision was described in the ancient texts.
Correct, or not, I find it interesting.

Sitchin's the only person that can seem to interpret the writings this way. I like his theories they are exciting and the folks on the History channel do a great job of selling it, unfortunately none of them seem have the credentials to back that up.

www.youtube.com...

If you watch this, and it's stupid long I listened to it on a podcast player at work... it's difficult to believe anything coming from the History channel afterwards.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join