It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruce Scheiner MIT presentation re: NSA Surveillance (video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Here's a really good video of Bruce Schneier (a well known security technologist) speaking at M.I.T. in February 2014 discussing the NSA surveillance and what we can do about it. It's 54 minutes long, so try to watch it when you can. He speaks for about 39 minutes and takes audience questions the remainder of the time.

He discusses the NSA code names, some of how they inject, implant, and trick computers into giving up their identities. He also talks about how they are working with backbone providers, telecom providers, and other agencies/government. And of course, discusses things that we can do about the spying, especially bulk data collection and increased encryption (to name a few).

He also points out that this is largely a political problem BUT we are past the point where simple legal interventions can help.

He says the most fundamental and important issue for the information society to solve is how do we design system to benefit people as a whole while simultaneously protecting people individually?

Admins/Mods: I tried to search ATS to make sure it had not already been uploaded. If I missed it in my searches "Bruce Schneier," "NSA Surveillance," "Bruce Schneier MIT (and M.I.T.)," I apologize.
edit on 5-6-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

Giving it a watch.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is really good and worth watching. Not only very informational, but humorous!

Flag this up and get more views on it, people!

Thanks for posting, OP.

edit on 5728116pmThursdayf28Thu, 05 Jun 2014 23:28:57 -0500America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Very interesting address; I particularly like Schneier's closing words regarding how to respond to the argument that ubiquitous surveillance is a necessary, if unfortunate, 'cost' when considering it acts towards ensuring the nation's relative safety from future terrorist acts (such as those that occurred on 9/11):

"The counter argument to fear is indomitability... that we are stronger than this, that we are better than this, that we don't have to stoop to this kind of stuff. That we can respect our laws, our country, our liberties, our ideals, and still beat the bad guys. That we don't have to subvert everything we hold [dear] in order to beat them."

new topics

top topics

join