It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new concept for me - the INCH bag

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
BOB (bug out bag) is a concept well discussed in these and other forums. Containing 24-48 hours of tools and supplies - it contains the essentials and a relatively few comforts. Usually, the contents are designed to aid in your short journey to a safe place. Some people keep their BOB in their cars, so maybe that safe place is home.

Today while cruising other forums, I came across the INCH acronym (spoken in the same vane as BOB) and I had to look it up. What I found left my mind whirling...

INCH bag (I'm Never Coming Home)

The concept seems to be something quite a bit more involved than a BOB - BOB's big (and more serious) brother. It gives rise to the question - what is absolutely essential, what can I not live without, what can I leave behind forever. As the name implies, you're not going home again (maybe someday, but you're not planning for it). 1 or 2 days of rations won't cut it. There are so many more things to consider including, I can see it being more like a frame pack with things like cooking vessels and utensils, a saw, fishing/hunting/trapping supplies. Extra ammo and a cleaning kit if you're carrying a gun. Of course, everything would need to be stripped to bare minimum. Options increase with more people, but how much can I expect my 6 year old to carry when I suspect I'll be carrying him part of the time.

My wife and I have been working on a concept similar, but it doesn't fit into a bag. It's an enclosed trailer, pulled by our mid-sized 4x4 SUV. It's a good place for us to store our survival and camping gear when not in use, but I don't think it qualifies as an INCH bag because - well, it's not a bag. And we have to be prepared for limited range (full tank plus a few gas cans), because we can't rely on fuel availability. Our planned destination is reachable with one tank of gas, but what happens if that place is compromised or we are found? Eventually, the gas runs out. We'd be leaving on foot, and we'd still need the INCH bag(s).

The mind goes wild when thinking of such things. Do I pack birth certificates and other identification? What about titles and deeds if we ever do return?

What would your INCH bag contain?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: stutteringp0et

Ive thought about this a bit, but its hard to come up with a hard and fast list, as it would be different for every person.

The definites, in my opinion:
Passport/bc/other documentation
cash
gold/silver coins

after that, it becomes a bit more cloudy. Some people would say family photos, etc, but those, to me, would take up valuable space.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The BOB should have everything you already need as a INCH Bag. Weight is the big factor here though. A BOB can be anything from a small assault ruck to full sized. It depends a lot upon the resourcefulness of the individual.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

If you have an extra 40 grand lying around, consider one of these:

Conqueror Australia

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Those are some pretty cool campers. But unfortunately, they don't seem like they would last long (years wise) in the northern portions of North America. Southern North America and Mexico though they would definitely fit the bill.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

That's basically what we're trying to have. Of course, I think that's a bit excessive and has only one purpose. I can empty mine and it's useful for other things until SHTF. Mine is full of tents, sleeping bags, stoves, cooking stuff, fishing stuff and general camping/survival tools. I'm thinking of adding a fuel tank with a toolbox on top of the tongue and an extra spare tire for the truck. It's big enough to sleep several, I'm sure I could rig removable bunks so it could sleep more. Before anyone could sleep in it, I'll need to install a roof vent and rig an inside latch

40k seems a bit much - especially since it's a single purpose item. As I said above, I can use my enclosed trailer for more than just bug out.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

Those are some pretty cool campers. But unfortunately, they don't seem like they would last long (years wise) in the northern portions of North America. Southern North America and Mexico though they would definitely fit the bill.

I'll have to check the site again, but it seems like they would be insulated for the Oz outback/heat, which would provide insulation for the cold as well. I do think there is a bit too much fabric exposed. It would be nice if everything stowed under hard panels.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I don't see anyone surviving for an extended period on the contents of a BOB, which is why I started this thread. The idea as I understand it is that an INCH bag is for extended/indefinite survival.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Birth certificates, original social security cards, professional licenses and certificates, titles to property, wills (especially regarding custody of children).

Just in case you need to leave for ever, but the whole world has not collapsed.

I was a volunteer placing survivors of Katrina here in Texas. A portion of the survivors with good job skills had decided to move to Texas, due to the oil boom in 2005. Texas had a huge teacher shortage at that time, and I was surprised by the number of teachers from Louisiana who had the foresight to pack their college diplomas and teacher certificates even while fleeing a hurricane.

We didn't know how to deal with it at first. We were talking to survivors in terms of getting them back to the southlands; but they were talking about how to get an apartment and get their certs recognized in this state. Definitely they saw it as a huge opportunity.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
After captaintyinknots mentioned family photos, I started thinking about that. What about heirlooms? What about the extra guns that don't fit. I could probably carry all of my guns at once, but nothing else. I surely couldn't carry the ammo at the same time, so I'd be picking just a few.

Thinking forward about the guns, I surely don't want to be shot by my own guns or ammo that I abandoned when I bugged out, and I don't think I can just destroy them.

Family photos won't have value to anyone else, so leaving them is virtually ensuring that they'll be destroyed. In SHTF, storage facilities would be quickly looted - so secure storage would have to be off the grid as well.

I've been thinking about creating some stash tubes from commercial plumbing PVC. Filled partially with a dessicant, they could be easily filled with valuables, sealed/glued and buried. With a tractor and posthole digger, this would be quick work.

With valuables at least semi-secure, the focus could be turned to survival items.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stutteringp0et

I don't see anyone surviving for an extended period on the contents of a BOB, which is why I started this thread. The idea as I understand it is that an INCH bag is for extended/indefinite survival.

Some of us have SERE training. In such training, you don't even have a teeny-tiny BOB.

Your mind and the will to survive are your greatest weapon.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
We actually have been working on something like this in case of fire evacuation. This summer is promises to be pretty dangerous for fire around here and if we have to evacuate, there may not be a home to come home to.

Our "important papers" box (safe) is just one of the items we'll grab and throw in the truck should we get the order to evacuate. Everything is stored in one part of the house and inside, there's a list of other things to grab at the last minute. It's several large boxes. There's enough stuff in there to keep us and our dogs alive and safe for a couple weeks. Dehydrated food is the BEST!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I'd venture to say that most of us don't have SERE training. My survival includes my family. "Naked and Afraid" is a recipe for someone in my family to perish and that isn't acceptable.

With kids, first aid is a necessity. Shelter, food, protection - also necessary. I'm not saying that nobody can survive without having tools, but many will have severe difficulty without at least some preparations.

If you're only interested in saying that this isn't necessary or informing us how "bad ass" you are, then you have made your statement.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
It all depends on your interpretation of the BOB. We each have one, but I'm in your boat, we have two young boys the youngest is three. We have packed them to get out quick and have the basic needs for a few days. The boys bags have snacks and clothes and a small fleece each among other necessities. My husband's and my bag are loaded with what we might need indefinitely. We carry the tools and guns and ammo, the first aid kit that includes surgical items. I need the materials if someone ends up needing stitches for example. Our adult bags are packed as an INCH bag.

However, when we went through the threat of evacuation ourselves recently, I packed my car full of photos, heirlooms and keepsakes that could never be replaced. Every gun and ammo can in the house got loaded into the camper. I had an empty pantry because I wasn't leaving all of that food behind. My husband stopped me from bringing up an additional 300 home canned jars of food because there was no way it was fitting anywhere. Our camper is also set up to shelter us indefinitely.

Every situation is going to differ short of the apocalypse itself, and even then everyone will have different needs and means of taking care of them, its always a good idea to be able to walk out the door prepared on a moments notice. If we all continue to be aware then we will know what is needed in each moment. When that day comes and even in the local emergencies, I must say that I'm grateful for the bad asses who step up to help everyone else out.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with "Being Bad Ass". But it is a mindset that you must have in a extreme situation. I've seen guys who you would think were monsters break down after a couple of day and other who at first glance would think of as 99lb weakling pass the course with flying colors.

A SHTF event can take many different courses. Tornadoes, Wildfires, Hurricanes, or even WW3, etc, etc. That is how I attempt to prepare.

The BoB, the INCH bags are good...but if you aren't prepared mentally...they will do you no good in the long run.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

That's a better tone than I was reading from your earlier contributions. Not meant to offend, I intended this to be a constructive thread.

I was heavily into scouting as a kid/teen. Camping, hiking, primitive survival - I love it. My wife, however, is a car camper - there is barely enough room for people because of all the gear. I can't say that I don't enjoy car camping - but taking everything under the sun isn't an option in a SHTF scenario. Big and much is the order of the day when car camping - most of it will get left behind because it's just not possible to carry it all on foot.

In that scenario, there must be an on-foot plan. As I stated, I have a family to worry about - and others have indicated they have the same responsibilities. I'm prepared to do whatever it takes, and I have enough skills that I could survive without anything other than what I have in my pockets (fire, multitool) - but I'm not sure how well I could do feeding 4 mouths instead of just my own. How do I protect the things I don't want to lose, but can't take.

I posted an idea to hide valuables above (buried large diameter PVC)

Now, how to prepare 2 adults, 1 teen, and a 6 year old for extended hardship.

My basic thoughts are to have what I would bring on a week-long hike-in camping trip, with appropriate amounts to support my family (4 sleeping bags, 2 tents, 1 lantern, 1 set of modest cooking gear, skinners and a cleaver, family sized first-aid)

Utility:
axe, bowsaw, machette, tarp, ceramic water filter, backpacking shovel, multitool (gerber maybe, or leatherman), rope and paracord, ???

Hunting/Protection:
3 handguns, 1 rifle (I'm leaning toward .22 LR for everything so I only need to have one type of ammo and I will be able to carry a large amount)
small roll of bailing wire (for snares)
fishing kit
???

Barter items:
decent knife, pack of cigarettes, precious metals, ???

Food:
as much freeze dried we can carry

I'm considering bicycles for everyone, which would increase our carrying capacity while at the same time increasing travel distance. Problems with that are that we must bring tools, tube repair kits and spare tubes for the bikes.

Certainly, things can be "obtained" on the road - but that can't be relied on.

I'm hoping there are others that have opinions to bring to light other things that should be considered.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Well, let's face facts. You can't prepare for a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI event. It'll always take you unawares. So all you can do is the best that you can do. Know what I mean?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I'm not sure that really applies to me. As a programmer that works from a home office, with kids that go to schools less than 10 miles from home and a stay-at-home wife, I'm able to prep for exit quickly. I'll have more time than most to react.

My goal is simple - my family survives. The most important lesson the Boy Scouts taught me was in the motto - Be Prepared. Anyone who can follow the oath through a SHTF scenario will probably be a better man than me, but it will be the man who best observes the motto who survives.

Nobody will be fully prepared for all contingencies, I'm aware of this and I embrace it. I can attempt to prepare for the contingencies I can imagine.

Currently, I hope that my town can overcome lawlessness. With livestock and food storage, I'd much rather bug-in than bug-out or leave forever. If I must leave for (presumably) ever, I'd like to prepare as best I can.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Think will be alot of corpses with loads of things strapped to them laying around ..

Keep it to a minumum of only what is absolutely necessary .. no need to carry tons of fancy toys that wont last long in the field ..

Travel light move fast .. you can always pick things up along the way from the corpses loaded down with everything they thought they needed ..

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Shelter, food, ability to prepare food, long gun, hand gun, Fighting knife, utility knife, hatchet water purification.. Maps of where you are and where your going, and a flashlight with inter changeable lenses never hurts, and of course a compass.

That's whats in my BoB and you could call it an INCH bag, because I can hoof it from where I live to my bug out location and live there for a decent period of time.

Enjoyed my time in SERE school... wish I could have gone again... but those days are long behind me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join