It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of Eternal Damnation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Welcome to Burger King...today, we have on special the Almighty Creator with benevolence, love, mercy, and righteous anger. That comes with a side of blissful afterlife and an extra large trophy for all worthy believers, all for the price of one immortal soul. May I take your order?

No one created God, but everyone apparently owns him. No one can prove him, but everyone wants something from him. He has no boundaries and no limitations, but everyone is full of ideas regarding what he should and shouldn't do. Make up your bleedin' minds.
edit on 5-6-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think a lot of folks who wrestle around with these heavy theological concepts just need to take a walk in the woods.
That's all it takes.
Spend a couple hours with nature and God will gently tap you on the noggin, if not gently slap you in the face!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
I think a lot of folks who wrestle around with these heavy theological concepts just need to take a walk in the woods.
That's all it takes.
Spend a couple hours with nature and God will gently tap you on the noggin, if not gently slap you in the face!

In which case, "God" is just a glorified umbrella term for warm and fuzzy feelings.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: tallcool1
if Lucifer is so completely evil, and God is so pure that the slightest bit of naughty can't be in His presence... why do the two of them chat away like old pals in the book of Job?

Because the Book of Job isn't all true. It's just a story. The Book of Job is around to try to explain suffering like the creation myths are around to try to explain creation. All that God/Devil having chats stuff is made up.

I believe I'm going to have to agree with that. This is true with a great many passages/books in the Bible. There are a several stories in there that are just that - stories. They are meant to illustrate an idea or belief. Jesus Himself was quite fond of telling parables to His followers in order to help them to understand the concepts He was trying to teach them. These parables weren't things that actually happened - just tales to convey ideas.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Skyfloating

Actually the bible does teach an eternal, conscious suffering. Revelation 20:10-15 states...

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever. 11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

The only way to ensure that your name is written in the book of life mentioned in verse 12 above is to believe on the LORD Jesus Christ, and the work that He did on the cross so that those who do believe on Him will be saved from verse 14 mentioned above. You can choose to believe this or not, and your decision to not believe doesn't make this any less true. Saying that someone, no matter how bad they are, doesn't deserve eternal punishment is your imperfect, unholy, human opinion. In Isaiah 55:6-11 states...

Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call on him while he is near.
7 Let the wicked forsake their ways
and the unrighteous their thoughts.
Let them turn to the Lord, and he will have mercy on them,
and to our God, for he will freely pardon.
8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.
9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

10 As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusSubprime

That's sickening. That's just disgusting.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity

That's Revelation ... and it's metaphorical and it's highly questionable if it means anything at all. It wasn't even accepted by most of the church until something like 500 years after it was written. And all the early church fathers rejected it. It has nothing to do with salvation. And no one really knows what, if anything, it means.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

That's Revelation ... and it's metaphorical and it's highly questionable if it means anything at all. It wasn't even accepted by most of the church until something like 500 years after it was written. And all the early church fathers rejected it. It has nothing to do with salvation. And no one really knows what, if anything, it means.

No one cares what it means. They just care what they can make it sound like. That's the whole point of "interpretation".

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

That's the very reason that God loves us enough to send people back to warn us about it.

He knows just exactly how disgusting it is.

Atheist Ian McCormack - Dead on morgue slab

Atheist professor - Howard Storm

Atheist Physician - Dr Donald Whitaker

Ronald Reagan - A former atheist went to hell...

George Rodonaia

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

That's all it takes.

In which case, "God" is just a glorified umbrella term for warm and fuzzy feelings.

When I go out walking in the wilderness, I feel a connection to something that seems eternal, or cosmic. God, I sound like a hippy.
Something A LOT more than just a warm fuzzy feeling.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

No, I was talking about the god who would do such a thing. Absolutely sickening. If it's broken, then don't make it. What was it Sol Hadden said?

"You see, the religious people -- most of them -- really think this planet is an experiment. That's what their beliefs come down to. Some god or other is always fixing and poking, messing around with tradesmen's wives, giving tablets on mountains, commanding you to mutilate your children, telling people what words they can say and what words they can't say, making people feel guilty about enjoying themselves, and like that. Why can't the gods leave well enough alone? All this intervention speaks of incompetence. If God didn't want Lot's wife to look back, why didn't he make her obedient, so she'd do what her husband told her? Or if he hadn't made Lot such a #head, maybe she would've listened to him more. If God is omnipotent and omniscient, why didn't he start the universe out in the first place so it would come out the way he wants? Why's he constantly repairing and complaining? No, there's one thing the Bible makes clear: The biblical God is a sloppy manufacturer. He's not good at design, he's not good at execution. He'd be out of business if there was any competition." - Sol Hadden

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

That's all it takes.

When I go out walking in the wilderness, I feel a connection to something that seems eternal, or cosmic. God, I sound like a hippy.
Something A LOT more than just a warm fuzzy feeling.

But that's still just chemicals in your brain. It might mean more to you, but is it more?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Is it because it's all Christian-y, or do you think that it's not possible to # up that badly and lose that hard?

I'm really interested in your visceral reaction to that; not being a dick, just really interested in why that shocks you as it does.

edit on 5-6-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

Is it because it's all Christian-y, or do you think that it's not possible to # up that badly and lose that hard?

I'm really interested in your visceral reaction to that; not being a dick, just really interested in why that shocks you as it does.

He's omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. He knows everything, he sees everything, he designed everything. He's the ultimate master. There is no authority in any matter higher than him. This is what we are told.

With that in mind, yes, I have a very very difficult time believing that he could f*** up that hard, that fast. I have a very very hard time believing that he could not have avoided creating sin to begin with. Clearly, in the beginning, every sin happened when he wasn't around. Where the hell was he? I have a very very hard time believing that Adam and Eve were able to reach that tree and procure that fruit purely by accident. I have a very very hard time believing that Satan just managed to get into that garden. I have a very very hard time believing that he had no choice but to create Satan and Lucifer and all the evil stuff that he allows to plague us even to this day. I have a very very hard time believing it took allowing his own son to be murdered in order to fix his mistakes. I have a very very hard time believing that he went through all this and still has a lake of fire in reserve for the final judgment day. I have a very very hard time believing that he didn't nail his perfect universe in the first shot, instead of taking a few thousand years to handpick every sinner he would roast in his lava pool and every believer he would personally welcome to his kingdom, and leaving everyone else to suffer beneath the shadows of his wayward creations.

Yeah...God is either a complete moron, or has ulterior motives. Very ulterior motives.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Can it be Proven? I do Like the part where all must Hide when Christ Returns. I ask myself WHY?

Since it would be the Best Show on Earth, who other then Yourself can say Your Doomed? If you gave it your best during your Life, corrected what you might have done wrong, repay what you think is right and do what you think is Good. Should you at least Stand Up?

I can not speak for anybody else so when the Time does come. Please join me, BYOB lol and Stand Tall! What's the Worst that can happen? Better then wondering while in a cave if your gonna Make It out alive, fight off zombies, and end up playing with the Devil.

What kind of God would do this Anyway, unless you have it coming. Although if you do not know this, hiding in a cave, bunker or whatever really would not do any good. One should really Know Thyself and correct what needs corecting!

Peace

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Most dogma followed by religions is bs. God may or may not exist. Past that point everything else is hogwash.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

In accordance with The Book Of Revelation!!!

& more, such as...
He/She who is without Sin, cast the first stone!!!
Or...
Judge not, lest ye be Judged!!!

So...

I mean lets take Hitler for example. I can see how punishing him for a hundred years might seem reasonable and an opportunity to "learn the lesson" or as a deterrent.

...More than likely... Mr.Hitler returned to Hell On Earth... As a Jew...

Wrap your heads around that one

Peace everybody!!!
Peace SkyFloating!!!
& Judge not, lest ye be Judged!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

With that in mind, yes, I have a very very difficult time believing that he could f*** up that hard, that fast.

I meant us, or 'people'.

Thanks for your kind reply. I gotta jet for a couple of hours but I'll be back. Sorry about that.

BRB.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

With that in mind, yes, I have a very very difficult time believing that he could f*** up that hard, that fast.

I meant us, or 'people'.

Thanks for your kind reply. I gotta jet for a couple of hours but I'll be back. Sorry about that.

BRB.

Oh! You mean, screw up so badly that we deserve to burn forever?

Listen, you don't teach a dog to stop biting by hitting it over and over again with a stick. Do you think burning a sinner is really going to do anything for anybody? Either the sinner is going to learn, or he/she isn't. Either way, chucking him/her into a lake of fire is a total waste of time and purely a demonstration of dominance. It's not a solution, it's an act of cruelty. Like throwing a slug in a plate of salt. There's no excuse for that. Either heal or terminate. Don't prolong the suffering.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Just one thing I think I need to mention...

It's a self-inflicted punishment...whatever it is...It's self-inflicted....

We all do it, or at the very least I can say that I do it for sure. I've made mistakes in my life and those mistakes always come with consequences...or what some would call "punishment"....

As for whether we face the consequences of our actions for an eternity or not...Well, that's not for me to decide...I just know that I want to do things right...here and now...so that I don't have to worry about the consequences...You know what I mean?

You reap what you sow. That much is certain.

A2D

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join