It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me understand why people need assault rifles to protect themselves

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

Use what works for you/what you are used to using.

Exactly. That's been my mantra for 2 decades. I was trained on the A2, which I hated but that's a different conversation. The familiarity with the platform combined with my ability to do all armoring maintenance or a rebuild from scratch makes it a set up that I'm extremely comfortable with personally and I know if I'm not home and my wife has to utilize force against intruders then she won't get knocked on her ass by the 12 gauge while standing at the top of the stairs. If I'm using a weapons platform I'm proficient in then I'm going to be more accurate, waste less ammo and have a decreased liklihood of a stray round causing damage or casualty that I had not intended. Whereas if I'm using a weapon I'm less familiar with all the above reverses itself.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
there is no help for people who think i do not need an assault rifle.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
Explain to me why any modern sporting rifle would have semi-automatic capabilities....I think that really defeats the purpose of sport...

Not all sporting purposes involve hunting. Many of them end up as glorified range toys, which is a perfectly valid purpose as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless, given that there have been tens of millions of semi-automatic rifles and shotguns purpose built for hunting over the last several decades (in fact, the first mass produced semi-auto shotgun hit the market over 100 years ago), the evidence suggests that a significant percentage of hunters do not agree with your assessment of the usefulness of a semi-automatic.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

I also know plenty of people in the online shooting community that shoot .223 out of both bolt and semi (mostly the ar platform) to hunt anything from coyotes to prairie dogs. Mostly when they're doing that, it's to protect their farm or ranch/property. You can get a couple of the little critters at a time with a semi, and it's a solid, reliable (at this point), and convenient, platform, so they use that.

Personally, I just go to the range and have some fun. Plus, sh!t ever hits the fan I'm set.

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
For the same reason someone buys a 500+ hp convertible, or a computer that is far overpowered for any current application, or a house that is much larger than they actually need.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Rights are not about "need".
Rights are about what I consider to be the best way of exercising them.
My handguns are to protect me and my family from the average scum, my rifle is for defending my liberty from government scum that seek to take it away. My right is to have "every terrible weapon of the battlefield" that I can bare. I carry a responsibility with that right to use it in a manner that does not infringe on the innocent.

The other reason is because I am a man and an adult and thats all the reason I have to give.

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join