It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me understand why people need assault rifles to protect themselves

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
my old boss once told me to not bring him problems, but bring him solutions!

www.youtube.com...

See if this will fit the problem...

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Touchy subject
I don't agree with needing such weapons. I do however think a person has every right to do what they see fit to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Do you have smoke detectors in your home? Do you have a fire extinguisher? Please explain why you have these items. Because they are mandated by law? Would you have them in your house if they weren't?

Do you have just one quiet little smoke alarm down the hall or a really loud on in every bedroom and a couple more in other parts of the house?

I am betting you hope you never have to use your fire extinguisher, or have your smoke alarms go off for a legitimate reason at 3am, but I think you probably sleep better knowing you have them.

Hey, I don't see the need for so many loud smoke alarms in your home, but it's your choice to have them to protect your loved ones.

Shall I go on?

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

So, which rifle do you believe is the one I , and every other US citizen should be able to own?

or

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

They are both the same!!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf
One looks more scary to people who don't know guns.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Because the second amendment says I can.
Our forefathers knew that the government would one day be overrun with corrupt nuts and this is their gift to us so that we could protect ourselves. Trust me, if SHTF, you will need one.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moelson
I have always wondered this myself! I think it's an insecurity thing. They're paranoid and lack self confidence.
Why does a man who never hunts or drives bush roads or goes bogging jack his truck up 12" and put 44" tires on it?! Cause his dick is little and he feels like it will impress his friends and women.
Who really knows, I personally find it pathetic. Like taking a knife to a fist fight. Buy a weapon you can use in multiple situations. Not one meant for mowing down whatever f'n "war" you feel is coming your way. It looks cowardly.
I hunt. I own 3 rifles and only one is semiautomatic. I can put one between someone's eyes anywhere from point blank to 300yards. I am confident in my abilities so therefore I don't need an automatic weapon. Because when this "war" ever comes to my doorstep. I won't be home, I'll be where I can't be seen gaining the upper hand. I also know 300+ men with the same mentality who are more than capable of the same.
I'm sure I'll get bashed, but, those who may on make their insecurity more prevalent.
Simply, my opinion. You Americans confuse me!

Ah, the typical small dick comment followed with he-man chest thumping. You need to find an original argument.

Ar-15 style rifles are much more versatile than what you own. With a simple upper change, you can take any game on the North American continent. The .223 round is good for everything from plinking and target shooting to varmint hunting. No civilian AR is automatic (save for very rare and very expensive NFA items) so I don't even know why you brought that up.

There is nothing "cowardly" about using the most practical tool for the job and there is nothing "cowardly" about wanting to outgun criminals and those seeking to do you harm. There are no Queensbury rules in real life.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf
a reply to: macman

They are both the same!!

You kind of killed the whole point I was driving at.
Basically as I was telling a joke, half way in you told everyone the punchline.

But, yes. They are both the same.

And morons will tell us that the pistol grip and front grip make it an assault weapon.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
What is so odd is the fact that the anti gun crowd is forcing us to not own guns and we are not telling them that they must own a gun as our founding fathers told us to do.

They said that we are all members of the militia and everyone of us are to be ready with enough weapons and ammo to answer the call to arms to protect the country from all enemies of our US constitutional way of life.

No army on this earth could sustain an occupation of the USA if we were all armed to the teeth...

A standing army is dangerous to a free people because it could be use by a corrupt government to take away our freedoms as enumerated in the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights.

What is so damn hard to understand about that?

Were the anti gun liberals born stupid fools or have they been indoctrinated to be that way by our outhouse based education system?

It's been like trying to explain ourselves to crazy people.

My wife said to stop trying to be the jackass whisperer.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

I honestly think it is because they are lacking in some other area in their life.

Either lacking self confidence, love, the ability to logically asses their level of danger, or compensating for not feeling manly enough...something is lacking in their life to make it so they think they need huge guns to be complete. Those that need the bigger and bigger guns are the ones that just scream insecurity to me.

At the core of it, I honestly don't think there is any other explanation.

Note: This doesn't apply to someone wanting one single hand gun or shotgun for home protection, or someone who is a hunter and guns are part of their sport...I'm talking about the people who have multiple military type of weapons, who own small arsenals, and who think without their precious guns they will be killed immediately.

Very illogical. People collect various things they are interested in without it being a sign of pathology. Methinks you are projecting your own fears and insecurities onto your fellow man.

Besides, who cares if someone has an "arsenal?" He or she can only use one at a time.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
a reply to: spirited75

So you figure having a gun show AR-15 strikes fear and brings a moment of pause to Senate Majority Leader Reid, House Speaker Boehner or President Obama?

Somehow ..I really don't think the Government cares if we have assault rifles or full blown Mini-guns. Not in THAT sense, to change anything they are doing in the least because of it. Certainly not to have a moment of pause for the firepower citizens have. After all.... We can have an M1 Main battle Tank ..and it won't change much.

What that would do is make one of US feel real special and incredibly self important until someone tried to USE it for something foolish ....to find Uncle has one too. In fact...hundreds of them...and could probably have a dozen or so diverted to help take the one from a citizen who couldn't avoid abusing it.

Of course they find an armed citizenry uncomfortable and need to disarm them to consolidate power. From Iraq to Vietnam to Hungary to Cuba to Angola to France--history has shown us that armed citizens can make anyone in power uncomfortable. They might not always win, but at least there is a chance.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: applesthateatpeople

Simple.

The bigger the coward, the bigger the gun.

LOL. Only a true coward would see to remove his ability to defend himself and his. A coward abrogates his duty and relies only on 911. I guess the cops are cowards as well as the President of the US.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
What so many don't understand is many people who hunt have 30-06, 7mm and several other rifles which are much more powerful then there evil .223 "assault" rifles.

LOL. I also find that funny--ignorant people going on about "high power assault rifles" when grandpa's deer rifle is much more powerful and deadly and at a much longer range. Remember JFK and MLK were killed with bolt action rifles. Of course, these will be next, they will then label them "assassin sniper weapons" and the same political drumbeats will follow.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Hey Doc,
Was is not a doctor at fort Hood that murdered unarmed people at will.
If I remember right the right to keep a bare arms on that base was disallowed to all but the security personnel.
I question anyone that tells me to trust them if they reserve the right of self protection for themselves and at the same time tell me to disarm.

Not as paranoid as the shrink that murdered all those good people.

Evil people are not as stupid as most folks believe as they tend to attack the weak and unarmed.

You have to ask yourself why our fearless leaders are afraid of us civilians having weapons?

Take three guesses and look up their sleeves.

Registration, Confiscation, and then Demicide!

Be afraid...be very AFRAID!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Bottom line:

Cities are kill/crime zones, bush country not so much.

If you live in the city, guns are for the purpose of killing people (thus pretty much anything will do) with the need for multiple shots.

If you live in the country, they're for the purpose of hunting and/or to take down a charging pissed off animal with less need for multiple shots (you'll only have one moose coming at you, not four).

Here in the country, a simple 12 gauge 3 inch magnum (or 2-3/4 inch) buckshot or slug will remedy a charging moose on your property right quick. A so-called "big bad" AK is about as useful as a butterknife against these big boys.

Moose are the more worrisome animal, they're known for their tempers and extreme territorial tendencies - they'll charge at you just because they damn well feel like it, males in particular.

Bears on the other hand, prefer to mind their own business if they can and focus predominantly on filling their bellies above anything else - but never underestimate what one might do, females with cubs in particular.

Summary:

City: lightweight, multiple shots

A moose bit my sister once...

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: waltwillis

When I was in the Navy I was part of the axillary security force, in other words a glorified gate guard. I did this as a 'collateral' duty because my avionics shop was over manned. This was during the same time frame as Fort Hood. No one was allowed to bring weapons on base without approval(exception of course for special agents, US Customs, ect.). That was the policy before Fort Hood. When I had to go check IDs at the gate, I would pick up my gun and ammo at the Armory and drop it off when the watch was over.....

The Fort Hood shooter was a psychiatrist, not the same thing as a medical doctor.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: waltwillis
a reply to: NavyDoc

Hey Doc,
Was is not a doctor at fort Hood that murdered unarmed people at will.
If I remember right the right to keep a bare arms on that base was disallowed to all but the security personnel.
I question anyone that tells me to trust them if they reserve the right of self protection for themselves and at the same time tell me to disarm.

Not as paranoid as the shrink that murdered all those good people.

Evil people are not as stupid as most folks believe as they tend to attack the weak and unarmed.

You have to ask yourself why our fearless leaders are afraid of us civilians having weapons?

Take three guesses and look up their sleeves.

Registration, Confiscation, and then Demicide!

Be afraid...be very AFRAID!

Well, yep. You find that almost all of the "mass shootings" are in gun free zones.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
And morons will tell us that the pistol grip and front grip make it an assault weapon.

Yep. Hell, just look at that stupid AWB proposal last year from Feinstein. That's exactly what they did, both explicitly banning AND allowing that very rifle depending upon its cosmetic features even though the base functionality was identical. Idiots.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TuEsIncredibiliterStultus

I remember seeing a mini-gun for sale for like 350 grand a few years ago. lol

My brother goes to the machine gun and cannon shoot in Casper, WY every year (he lives there). They normally have 2 miniguns there that attendees can shoot, for a price (BIG price) of course, along with a gatling gun, myriad m-60s etc.

Northern Rockies Machinegun and Cannon Shoot

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Bottom line:

Cities are kill/crime zones, bush country not so much.

If you live in the city, guns are for the purpose of killing people (thus pretty much anything will do) with the need for multiple shots.

If you live in the country, they're for the purpose of hunting and/or to take down a charging pissed off animal with less need for multiple shots (you'll only have one moose coming at you, not four).

Here in the country, a simple 12 gauge 3 inch magnum (or 2-3/4 inch) buckshot or slug will remedy a charging moose on your property right quick. A so-called "big bad" AK is about as useful as a butterknife against these big boys.

Moose are the more worrisome animal, they're known for their tempers and extreme territorial tendencies - they'll charge at you just because they damn well feel like it, males in particular.

Bears on the other hand, prefer to mind their own business if they can and focus predominantly on filling their bellies above anything else - but never underestimate what one might do, females with cubs in particular.

Summary:

City: lightweight, multiple shots

A moose bit my sister once...

Careful! You'll get sacked!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join