It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: India to Begin Trials of HIV Vaccine on Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
India home to the second biggest population of HIV infected humans is set to begin human testing of an AIDS vaccine. There are currently 5.1 million people infected in India, and that number could increase 4 times by 2010. The vaccine targets the “C” sub type as it is the most common in India.

story.news.yahoo.com
BOMBAY, India (Reuters) - India, home to the world's second largest HIV population after South Africa, is set to begin human trials of a new vaccine against the virus in January, a research institute said Tuesday.

The country has over 5.1 million people living with HIV/AIDS and experts saying the number could quadruple by 2010.

Human trials of vaccines against different strains of the virus are already being conducted in the United States, Europe, Africa and South America. The Indian trial will focus on sub-type C of the virus, the most common in the country. "It will be the first test in India of a HIV vaccine on humans," said Ramesh Paranjape, a deputy director of the National AIDS Research Institute (NARI) based in Pune, around 100 miles south of Bombay.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As the article points out this is a critical test. An relatively inexpensive vaccine could halt the rapid spread of the disease especially in the third world. The current HIV cocktails are prohibitively expensive for most country and thus are not an option. However a vaccine could change all of that. I wish the best for those who are trailing the new vaccine and hopefully it points us in the right direction

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I am happy that finally after years of US pharmaceuticals control of drugs and research countries like Indian, Brazil and others can now have their own drugs and do research and trials.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I am happy that finally after years of US pharmaceuticals control of drugs and research countries like Indian, Brazil and others can now have their own drugs and do research and trials.

Actually came by an article that I will try to put up tonight. Brazil is mulling breaing AIDS drugs patents and producing it themselves. I have mixed feeling since you and I foot the bill for all that.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I will like to see the article, and your are right is more to the wait that these coutries has to go through because to much US red tape.

US pharmaceuticals wants control.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This should help out a LOT of people...when I think AIDS, I don't think India, but I guess it is a major problem for them since they are so overpopulated. And kudos to them for working as diligently as we are on a vaccine.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Let us hear it for India....come on clap for godsake.

And Hawkss was complaining we don't care for people.

Surf

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I will like to see the article, and your are right is more to the wait that these coutries has to go through because to much US red tape.

US pharmaceuticals wants control.

I try to put it up in a bit. Its not about controll its about money. For better or for worse, these companies are for profit entities that are responsable to thier shareholders (I myself own Pfizer stock) as well as most of us invest in Pharma via our 401K mutual funds. We have to find a balance.

top topics

join