It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The missing arctic glaciers on google earth. What else might they be hiding?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I have been extremely interested in trying to figure out why google earth feels the need to "white out" glaciers as they melt away to nothing, and it has me thinking...
With the amount of resources still undiscovered in the far north and the amount of political tension these days, it makes me wonder what this tension may actually be centered around. The far north becoming ice free basically opens the door for industries and corporations from around the world to tap into a new source of assets with pretty astounding potential. Here's the catch, Russia really wants a piece of that action and they are gearing up to fight for it.

As polar ice melts away, rising temperatures are unlocking oil, trade routes and the potential for conflict in the Far North.

“It’s the opening chapter of what’s going to amount to be a very long story, and people are playing nice and working together — for now,” says Robert Huebert, a University of Calgary professor and expert in circumpolar relations and defence policy.

“This is going to cause a pushback on the side of the Russians, in the Arctic region specifically,” Huebert says. “It contains two of the most powerful states in the international system that are increasingly having different interests.”
Metro News

As the U.S. and E.U. keep a very close eye on the situation with Russia and Ukraine, Russia is also increasing its presence and influence elsewhere: the Arctic – a melting region that is opening up prime shipping lanes and real estate with an estimated $1 trillion in hydrocarbons. With the opening of two major shipping routes, the North Sea route and the Northwest Passage, the potential for economic competition is fierce, especially among the eight members of the Arctic council: Canada, Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Russia, and the United States.
Foreig n policy journal

Canada is severely unprepared for a conflict in the arctic or anywhere in the country that's not close to the US, at least as far as the public is concerned. I have a feeling that part of the whiting out of the arctic has to do with this issue and the fact that all of the countries listed above are preparing for what most likely will turn into an ugly conflict before 2050. My thought is that these areas on google earth are actually covering up military expansion on behalf of all parties.
(will add more later, I have to sleep soon)

edit on 5-6-2014 by HiMyNameIsCal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
You can't use Google Earth for anything but an representation of what it might look like as everything there is heavily edited to fit, it isn't hidden editing it's just needed to show more ground than for example ice, so pretty much all waterborne ice has been removed to show coastline instead.

That type of editing is everywhere on Google Earth, so if you see the real satellite footage it looks way different.
edit on 5-6-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: HiMyNameIsCal

I thank you for opening my eyes to the potential trade route there. My first thought is that surely that will have an impact on the remaining ice and of course, the habitats of creatures that remain, so far, untouched by man...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Just a thought i am pretty sure russia, denmark, canada and the rest do not need google maps to get a picture of that part. I am pretty sure they got very detailed maps of the area. Maybe there is another reason. Like keep the people of the world happily unaware about the situation that the ice is melting and global warming is a myth. Just saying

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye
Yes that makes sense to me. But I still cant shake the feeling that there is more behind it than just that.
Areas like this contain mountains and land that I don't think would be that hard to represent in a more realistic manner.

Not sure why I'm just suspicious. Maybe it is just because of all the high arctic training I keep hearing about.

Exercise SABRE GLACE (Ex SG), which was conducted from March 20 to 30, 2014, in Resolute Bay, the second northernmost village in Canada, turned out to be quite an adventure. It was the first time a sub-unit had had the opportunity to deploy to the new Canadian Armed Forces Training Centre in the High Arctic.
Ottawa Citizen
(I am aware that this training was not conducted in the area in the picture above)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Most likely correct, there were substantial cold war asset's in the area but the melting of the ice makes a large percentage of the systems then in place now redundant and no longer suitable and of course most of it was scaled back with the reduced tensions of the intercold war period but now with the new cold war starting to heat up those assets are in dire need of serious update and reimplementation.
This may turn into a region of severe conflict as you have estimated and the implications may be far reaching especially since we will also see china trying to nose in now that Russia has brought them on board and the view they are not that serious a threat at sea as yet is a mistake.
It may be that the old addage of the best defence is a good offence is the only option in this case and perhaps tactically mining the waters with modern mines which can be activated to close off access to areas or deny area of operational capability to others may be the only viable option as well as a new sosus net which need's to be put in place in order to safeguard the valid claims of each country against there rivals and maintain a rigid peace by preventing exploitation of contested area's.
On behalf of the planet though I genuinely believe any nation attempting to exploit arctic oil reserves when they can not control any spillages is commiting a grand ecological crime against the other nations of this world as the arctic has eco system importance to food chains and ocean diversity world wide.

edit on 5-6-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Could it be possible that they Made global worming
just to get at the north and south poles?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
i'm fairly sure that google earth is, to some degree, bound by international secrecy/security issues regarding imagery of certain geographical areas.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

This may turn into a region of severe conflict as you have estimated and the implications may be far reaching especially since we will also see china trying to nose in now that Russia has brought them on board and the view they are not that serious a threat at sea as yet is a mistake. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yep and there is info to back that statement up as well.

A new and fairly in-depth study of what Chinese academics, government personnel and media commentators are publishing in Chinese about the Arctic and Canada's sovereignty over the Canadian Arctic Archipelago shows that China is now the latest major country to be annoyed with Canada over the Northwest Passage.
canada.com
It is a pretty old article but it shows that the interest has been there for that long at least

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye
I'm kind of thinking it might be because of the discrepancies in different country's views on arctic policy (vice news) But if you are correct, then why do they not just let you view chunks of actual image rather than a blurry pixelated white blob?
Just like they are doing with Svalbard, Norway. But in the other places as well.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

I thank you for opening my eyes to the potential trade route there. My first thought is that surely that will have an impact on the remaining ice and of course, the habitats of creatures that remain, so far, untouched by man...

This is not just about the money, they are also hiding how bad climate change really is. They don't want the populous to know how bad it really is. It is not the military they are hiding but exploratory drilling rigs lol.

Here is the real rub, we have already reached the point of no return regarding carbon in the atmosphere. At the same time we have record reserves of oil, gas, and coal. Yet, at a time when we must change to eco friendly forms of energy we are seeking more. And China and India are pumping out so much you you can cross the country by train and never see the sun.

Most all of us have kids and grandchildren, we really should care and want to change and stop this from happening.

The Bot

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Or......

maybe they are hiding that the glaciers aren't all melting as claimed? To be fair, we have to consider that possibility as well, right?

It's also possible that some sort of base is in the area, that they don't have permission to post.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: HiMyNameIsCal--->Just like they are doing with Svalbard, Norway.

I've been there fairly recently, and there's no more ice and snow missing than normal at this time of year.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dlbott

originally posted by: djz3ro

This is not just about the money, they are also hiding how bad climate change really is. They don't want the populous to know how bad it really is. It is not the military they are hiding but exploratory drilling rigs lol.

Here is the real rub, we have already reached the point of no return regarding carbon in the atmosphere. At the same time we have record reserves of oil, gas, and coal. Yet, at a time when we must change to eco friendly forms of energy we are seeking more. And China and India are pumping out so much you you can cross the country by train and never see the sun.

Most all of us have kids and grandchildren, we really should care and want to change and stop this from happening.

The Bot

What makes you think we can make climate change "stop happening"? Nothing stopped it from happening all the other times it has happened in earths history....Oh wait....You think we're causing it!!! lol

Who cause it every time it happened before there we're humans around? Who is causing the climate change that's happening on Mars right now?

Climate change is very real but I wish people could just understand that it's not our doing NOR can we change it. All we can do is evolve to deal with it..

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

What else might they be hiding?

Google is also hiding 90% of the internet and work hand in hand with twitter who hide one hell of a lot of tweets and leave you tweeting to yourself if you go up against fee paying corporations.

Took me hours the other day to find the information need to kill a windows service (WSService) thats locked in the service manager as if i am the only person in the world that ever tried to disable it.

Google has become little more than an index for controlled sources who play by Googles rules and that includes spy scripts all over the sites and not allowing people to say the wrong things.
edit on 8-6-2014 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

Well you know the owner of google is also a bilderbergh member so that is not so surprizing, it is better than IE but only slightly and that is becoming more and more compromized, fire fox is too open to hackers though so there is really not much alternative, I miss netscape.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Arctic Melt Opens Northwest Passage
John Roach
for National Geographic News
September 17, 2007
The famed Northwest Passage—a direct shipping route from Europe to Asia across the Arctic Ocean—is ice free for the first time since satellite records began in 1978, scientists reported Friday.

The passage is a shortcut between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans through the Canadian Arctic. It would save valuable time and fuel for ships that now travel through the Suez Canal in Egypt or the Panama Canal in Central America.

National Geographic

The minute this happened, the area became a major corporate interest to Canada, US, Russian and many others.
Thus, much more military action in that area by everyone concerned. They all have their own Arctic bases, outposts. Years prior to the melt, those bases were used for scientific research, but everyone knew eventually the passage would be open. And, any and all scientific research is somewhat controlled, and answers to the military. And the military is directly related and tied with all corporate interests. Notice I didn't say they (military) control them (corporate interests), but these are the layers of control, with a top we all know none of really see or know, which likely doesn't really even have a name as a group, and if it did, we likely wouldn't know that name, either.

JMHO
tetra
edit on 8-6-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

The ice in lake Superior may not melt this summer.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: elfrog

There is a report from climate depot that there is still snow on the ground beginning of June, in one of the northern USA states, Michigan, I think, need to go through the archive, might take hours.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: elfrog

So the Northwest Passage will be frozen over again?
tetra
edit on 8-6-2014 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join