It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generic Warnings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
This is part question and part statement to express some exasperation.. I received a warning today for a reply I had made in a thread that was expressing frustration at the advertising banners and windows in ATS. I'm not going to link to the original thread as my post has been completely deleted anyways but in my short reply, I had stated a simple fix to the problem would be to switch to a very popular internet browser and install a couple plugins that would block advertising banners and scripts in ads. Next time I logged in, I found that I had received a warning and my post had been deleted and I have no idea what about my post had been against the T&C as the warning I received stated that it was simply a warning based on my activity on this particular thread. It didn't state what particularly caused the infraction or what specific T&C I had violated.

While I have not been a registered member of ATS for very long, I have frequented this site for a good number of years and the fact that I got a warning because of something innocuous (seemingly to me at least) is very upsetting to me, particularly since I have no idea what it was that I had said that caused the warning to be given and therefore, no idea how rectify the issue and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Whether it was the fact that I named the internet browser specifically, or named the couple plugins one could employ if they're tired of being accosted by obnoxious adverts or the fact that in doing so, I may have inadvertently deprived ATS of advertising revenue.. I haven't a clue. I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just trying to understand what the issue was so I can prevent it in the future and to point out that if one doesn't know what specifically they are getting a warning for, one will have no clue how to address the problem and/or learn from it.

Respectfully,

Sonder

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sonder

Per the T&C that all members agree to when they sign up:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thank you for that. I did actually read all the T&C's before I signed up but I probably didn't actually register that part as I wasn't using those plugins at that time.. I'll definitely remember that now.

My point is that without actually knowing what T&C you've violated when you get a warning, it's not that conducive to actually being able to address the issue and make sure it doesn't happen again.
Now that I know, I can guarantee it won't

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

My point is that without actually knowing what T&C you've violated when you get a warning, it's not that conducive to actually being able to address the issue and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I have to say that I agree with you. Too many times I have seen where members have been confused and left wondering exactly what it was that they had done wrong.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

The warnings are generic warnings based on the tool used to remove the post. If Mods were required to send a personalized U2U explaining why the post was removed, we'd be too busy to do anything else.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

...If Mods were required to send a personalized U2U explaining why the post was removed, we'd be too busy to do anything else.

But!!!!! That's what you're paid for...isn't it?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

There has to be a way to tweak the Warning U2U option the mods have so there's a field within it that you can type a few short words about what particularly you've done that's caused a warning. Even something as short and sweet as "Refer to T&C #20 Section B" or something to that effect. That wouldn't take more than a few seconds more then hitting the warning button but it would at least give us some info we can follow up on so we can actually go back and read the particular T&C we've violated.

Respectfully, giving someone a warning really serves no purpose unless the person actually understands what they are being given a warning for. For the record, I think the mods do a fantastic job moderating this site, it's one of the only forums I participate in and that's due in large part to the work the mods do here. Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot or be difficult at all, I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again and make it easier for others who get a warning to understand why and how to address it.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanDash

originally posted by: Zaphod58

...If Mods were required to send a personalized U2U explaining why the post was removed, we'd be too busy to do anything else.

But!!!!! That's what you're paid for...isn't it?

Theyre paid in cookies... off brand Hydrox. Not even name brand Oreos. Cheap bastards!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The automated message includes the name of the mod that gave the warning. If you U2U that person we will be happy to tell you what it was for. It might take a little while, because we're not on here 24/7, but you will get an answer. If not you can feel free to use the complaint button, an another staff member can answer your question.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
...Theyre paid in cookies... off brand Hydrox. Not even name brand Oreos. Cheap bastards!

Ahhh - It's starting to make sense... They're cheap mods.

Been a while since I saw or heard the name "Hydrox".

ETA: Thought I'd add that - I cleaned my IE history & cache last night (twice)...and...have seen the Jeep' ad at the top, once today...but it did not fill my screen.
So - either the site administrators listened to us...and/or got one of the advertisers to mend their evil way/s...or - try cleaning your browser history & cache (best done with the Internet connection shut down - and, a reboot or simply closing the browser and reopening might do, as well).
XFingers CrossedX
edit on 6/5/2014 by WanDash because: Addendum

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash
Nope!
That didn't work, either. Later into the evening, the Jeep' ad returned with the same vengeance as before.
Did find a workaround, though... Click "Close" and immediately scroll down the page (I use the wheel on my wireless mouse). This has worked each time for me.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
We're aware of the ad issue, and it's being worked on.

new topics

top topics

join