It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A military aircraft has crashed in the Imperial Valley.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

According to MCAS Miramar, which is working to gather information on what happened, the aircraft is a Harrier that was stationed at MCAS Yuma.
MCAS Miramar, 3rdMAW @MCASMiramarCA

Harrier f/ #MCAS Yuma crashed in Imperial CA. It impacted civilian structures. No update on injuries. Pilot ejected. More info 2 come.

A military aircraft has crashed in the Imperial Valley.

Looks like a harrier went down, hit one house and the fire is possibly threatening 2 more.
No word on fatalities yet, and the pilot did eject out.

Bummer that it went into a house, hopefully no one was inside.

edit on thWed, 04 Jun 2014 19:53:31 -0500America/Chicago620143180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The Harrier has always been a bit of a widowmaker since it was created. It's been doing well lately, but this makes two crashes in the last few months.

Hopefully everyone on the ground is ok.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Can you imagine one of them coming through your roof? Yikes! I think I'd fear the armament those things carry above all else.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

We had an FB-111 go down out of Pease when we were there. It went through an entire apartment building end to end. Fortunately it was an hour or so before the school kids got home.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

The chances that it was carrying any ordnance is pretty slim considering where it was flying.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
i just spotted this on youtube, i was like OMG how scary is that

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Hope everyone is OK!

Someone is fixing to get paid ...

Just saying...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The aircraft was from MCAS Yuma, in Arizona. It's the second Harrier to crash from that base in just under a month. Another aircraft went down near Gila Bend May 9th. The pilot in that crash was able to eject safely as well.

Authorities in this crash are reporting no injuries on the ground. The pilot was taken to the hospital for observation, which is standard in ejections. It puts a lot of trauma on your spine when you eject, and pilots who do usually spend a day or two in the hospital.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

We had an F18 crash into an apartment last summer in Virginia beach out of NAS Norfolk. And one that went down over the water.
No fatalities in either crash.
edit on AM000000300000000662347302014-06-05T00:47:03-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I remember those. The one that hit the apartments lost an engine on takeoff and IIRC had problems with the other one.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It was all over the news. This is life when you live in Hampton roads. You're always in someones flight path. We're surrounded by bases.I live right outside Langley air force base. The jets fly over my house night and day.

n reply to: Zaphod58

edit on AMu30u0662351302014-06-05T00:51:28-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusSubprime

The chances that it was carrying any ordnance is pretty slim considering where it was flying.

you have the Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range near by so planes can be armed.
www.chocolatemountainrenewal.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

It's a chance you take anywhere in the US with the amount of air travel overhead. There are thousands of flights a day, counting general aviation, business aviation, and commercial flights. Something like 5,000 flights an hour are going overhead.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
About 10pm last night an F-18E attempting to land on the USS Carl Vincent went into the water off the California coast.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I always wondered what happened when that occurs. Do they just leave it? Its not the most advanced aircraft but it has to be carrying sensitive systems that others countries would love to get so as to test their capabilities.

Do they drop mines? Recover it? Leave it?

Has another country ever tried to recover one of our sunk birds? Did they?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It all depends on how deep it is. They'll usually try to recover at least some of it, as part of the accident investigation if they can. Sometimes it's too deep for them to recover any of it.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
About 10pm last night an F-18E attempting to land on the USS Carl Vincent went into the water off the California coast.

I personally think 2 military jets going down in So CA within 24 hours of each other is very odd.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee
Harriers are getting old and you will see the number of accidents like this go up. The Brits have retired or sold theirs to the USMC for parts. I'm guessing that Harrier crashes will continue until the USMC gets their F35's. As for the F18, any night carrier operations is hazardous in the best of conditions. God only knows what went wrong and I hope the crew is OK. Just because they ejected doesn't mean they are unhurt.

The popping that is being heard in the video might be tires exploding from the heat.

edit on 6-6-2014 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join