It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA Calls 'Open Carry' Rallies Scary and "Downright Weird"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Back in the day growing up...

I go a lot farther back in the day than I care to admit and I've lived all over and I've never seen a group of people go into a business brandishing semi-automatic rifles.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

I belong to a gun club. I belong to the NRA, they even sent me a cap. I believe in the right to own guns.....If you aren't a threat to innocent people. I think that this should be dealt with at a community level though, I can see the cops assisting a parent or brother to temporarily take a persons gun away if they are having problems.

The right to bear arms does not give you the right to scare others by brandishing weapons in public though. I side with the NRA on this. People who own guns should be responsible and try to increase well being within society. Gangs are flashing guns around to make others fear them, good responsible citizens should not be doing that. This is about responsibility of living in a society and respecting the rights of others to feel tranquility in their daily life.

I don't do things like that, I do not want my fellow neighbors in the community to fear that I may loose it and shoot someone. Keep the gun present but concealed so others do not fear you. A responsible person can get a concealed weapons permit if they want. The people banishing these guns will cause laws to be passed that restrict our rights. We can't let this happen, we need to show self control.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

I've never seen a group of people go into a business brandishing semi-automatic rifles.

Uh the police do it all the time.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I hate to break it to some.

But people are more likely to get shot by a cop than an average gun owner.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: UnmitigatedDisaster

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I also just want to add to the conversation that I'd be just as perturbed seeing a guy walking around with a big ole machete in his hand or a drawn sword. It's not the gun per see--it's a drawn weapon of any sort. Something to consider. Tucked on a back, or in a holster--who cares. Like you said, waving it around in the air--regardless of what kind of weapon is in the air--is just going to send the wrong message.

Responsibility above all. Guns aren't scary themselves per se. It's just how one wields it and that applies to any weapon even if it's a kitchen knife.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Unfortunately for us we live in a world that relies more on image than fact.

It doesnt matter if a cop is more likely to shoot you than the average gun owner. The image is that cops are good.

Just like how every moron out there is absolutely convinced crime is out of control when factually crime is at historic never before seen lows.

We don't need to know 2+2=4. That's useless in the modern world. We just need to know that if our neighbor has four we are entitled to have 4 as well.

Take this very thread and the others like it. The NRA retracted the statement and still it's being shopped around like breaking news. Even in the MSM is still reporting the retracted statement as just happening. Google News shows one put up just an hour ago with the old info.
edit on 4-6-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

That is until gun owners are allowed to carry their beloved guns everywhere they like.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

That is until gun owners are allowed to carry their beloved guns everywhere they like.

So ?

It is their bodies they get to decide what to do with it.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie

Really?

Right now I can carry lawfully everywhere save court houses, post offices and schools.

So permitting carry in those three additional places will rack up the bodies?

Guncontrol extremists have been crying this "blood int he streets" nonsense since the first carry permit was issued and is has yet to happen.

Wasnt Georgia supposed to drown in blood by now because of the terrifying "guns in bars" bill? Still waiting. All these promises. I've got my boots and waders all set to go trudging through the blood you've promised. Where is it?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Stats like that are irreverent in that scenario. Cops carry a gun their entire shift, of course the risk will be much higher.
If you applied that to say, a pedestrian is more likely to get killed by a car than someone driving a car, it's sort of the same thing, but someone driving the car is more likely to get into an accident or kill someone, because they are with the car most of the time.
If everyone started carrying around a gun, the margin between the cops and everyday citizens will grow in favor towards the cops.

The issue isn't guns, the issue is smart gun ownership, which means NOT carrying a shot gun or a semi-automatic in populated areas.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Do you have a source on that?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Well according to the republicans and tea party candidates that were elected in 2010 you very much do have to show id to vote.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

The issue isn't guns, the issue is smart gun ownership, which means NOT carrying a shot gun or a semi-automatic in populated areas.

'smart ownership' ?

Sorry the mob is not the boss of me.

Especially when they use demagoguery to write superfluous laws that are not needed.

You, my neighbor, the US government has exactly ZERO RIGHT to be telling me, or any American what they can own. or where they get to carry it.

See the first post in this thread about the BILL OF RIGHTS.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Well according to the republicans and tea party candidates that were elected in 2010 you very much do have to show id to vote.

But according to their opposites they don't have to.

So gun owners don't have to.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

So you and the other idiot have no issues with the gun massacres?

You are just fine with anyone being able to get a hold of a gun? After all the insane guy down the street with visions of killing multiple people should not have his right to own a gun infringed upon. NO license , NO training, NO background checks and NO common sense...just let him have his gun and have his spree....as long as his right was not infringed upon.

You don't think that some people should not have a gun?

Thank (the imaginary one)God...you and the other fool don't get your way..other wise...instead of gun massacres..there could be tank slaughters, Bombs going off left and right, Jets firing upon your neighbors or missile attacks In America.

All because you think every sane and insane person should have access to these things..thank god you and the other tool are not in charge.

Common sense are two words not to be used when it comes to you guys.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

The fact is that armed citizens are about 5.5 times less likely than the police to accidentally shoot the wrong person.
link

ETA: I think this may be it but it's not located at the original source so editing may have been possible: link
edit on 4-6-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

About 5000 since 9/11/01.

I will find more detail on this and get back..
Supposedly less americans have been killed by terrorists.

EDIT

Here is a link to back this up.
More Americans Killed By Police Than By Terrorists: With Crime Down, Why Is Police Aggression Up?
edit on 6/4/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

link   

a reply to: strongfp

'smart ownership' ?

Sorry the mob is not the boss of me.

Especially when they use demagoguery to write superfluous laws that are not needed.

You, my neighbor, the US government has exactly ZERO RIGHT to be telling me, or any American what they can own. or where they get to carry it.

See the first post in this thread about the BILL OF RIGHTS.

I am aware of your rights.

But, if you read my earlier thread. You can see I am not against gun ownership.
So there is no need to lash out on me like this, I have an opinion, and suggestions for gun owners to perhaps take into consideration. I am will re-state what I said. I said, earlier, that boasting large guns will put people on edge and into a start of alarm. Considering the fact that the U.S has had a current bad streak when it comes to 'random' shootings.

I am not against open carry, but the U.S isn't Somalia, or, Syria, right now there is no need to open carry such large weapons. What is the point?

link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

A source ?

Average gun owners don't go around killing people.

Need a source for that ?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have no problem whatsoever with responsible people carrying their guns in public. However, some people take it too far and make fools of themselves. It sounds like that is what is happening at these open carry rallies...

Here in Oklahoma, we have concealed and open carry. It was fairly funny when the open carry passed in our state; everyone thought they needed to go out and show off how cool they looked with a gun strapped to themselves. My personal favorite was the woman in walmart running around in super-short gym shorts with a handgun strapped to her leg a la Lara Croft-style while shopping for her groceries. She didn't look cool, she just looked silly. I mean, the short shorts with her booty hanging out were bad enough, but then she goes and draws even more attention to herself by accessorizing her big ole thigh with a handgun?

Then there was also the young man shopping in AutoZone with a handgun - get this - DUCT TAPED to his thigh. I got quite a few chuckles out of that...

But I also don't begrudge anyone the right to look silly, so long as they don't begrudge me the right to laugh at them.

edit on 4-6-2014 by DustbowlDebutante because: add

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join