It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Soldiers: Beware, you are only a hero if you are a right wing christian

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Oh, no worries. I'm all over the place in my views.
I just don't want to be pigeon-holed.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

www.foxnews.com...

www.cnn.com...

Has nothing to do with party or whatever excuse you want to throw out there.

He deserted his post, sought out the Taliban and just by coincidence, attacks by the Taliban became more precise and accurate.

I will take the word of the Military members that were there, reporting he left, were forced to sign NDAs about it over 0bama and his dip$*it puppet Carney any day of the week.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
Who assumed that he was actively fighting against the United States?

The US Military.

You are trying really hard to hate this man, all in order to hate Obama some more...and you ignoring the facts to do so.

1 - I"m not trying to hate anyone. I"m posting facts.
2 - All in order to hate Obama more? Not possible.
3 - I'm not ignoring facts. But it seems that you may be.

Well I'm going to have to see a source on that.

What You Haven't Heard About Bergdahls Desertion

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Like I said, look to your own country and you will see that both countries are doing the same things.

Camp bastion is used as a u.k torture prison why don't you ever talk about that?

Well seeing as this is a USA thread! Id be going off topic if I went into UK things would I not?

But Im not a fan of UK government actions either, and if you bothered to learn to read you would know I'm extremely scathing of my own government and have no love for it or its actions either.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

No, it was extremely effective, just not admissible in a court of law.

May be effective but extremely repugnant and wrong.

How can the USA claim to be the "land of the free" and free from tyrants when you are torturing.
USA has ZERO rights to preach to the world like it does about freedom and human rights when it torture people.

# happens in a war....

And?
Wrong is still wrong

Justifying repugnant action just cause its "war" leads down very very dark path.

They are not legal combatants (POWS), they are illegal combatants (criminals).

OK then they are criminals now, TRY THEM IN A COURT OF LAW.

One minute with your they are POW now they are criminals.

Well if Criminals then try them.

O right you tortured them?

Ok then you need to release them and live with the repercussions of you repugnant Andean unethical actions of torture.
If you cant send them to prison for life were they belong cause you tortured them and they come back and kill you, you only have yourself to blame, tyrannical actions have repercussions.

If you haven't notice Afghanistan has a Government and this group wants to over throw the Government to go back to what they had when they controlled the population by a self guided religion.

And ?
I dont live in Afghanistan I don't five 2 **** whats goes on there.

What this means if you are a female is you become basically an uneducated slave

So?
Your BFF suadi arabia does the same.
But you give them state of the art weapons and buy there oil.
One word

HYPOCRISY

...so defend them all you want and complain about America...

1) I don't support the Taliban
2) I just care that everyone under UK/USA custody is treated with there rights. IE Due process
3)I don't want to see torture and indefinite detention justified. Give a government a inch on things like this and they take a mile and those things moves from a isolated Cuban island to your home turf. Tyranny need to be crushed before its roots take in.
4) Afghanistan may be a billion times worse than the USA yet that does not make the USA or my own UK actions any less wrong in areas such as rendition, torture and indefinite detention.
5) If the USA is willing to inflict tyranny on another country how can it call itself the "land of the Free" or pretend it has moral superiority.
edit on 5-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
[DP
edit on 5-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

"Michelle Malkin"

LOL, oh boy...that is too much.

So an anonymous source from a notorious political hack liar is "facts" to you???

At least I now know where you are operating from.

Seriously....Michelle Malkin....seriously????

The article never said they were ordered to shoot him...the anonymous source said he would have "put him down" because he didn't know his mental state...that is far different then the commanders ordering everyone to shoot him if they see him.

You are creating an alternate story in your head based on the hype and propaganda coming from right wing media.

edit on 5-6-2014 by kruphix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I honestly don't care if he deserted, he was a prisoner and is still a US Soldier and deserved to be rescued. And the soldiers who are talking out aren't from his unit, they are from his battalion...so 6 out of what...300...1000???

Seems funny you do not care about the deaths this guy caused with his desertion, or any future deaths that these freed terrorists will be involved with in the future, so why do you care about one guy who deserted do much?

It is obvious you do not have a clue to just how bad desertion is to any military member, when deaths are involved it is about the worst thing you can do as a soldier.

It is not a right left thing it is a right wrong thing, period, and if Bush did the same thing then it would be on him just the same.

I'm actually writing this post from Afghanistan, so maybe my view is a little closer to home, and your view is from your safe computer room.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So I get the feeling that this story is being reported in a very different way in the US to what it is here in the UK.

Here it's kind of "At last - missing soldier returned back home, relief all round and you can see the emotion and relief on his face when they make the exchange"

In the US it seems it's "Traitor, Muslim convert who's here on a Jihad to kill us all and deserves to be shot because he left his post and jumped into bed with the Taliban"

It seems to me that this guy had some sort of breakdown or decided he could no longer fight in an unjust war or kill in the name of Oil any more, and went wandering off, but I certainly don't have all of the facts.
There's a lot of BS and misinfo/disinfo about at present which makes figuring this out very difficult.

ALSO

It seems as well that this whole "Setting a dangerous precedent" by negotiating with terrorists thing keeps cropping up too, and while I understand that position, It just hasn't worked very well for either side so far.

If it weren't for negotiating with Terrorists, We'd never have stopped the troubles in Northern Ireland with the IRA and we'd still be having bombs going off across the UK.

If it weren't for negotiating with terrorists then there would be no Middle East Peace Process and no chance of ending that awful situation, there may not be but dialogue has to be established and can and hopefully will work.

It seems the US is happy to tell everyone else to make peace and settle differences.... but not willing to attempt to do it themselves, until now.

The war on terror will NEVER be won with weapons... EVER

Only conversation, compromise and negotiation will end it.
That will mean tough decisions, deals and exchanges that are seemingly crossing the line.
You cannot kill a mentality, an ideal.... a difference in outlook on life, you can only agree to work together and to compromise and draw up agreements and boundaries.

edit on 5/6/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

How can the USA claim to be the "land of the free" and free from tyrants when you are torturing.
USA has ZERO rights to preach to the world like it does about freedom and human rights when it torture people.

Your Government agent was standing right next to mine saying "you know bob I think you need a little more water on that towel"

So get off your high holy horse, the world is not how you must think it should be...

Wrong is still wrong

Fog of war is not wrong, it is just a part of war, sorry to say...

Justifying repugnant action just cause its "war" leads down very very dark path.

Of course it does, no war is good and I spent a good number of years over here, and that is not something you need to lecture me on...

OK then they are criminals now, TRY THEM IN A COURT OF LAW.

One minute with your they are POW now they are criminals.

Well if Criminals then try them.

you just do not get it do you...let me try and explain again...

POWs and illegal combatant can be held until the war is over, after the war is when the tribunals happen. If the war goes on for 50 years they ALL can be held for 50 years... get it?

O right you tortured them?

WE tortured them is a better statement... no wait you guys would never do that......

I dont live in Afghanistan I don't five 2 **** whats goes on there.

And you do not live in the USA so why give 2 **** what goes on here, or what we do with guys that enslave their women?

So?
Your BFF suadi arabia does the same.
But you give them state of the art weapons and buy there oil.
One word

HYPOCRISY

Well actually they don't but hey next war you bring the water and towels, ok? We have no BFF like England...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Seems funny you do not care about the deaths this guy caused with his desertion, or any future deaths that these freed terrorists will be involved with in the future, so why do you care about one guy who deserted do much?

Alleged deserter.

And where did I ever say I didn't care about the deaths of the soldiers who went looking for him?

It is a right/left thing...the Right is attempting to use this for more election fodder. 24/7 coverage on right wing media about another manufactured scandal.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Alleged deserter.

Deserter. By his own words.

the Right is attempting to use this for more election fodder.

I haven't seen anything on the tv news about this entering into election politics.
Deflection attempt = fail.

another manufactured scandal.

Benghazi is a real scandal ... our people were left to die and it was lied about.
Bergdhal is a real scandal ... Obama BROKE THE LAW and released the GITMO terrorists.

Partisan much kruphix??

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

If history doesn't fail us we all know that trading one America known deserter for 5 known terrorist will not bring peace and unity to the world.

That is a fact, sad but true.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Alleged deserter.

So picture me this....

After he left a note of desertion... He accidently walked over a 20 foot HESCO barrier with 3 foot razor wire on top, twice....

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

I hope you ask your boss for a raise...and a new playbook. The old one is out of date, inaccurate, and stale.

Bergdahl packed up his personal belongings, and computer, shipped them home before *deserting* his post with his platoon.

Please riddle me this....why did he do those things? Because he KNEW he wasn't coming back to his post with his platoon.

Des

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I'll let the courts decide.

You keep on going on assuming you know everything.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

You keep on going on assuming you know everything.

You keep on going on pretending that Obama breaking the law is a
'manufactured scandal'.
I'll keep on reading the statements made by those who commanded the deserter.
They are much more trustworthy than your buddy Obama.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Your Government agent was standing right next to mine saying "you know bob I think you need a little more water on that towel"

So get off your high holy horse, the world is not how you must think it should be...

Let break this down so you can understand it:
1)This thread is about the USA not UK, start a UK thread and Il be happy to rant and rave about my own government
2) I dont deny UK hands are dirty
3) I dont support my own governments actions, I REFUSE to join the UK military and was too young to vote for the scum that supported such actions.
4) UK doesn't go round calling itself the "land of the Free" when its clearly not.

Fog of war is not wrong, it is just a part of war, sorry to say...

Bull crap.

Tyrants throughout history and rogue militarily commanders have used that!

POWs and illegal combatant can be held until the war is over, after the war is when the tribunals happen. If the war goes on for 50 years they ALL can be held for 50 years... get it?

NO cause I don't recognize the BS term illegal or enemy combatent.

Either they are POW or Criminal and they are being held as neither.

Just cause you buy the BS your government feds you don't mean I do.

And you do not live in the USA so why give 2 **** what goes on here, or what we do with guys that enslave their women?

Because US foreign policy seems to be UK foreign policy....

As you said the UK up to its dirty necks in this too....

Well actually they don't but hey next war you bring the water and towels, ok? We have no BFF like England...

Really?
Cause human rights in Saudi Arabia are pretty piss poor.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Is only one court and that is the military court, he will not see the civilian court as he was active duty when he deserted, the problem is that the president can intervene in his behave or he can be deemed unfit for trial, that will save his sorry deserter butt.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
IMHO I think this issue has been sesationalized by both sides.
I think clouding the real issue.....

I saw the cnn interview with someone who was his friend untile the desertion and lost soldiers looking for him. I considered him to be by far the most credible source. His opinions and facts were logical and right down the center.

First off he said that prior to desertion he was an excellent highly motivated soldier. Not some hack who didn't wanna be there or bum who refused to work.

Then he said that due to some military actions and missions he didn't agree with he became disillusioned.

After that he became isolated started getting wanderlust . (Wanderlust was his CO's word)

Then he asked a CO if he was allowed to take his sensative equipment (rifle night vision goggles exc) when he was off duty. He was told no.

Last we know he deserts his post leaving all his sensitive equipment behind.

Then all hell breaks loose!

Assuming that his CO is the most credible source involved, and I think he is. Then really what happened was this.

A good/great soldier saw some jacked up stuff. Then became disillusioned and kinda snapped and deserted.

Now I don't know if he deserves hero status, but I think the same could happen to anyone. Us regular civilians can never say how we would react to the horrors of war. Maybe we desert. Maybe we curl into the fetal position and beg for our mothers. Maybe we turn into Rambo and save the day.

I think this is more an issue of PTSD and the effects of war on the human mind. All the stuff about him trying to swap sides and fight the Taliban is complete assumptions. None of the people who actually knew him personally think he was swapping sides.

I think there should be 3 real issues we try and take on after this incident.

1: did Obama make a mistake in trading 5 top Taliban for one soldier who snapped and deserted?

2: what did he bergdahl see that made him snap? Maybe a war crime?

3: how can America better deal with the impact of war on the minds of our young soldiers?
edit on 5-6-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join