It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Soldiers: Beware, you are only a hero if you are a right wing christian

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Here is a list from 2002 of violation by the US according to the Geneva Conventions:

Article 4 of the Geneva Convention defines the categories of persons who may be considered as "prisoners of war." According to Article 5, "should any doubt arise as to whether persons, having committed a belligerent act and having fallen into the hands of the enemy, belong to any of the categories enumerated in Article 4, such persons shall enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as their status has been determined by a competent tribunal." No competent tribunal has adjudicated this matter.

US violates Geneva Conven....

At the time of this article there was 16 violations, not sure about now. We will fight a war but the opposing side are not combatants. I guess the viet cong were not combatants.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Whatever you say pudding, you worry about yours and we will worry about ours.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Another theme I am seeing here is that people are upset because Obama released "prisoners".

Maybe that is why I'm not upset...I think Gitmo should have been emptied a long time ago since we are pretty much holding them illegally.

There is a reason they are in a prison outside of the US territory.

We can't keep them locked up forever, try them for something or let them go.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Hey OP, your 'hero' is a DESERTER, whats worse, he DESERTED to the ENEMY
That makes him a scumbag in my book and many other soldier and veteran's eyes

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

Maybe he did desert his post, maybe his dad is a Muslim...but he is still an American soldier and why wouldn't we want to get him back?

Of course we want to get him back. I'd much rather him face the American justice system than the taliban injustice system. However, trading 5 high profile terrorists for him? That's not a good move, especially since he chose to abandon his post and wander into a known area where kidnapping or worse was likely. He chose to put himself at that risk. Should we get him back? Of course. But not the way it was done. To put it lightly, that was a bad trade.

As far as his dad being a Muslim, that's irrelevant. People are free to be whatever religion they want to be.

This alleged deserter needs to face trial. And Obama needs to be held accountable for his reckless presidency. His utterly incompetent, anti-american, anti-constitution, anti-freedom, anti-checks and balances, deceptive, reckless presidency.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The bottom line is that he is an AMERICAN SOLDIER...you would think everyone would be happy that we got him back.

I'll reiterate. I'm glad he's back to face trial. I am outraged that we had to get him back by giving terrorists back their terrorists. Do you have any idea how much danger that puts many more soldier's and civilian's lives in?

Fazl, for example, was the Taliban’s former deputy defense minister and is wanted by the United Nations for his role in massacres targeting Afghan’s Shi’ite Muslim population.

Nabi held several military leadership posts for the Taliban and helped organize the al Qaeda/Taliban militias that fought against U.S. and coalition troops in the first year of the war, according to his Pentagon dossier

www.thedailybeast.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream

An american solider has a specific skin colour

rest of them "arn't" real american, according to republicans anyway.

What an ignorant reply.

Personally, I would vote for Ben Carson (black man) for president if he runs. Dr. Carson is a true American. Unlike Obama. And if you don't support the freedom of the American people, and you conspire to usurp the Constitution, you "arn't" American at all. It just so happens that a lot of democrats fall into that category.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
a reply to: kruphix

c'mon...you haven't been here long, but politically, this is a right-wing website....take it from one of the few liberals that remain here....all the rest have pretty much gone away...my advice?...stick to the all the forums that are non-political

We're not a right wing site.

It seems that way though because the left consistently does some outrageous crap that shocks us and gives us a lot to talk about.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
lol

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
He served more time in Afghanistan than any of us put together...

Really?

If he decided that the cause was no longer worthy he is well within his rights to walk away without notice...

Really?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
If the president was a republican, he would be called a hero.

Hell, he's being called a hero with a democrat as president. Its just that anyone whos calling him a hero right now looks like a complete idiot.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
"5 dangerous terrorists"

Are we sure they were dangerous terrorists, or labeled as such by the government? No trial, no due process, just labeled a terrorist. It was never proven in a court of law that anyone in gitmo is anything, other than Muslim of middle east descent.

no, they were just a couple of guys out for a walk one night, looking to kill some americans.

they don't get to have the constitutional due process in gitmo.

that's why it's in cuba.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

He joined the Taliban and fought against America. R u stupid?

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: FlyersFan

hey FF!!!

I'd be inclined to agree but at the moment I'm with this guy...

Former Guantanamo Bay prosecutor, retired Air Force Colonel Morris Davis, says emotions surrounding the case have quickly overtaken the facts.

"It’s become politicized. It’s not really a question of right and wrong. It’s how you can spin this to support your particular position in the current environment," Davis said.

Utter crap. It IS a question of right and wrong and the wrong is clear. All a trial is going to be, at this point, is a formality.

He urges caution until all the facts are known.

For one, the highly regarded Davis didn't say that. This is the reporter's summary. For two. The facts are known. They are just waiting on the formality of the trial to be presented at which point an inevitable guilty verdict will be reached. (Unless Obama pulls another rabbit out of his hat).

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
dp
edit on 4-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: damwel
John McCain did the same thing when he was a pow and you people wanted to elect him president. Hypocrites.

(Choke, gasp) Now that is too silly--it has to be sarcasm. John McCain was flying a mission when he was shot down and captured...he didn't desert his post and go looking to pal up with the NVA. Utter history failure.

lol. Look how many ignorance inspired stars the poster you were replying to got though.

edit on 5-6-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
"5 dangerous terrorists"

Are we sure they were dangerous terrorists, or labeled as such by the government? No trial, no due process, just labeled a terrorist. It was never proven in a court of law that anyone in gitmo is anything, other than Muslim of middle east descent.

So is your thinking here is, we just went to Cuba built this multi million dollar prison with a 650K soccer field staffed it with military, had CIA, and SF fly all over the world picking muslims up randomly giving it the cool name of rendition, just to fill this facility so we would have trading material for later?

I have a pretty big tinhat but this goes beyond my shade making metal sombrero. The best minds at the pentagon would have never thought of that. In fact Obama is the only one I can think of with that kind of forward thinking ability. He must have had a private call to Bush to get the whole thing started before he got elected.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

There is a reason they are in a prison outside of the US territory.

We can't keep them locked up forever, try them for something or let them go.

There is a reason they are in prison period. None of those 5 are the mythical poor farmer who was picked up and wisked away to Gitmo.

The Taliban are hell bent on fighting us either in Afghanistan or America, this is a 100 year war as far as they are concern, so expect future attacks in Americs as they continue their buildup untouched now. These 5 guys will make sure of it.

edit on 4-6-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
No I like "DEAD" dead ends all conversation I don't need much intel after a while so killed trying to escape is fine,we aren't fighting a national body anyway but a faction of a religion and poverty. That isn't what even qualifies as a conflict that is a police action.
Watch out I am hearing some USAF general recommended TROOPS in eastern Europe,MORE BASES FOR BONZO.
Just remember Progs THIS was your glorious leader at work NOBODY else just OBAMA.

When they draft your daughters to become like ME because it is equality for women to get rank from COMBAT,be sure and comfort yourselves and the FUNERALS AND THE VA that your values have produced THAT victory. The other crap? We'll dismantle this little mess and fix it as we are able.
Unless someone TRIES disarming ,then it will happen a great deal faster and horrendously messier.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Is he an AMERICAN soldier if he leaves his post, renounces his US citizenship, and then fights against America?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
The entire premise of this OP is fallacious, narrow-minded, and divisive. At BEST.
First, let's get one thing clear: Bowe Bergdhal wasn't rescued from anyone, or anything. He deserted his post, and wanted to renounce his citizenship. He wasn't rescued, he was among friends.

Bergdhal was not taken hostage, he sought the Taliban out, in order to fight for them. If that doesn't constitute his being labeled a traitor, and unworthy of "rescue", I don't know what does.

His actions directly resulted in the deaths of six other soldiers; soldiers that were upholding their oath, and serving their country, UNLIKE Bowe Bergdhal.

My feelings on Mr. Bergdhal are that not only should he not have been "rescued" from among his buddies in exchange for FIVE extremely dangerous assets of the Taliban, he should have been left in Afghanistan, and taken out by our forces in battle, like any other enemy combatant (which, is what he is/was).

To the OP, using this event as a means to bash conservative Christians is intellectually dishonest to an amazing degree, and unworthy of serious consideration from your fellow ATS members.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join