It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Soldiers: Beware, you are only a hero if you are a right wing christian

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire
Straw man. Deflection attempt fail. Try again.

HE renounced his citizenship.
HE said he was leaving.
HE sent his personal effects home.
HE walked off post.
HE did that. No one else.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Everyone is talking about his father!

Also we have thousands of practicing Muslims in the army. So his dad's religious beliefs I find a nonissue. It might have helped enable his son. But not all Muslims are terrorists. Not even most. That's like saying all Christians and only Christiana hate gays.

I personally had a buddy that was in Iraq. He said that he saw SOME of his fellow soldiers laugh when a kid ran around a corner... Right into a grenade launchers path.... He told me he wanted in that moment to fire on his comrades and still bothers him.... The death was completely an accident. The guy who fired it didn't laugh, but a few others did.

If bergdahl saw some thing like that.....
edit on 5-6-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
I have to wonder how this platoon treated him, did they treat him different because he was a Muslim?

He and his father were protestant. Obviously what they are now is questionable.

The Family Is/Was Presbyterian

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Thank you! I was born with below average emotions but with an excess of ice cold logic... Yes my relationships suffer! :p

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

An unlawful combatant who is not a national of a neutral State, and who is not a national of a co-belligerent State, retains rights and privileges under the Fourth Geneva Convention so that he must be "treated with humanity and, in case of trial, shall not be deprived of the rights of fair and regular trial".[

Seems that Afghanistan nationals should get trials.

The statement of "in case of trial" means that if there is a trial it should be a fair trial, it does not mean they get a trial anytime soon. During war you can hold someone pretty much the duration of the war, but at some point after the war they will need to be released or given a fair trial based on their status.

The murky part is you can say the "war on terror" and that kind of makes it never ending.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I got an excellent question for everyone.. Might make a thread.

If a guy spends years being a great soldier. Then mentally snaps and deserts, is he a hero or a traitor?

Compared to anyone who hasn't fought a war I say he's a hero.

Compared to those who never stopped fighting. He's a coward.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

But then again, deserting a post is still punishable under the military code.

Actually punishable by death during a time of war...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Years?????

I believe this was his first enlistment go around.

Yeah, that doesn't really apply to this guy.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE
If a guy spends years being a great soldier. Then mentally snaps and deserts, is he a hero or a traitor?.

I posted elsewhere .. this wasn't the first time he walked off duty. Somewhere on one of these threads is the link .... he walked off once before because he was 'bored'. I'll see if I can find the link ... again .....

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

I got an excellent question for everyone.. Might make a thread.

If a guy spends years being a great soldier. Then mentally snaps and deserts, is he a hero or a traitor?

I don't see him as either unless more stuff comes out about aiding and abetting the enemy, so unless that happens he is some delusional guy who will need to answer and most likely pay a price for his actions. Who knows they might find him mentally incompetent due to events leading up to his desertion.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Okay...what if it is later determined that he has a mental condition...a diagnosis such has Schizophrenia?

Or Aspergers? Or Autism?

Would that change any of the minds here?

What if the Army knew and kept him deployed anyways?

Just asking.
edit on 6/5/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

2: what did he bergdahl see that made him snap? Maybe a war crime?

This is what I think, along with the PTSD...

Artemis you have been the most intelligent poster so far!!!

That's why it's going unnoticed!!!
Others have already made up their minds!!!

Peace Artemis!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

My husband served in Desert storm and Desert shield he spend two years in the middle east mostly Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, although he was a soldier active military, his job took him to Saudi Arabia for military business.

He liked very much the people and military from Kuwait, but he always had to walk on glass when it came to respecting their religion specially in Saudi Arabia.

He witness all kind of punishments, I will not go into details as what a country does to its own people is their business.

Also during his trips back and forward he witness death, blood and lots of destruction, in war people tend to lose a bit of humanity in order to cope with chaos.

But is much controversy with the Soldier's father, I have children and I know that some times we can influence our children behavior in more than one way, when it comes to somebody that is mentally or maybe mentally disturbed and away from home it could be dangerous

I also read on some blog that the Soldier before deserting his post, was on some antidepressants or medications.

But speculations runs rampant, so far we only know the basis, soldier leave post, soldier classified AOWL, after 30s he is a deserter, military code of conduct.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Okay...what if it is later determined that he has a mental condition...a diagnosis such has Schizophrenia?

Or Aspergers? Or Autism?

Just asking.

I'll answer.

What many are overlooking is the aspect of personal responsibility.

He was responsible for his actions. All of them. He swore an oath, signed a contract and was expected to complete the mission requirements.

This ideology of "victimhood", that he was not responsible, the he was not accountable, is pervasive in our current society and it needs to find an ending, in my humble opinion.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Or Aspergers? Or Autism?

Just asking.

Of course that would...coming from a military guy..

But I do think that PTSD is used way too much, and it seems everyone has it when it becomes a handy excuse. So a question to ask is how much actual fighting did he see? I don't think everyone realizes that the vast majority that come over here never see any action at all. It takes 90% to support the 10% who are doing the real fight day in and out, was he even one of those to begin with?

It would be interesting to learn from his fellow soldiers what was their mission. That could help put some light on it all.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

what if it is later determined that he has a mental condition...or a diagnosis such has Schizophrenia? Or Aspergers? Or Autism?

If he had aspergers or autism it would have come out in the pre enlistment testing. The medical. The emotional. The ASVAB. It would have been picked up. I suppose it could have been missed. But I kinda doubt it.

I would think it would be very hard to diagnose backwards for Schizophrenia. He may have it now. But I don't think they could say he had it five years ago when he walked off duty ... or 6 or 7 years ago when he walked off the first time. I don't know how to diagnose backwards like that. (unless they could biopsy his brain to maybe see how long he's had it .. but he'd have to be dead to do that)

If they knew - criminal.
If they missed it - negligent.
Neither are things that the family could sue the military for.
If you are in the military ... you can't sue the military.
(or at least that's what the rule used to be. I'm pretty sure it's still in place)

Would mental illness change my mind on this?

It wouldn't change the fact that Obama broke the law. It wouldn't change the fact that he lied and said it was 'an oversight'. It wouldn't change the fact that we negotiated with terrorists and that five were released to go out and kill more.

If they could prove that he was mentally ill when he deserted ... maybe. It would depend on the illness. I can see the father has some 'issues' ... i don't know when those kicked in place ... so there could be something. But again .. I don't know how they can prove it backwards in time that many years.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
But I do think that PTSD is used way too much,

I think the opposite. Its' around way more than people realize and not just with the military. But what I've seen so far doesn't make me believe he was suffering PTSD. He was thinking clearly and wasn't afraid. He had a plan and he put the plan in motion. He actually acted rather fearlessly ... leaving everything .. leaving his post ... walking into 'enemy' territory ... not speaking the language ... I'm not seeing PTSD there. I could be wrong. But I'm not seeing it from here.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I would think it would be very hard to diagnose backwards for Schizophrenia. He may have it now. But I don't think they could say he had it five years ago when he walked off duty ... or 6 or 7 years ago when he walked off the first time. I don't know how to diagnose backwards like that. (unless they could biopsy his brain to maybe see how long he's had it .. but he'd have to be dead to do that)

I have Undifferentiated Schitzophrenia and all they (Military, Doctors etc) could do is go on his word when symptoms began!!!

Peace FF!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Or Aspergers? Or Autism?

Just asking.

That's why I say let's wait to get all the facts.

That was the basis of this thread, it's just disgusting that people are so willing to go on a witch hunt without knowing all the facts.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

If he has PTSD, & all he did was desert...
We can say were lucky it wasn't another on base massacre & suicide!!!
I've had Intrusive Imagery which is one symptom, it's unlivable!!!
I consider myself a strong Mind, I couldn't handle it and checked myself back into hospital straight away!!!

I feel for the troops who died searching for him though!!!

Peace FF!!!
edit on 5-6-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join