It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The SlenderMan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

What's your point though?

I have been a fan of the slenderman mythos for several years now. Its interesting and no different from any other form of fiction. None of the people I talk to about slenderman think he is real. Just like none of the folks with whom I regularly converse about comics think Spiderman is real.

Now, there are folks who say otherwise, obviously, there always will be. That doesn't mean we should not allow fans of the mythos, such as myself, to not enjoy said mythos due to the behavior and claims of others. That would be silly, to say the least.

Slenderman is an interesting myth and that's (probably) all it is.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

Agreed. I can only go back to my Idiocracy comment...stupid people will believe stupid things...and do stupid things.
It's up to more discerning people to root out the truth or else we get bat crap crazies dictating what's true, like the Salem witch trials....or people claiming kids from Sandy Hook were actors or never existed... There's a common denominator in there somewhere.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
I cant believe those girls aged 12, killed a friend, and then blamed it on the slender man. supposedly one of the girls had read something on an online forum, about the slender man. It just blows me away, that parents even let a child grow up, with such disregard for other humans. because really that is what it comes down too, the fact that they didnt care about another human being.

She wasnt killed, she is in a stable condition. Isnt it kinda obvious what has happened? One friend was not right in the head, heard about SM from someone else, read cp's wiki entry on it and something went wrong in her mind. She then convinces another friend to "follow" her in the ways of SM.

Almost like a mini cult.

The parents wouldnt have known; what could they do? They see a site called creepypasta in their history go on it to find a number of entries from horror to modern day. Every article on the site is chosen to be hosted by the owner, not free reign like most wiki sites.

I feel for the child in hospital, the family and the families of the children responsible. Being an ex SA forum goon I remember this popping up years ago and the stories people would make up shortly after it started seeping out onto the net. I loved it all, the creativity of it a birth of a weird community who then decide to go on to write a back story which then spawns a game(s) + minecraft character reference. Big thing from a few photoshoped pictures.

One more tragic event for the books

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: wrkn4livn

Origin of Slender Man: Slender Man began as part of a ‘creepy’ online photoshop contest. The first-ever appearance of Slender Man in the 2009 black-and-white photo was actually created by a photoshop user. The super creepy photo was submitted by a user into a photoshop contest on the Something Awful message boards. After the original photo went viral on the internet, it sparked a fandom that created even more scary photos of the fictional Slender Man. Most of the photos show a tall, slender figure standing in the shadows outdoors, or often in the reflection of windows and mirrors.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Amy Allen is possibly the WORST thing to happen to paranormal research in this century.
She is a television personality, and if she didn't portray herself as the bravest, most knowledgeable person ever on the big bad boogieman nobody would watch the show. Her income would dry up if she didn't make these spirits the scariest thing you could ever imagine.
It makes me wonder who she REALLY works for. TPTB can't convince all people that the spirit world is a figment of their imagination, so Amy comes along and has pictures drawn of what she 'sees'. Good way to get any believers in the paranormal reason to not want anything to do with it!
Why does she never see anything but creatures from horror shows? Because you're SUPPOSED to be afraid of the forces you can't see.....and the more convincing she is, the more $ she rakes in.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I don't know. I think she's kind of credible, as much as anyone doing "work" in that field. Unless she's being fed information and is a complete hoaxer, she does seem to validate what the people she visits are experiencing. I guess one needs to be carful about what they are being told, or sold... We do often want to believe, so it must be true kind of a thing.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well it's all rather an argument in semantics... is it not?

As society and culture progresses - new age brings new lingo?

My mother was born in 53 years ago. Her very first paranormal memory was as a child. Shadow people on the wall.

When my grandfather died, he said, it would be soon because he could see the shadow people.

Now it's slender man - omg it invalidates everyone's personal experiences. No - it doesn't.

CdT

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Slenderman = todays boogeyman, the difference is that we can track his origin to the day.

Anything you see related to him as being marketed as 'real' is from people not realizing he is 100% fictional to begin with, or wanting to purposely spread the idea that he is real.

He's a cool fictional phantasm though, I'd say.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Slender's one of those horror-story people that Lovecraft or Stephen King should have included in their stories. I remember reading a couple years back on the creepypasta website all about his (or its) adventures, and some of them were a bit much (Then again, I got suckered in by The Blair Witch Project for a couple months after the film was out).

It started out as a meme, and then the CreepyPasta scene tried to make him as realistic as possible.

This wouldn't be the first time I've heard of teens believing in him though - In one of my local parks out here, there were a group of 12-14 year olds, all hunting for Slenderman. For me, I wasn't sad that they were out hunting him, but the manner of how they were hunting for him. My guess is that due to a poor economy here in Michigan, Slender has resorted to haunting places in the U.P., all while working the night shift. Due to the decrease in pay, he can no longer haunt the same small city park and children that live there. Also, because his contract states he can only stalk solitary, lost kids, there is no hope that you will find him by calling out his name, in a group, in broad daylight.

As for the people stabbing - clearly, there's something amiss in the kid's brains (I'd even hazard a guess they have as much brains as K.K.). Where I'm puking is that at least it seems to me, when I was a kid my fantasies were much...more realistic
. What's obvious to me though, is that they clearly had no remorse for the stabbing, so I'd rather see them charged as an adult, put away into a padded room, and hope that the victim has a long, healthy, and safe life away from these...well, I'll not disobey the T&C's to call the attackers what I think of them.
-fossilera

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I respectfully disagree. I think Steve backs up (most) everything that Amy sees with historical evidence from past events of the area they investigate, and it seems to always go along with what the current residents are experiencing.

Of course, I'm sure they only air the episodes where she gets it right, but according to what I've read, no psychic/medium gets things right 100% of the time. I believe the percentage is around 80+ percent for most psychics/mediums. It's that other 20% that gives them a bad name when they don't hit the mark.

I like Amy because she tells different ways to abolish the evil forces with particular "hauntings". It's not always a priest, or member of the Christian church that needs to come in; it depends on what type of ritual was done to open the door to allow them in from the beginning.
Sometimes it's a priest that's needed, other times it's a Shaman, or a Warlock, or Witch, or sometimes one can do a simple ritual with smudging and prayer/incantation themselves; it just depends on what's there.

Also, they (Steve and Amy) have had some episodes where Amy told about "good ghosts" lurking around to protect the living residents from the "bad ghosts". I don't think she is trying to "sell evil", but those are the cases they are called to investigate most often because of the type of activity going on.
And, yeah... the people in t.v. land eat it up. I don't put the blame on Amy for this; it's the t.v. producers who need to sell the show, and horror sells big time!

As for Slenderman, I agree that he is a manifestation of our collective consciousness. Maybe we (the public) should be thinking more positive thoughts?

edit on 6/5/2014 by sled735 because: add comment

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
If tuplas are a legit actual thing, why is there no Santa or workshop at the North Pole?

No Santa.................???

Then who the hell brings me all those goodies on Xmas.

My cousin Carl is a slender man?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Sounds real to me. Sounds like the Aristocrats. Did you ever read those stories / jokes? Or, heck, even sounds like Michael Jackson or someone's uncle or a boy scout leader or a rabbi (or priest, but the pedophile rabbis are covered up).

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: wrkn4livnAhhh...creepypasta at its finest.One of my personal favorites,along with "Ted The Caver."

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Where's the borderline between fiction and truth?

That a fictional creation likes this goes viral, means some energy preys on the meme, inhabits it and makes it alive in people's consciousness. It eats attention, and the more it gets, the sooner the meme inhabiting elemental reaches critical mass to become physically real.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Slenderman is just a story, he's fake, nothing real about it, no way, hahaha

It would be pretty cool if he was a real legend, but he's just a fictional monster that some kids believed wanted them to kill another girl by stabbing her 19 times.. 12 year olds... not blaming the "creator" of slenderman but it would be nice if someone - parents? - could explain that things they see online aren't always true...

plus why are there 12 year olds on the computer, i think they should be playing outside and watching 6teen or something, not being all over the internet...

anyway sorry but slenderman isn't real, just an interesting story

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here...... I don't know whether the slender man is a complete myth or based off of some sort of evidence, but i had a personal experience with something resembling this figure.

Upon much research into what i had experienced, the figure i encountered was in fact NOT the slenderman, but something else entirely (much more sinister than than the slenderman stories), however the physical description was very similar to what i had seen.

As far as im concerned, slenderman is a vague description that embodies the physical characteristics of several evil/demonic/other wordly beings. That being said, if someone were to encounter one of these beings, they do some research. The first thing that pops up-slenderman. The discription matches somewhat, and BOOM. The myth continues...

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Richardus

Make Believe...
Is actually reversed and should read Believe It, Make It!!!

Thoughts are powerful...
And what you said is the definition of Make Believe!!!
It's why films are rated 18 or X...
So childish imaginations don't spawn an abomination on us all!!!

Any powerful malevolent spirit can take the form of "Slenderman" in a vision...
Like a Djinn, or a Demon, or a Fallen Angel... Or just a well versed Human who has mastered the Dark Arts!!!

Peace Richard!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Double Post...
Although you should read through it twice to comprehend anyways

Peace everybody!!!
edit on 5-6-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Stated!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

Kind of like Scientology.

Who knows, maybe in 20 years this stupid thing will explode into a scrotum chopping Nike wearing doomsday cult set to ride a comet.

I'm still waiting for the cult of the flying toasters to spring up.

I literally spit my drink on my keyboard when I read this

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
slenderman.....I would be more worried about CaptHowdy...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join