It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The SlenderMan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
So, this has popped up in the MSM.

Apparently stories about this phenomenon have been around for awhile. It reminds me of Amy Allen's description of an inter-dimensional life force that plagues some unfortunate families, usually (it sounds like anyway) attached to specific areas of the earth. They apparently pray on children. Don't know what their motivation is but Amy has said they "feed" on them. She's not sure what they are or where they come from but in her opinion, they are not ghosts or otherwise "human" spirits. Very weird. What in Gods name could this be? Surely not a godly design so why?
Anyone have any more information or first hand experience? I personally do not and wouldn't what any. They sound absolutely horrifying.

en.wikipedia.org...

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: wrkn4livn

It's a meme that sprang up from a contest to photoshop spooky photos on SomethingAwful.

Nothing more, nothing less.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I looked into this 'Slenderman' yesterday.
I had gathered that it is a fictional character whose creation that can be traced to specific posts on the internet.

Now society has 12 y/o girls stabbing their friends and blaming it on their belief that this fictional character is real. Sometimes the internet screws things up for society.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

You posted a link but failed to read it yourself?

The Slender Man (also known as Slenderman) is a fictional character that originated as an Internet meme created by Something Awful forums user Eric Knudsen (a.k.a "Victor Surge") in 2009. It is depicted as resembling a thin, unnaturally tall man with a blank and usually featureless face, wearing a black suit. The Slender Man is commonly said to stalk, abduct, or traumatize people, particularly children.[1] The Slender Man is not tied to any particular story, but appears in many disparate works of fiction, mostly composed online.[2]

Slendermans creation can be traced to a singlular point in internet history. He is 100% fictional.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Murder aside it's kind of neat to watch the growth of superstition and belief from a very deliberately fake creation at a specific point in time to actionable faith.

Kind of like Scientology.

Who knows, maybe in 20 years this stupid thing will explode into a scrotum chopping Nike wearing doomsday cult set to ride a comet.

I'm still waiting for the cult of the flying toasters to spring up.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
My daughter described a graphic dream, in which she said she was raped by slenderman.

Coming from a 10yr old, my heart sank. Reading your thread made my heart sink even further. I only clicked on it because I'd mentioned my daughters openness and honesty about this dream to my mother only a few hrs ago.

Very strange synchronicity.

I'm kinda pissed now!

My initial reaction when she came out with it, well I was gutted and shocked. She was to young to be having those dreams surely? She was not distresed and even mentioned feeling comfortable. I told my partner what she had just came out with and we put it down to her imagination(which is kind of creative) and the slenderman game/app on iPad.

edit on 4-6-2014 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Clyde Lewis did a show on slendy last night. He talked about dark archetypes and the possibility that slenderman has become a tulpa.

We all know about his origins on somethingawful but I think it goes back farther than that. I think the meme associated with the slenderman figure is something ingrained on our collective unconscious.

How do you explain tales such as Der Grossman and other antiquated myths that are wholly similar to the slenderman. We have these YouTube "slendervlogs" filled with bad acting, with the exception to Marble Hornets, yet we still have reports by genuinely terrified individuals regarding the slenderman and his antics.

Der Großman

The “tall man” is generally depicted as an unusually tall (he can grow to different heights; capable of blending in with the trees of a forest) and completely bald figure sporting a business suit with either a red or black tie. He has no eyes, nose, or ears, and has a very wide grin running from one side of his face to the other (or no mouth at all). In some cases he is reported as having a hat, tentacles, or multiple limbs sprouting from his back which he uses to ensnare his prey. What makes Der Großmann so fearful is that his existence is questionable. He may be real…or he may not be. Perhaps the majority who have encountered the tall man have never lived to tell the tale. In fact, fear for slenderman may actually manifest him into your reality-creating a bridge between fact and myth.

Marble Hornets wiki (vlog/ARG)

I, for one, would not be so quick to write off the slenderman meme as mere hijinks and adolescent tomfoolery. It goes back farther than that.
edit on Cam7Wednesday2620143430Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:26:34 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: i hate you, autocorrect

edit on Cam7Wednesday4920145130Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:49:51 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: eta

edit on Cam7Wednesday5720141330Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:57:13 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: eta

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I love the fact that part of this being created was to target conspiracy sites and post hoaxed material on them to the degree to discredit many paranormal topics in general.
And here we are on one of the largest conspiracy sites talking about these idiots that only wanted to damage the study of these topics and ultimately lead to a murder.

Ironic at best.

I say let this one die for the greater good of things!

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I cant believe those girls aged 12, killed a friend, and then blamed it on the slender man. supposedly one of the girls had read something on an online forum, about the slender man. It just blows me away, that parents even let a child grow up, with such disregard for other humans. because really that is what it comes down too, the fact that they didnt care about another human being.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
What does it say about people or the world in 2014 that they can't or won't accept this as the total internet BS that it is?

The Idiocracy is real though...

a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Really!?

Real like Santa Claus, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy. Puh-lease! LoL!

edit on 6/4/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I've watched enough "B" horror movies to know that if you believe in anything hard enough you can bring it to life. Now stare in to a mirror and repeat after me," Slenderman, Slenderman, Slenderman!"

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Sadly, it seems, the more energy that is put into a fictional event, the more reality changes it's shape to fit that fiction into it's paradigm. In other words, as the poster above said, the slender man has possibly become a tulpa, or a reality out of belief.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Here's someone playing Slenderman...Its a lame game IMHO

Same folk doing the game in real life lol
My son did a video like this

*WARNING* some foul language
edit on 6/4/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
If tuplas are a legit actual thing, why is there no Santa or workshop at the North Pole? Why does the Easter bunny not exist? What of god, the devil, aliens, Bigfoot.

There are literally dozens of things in line to become a tulpa before an internet meme does.
edit on 6/4/2014 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

I don't think it's cool at all. It's sick and it only means more crap like this will happen...more basement dwelling keyboard warriors will try their damnedest to concoct the next fantasy/reality bending internet meme to captivate the shallow, stupid, bored masses.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Indeed.

I don't actually recall having ever issued any sort of belief that slendy or Der Großmann were/are "real" but like the modern grey alien phenomena are simply manifestations of certain thoughtforms within the human collective unconscious.

Is it real?

Hell, who knows. Just like the aliens, you just have to make up your own mind. Maybe one day good ol' slenderman will show and do a jig for $20.00... maybe.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Doesnt have anything to do with basement dwellers or the Internet. Fiction and tall tales have inspired people to action since the beginning of human speech.

Fiction has always been a contested artifact. Way back at the writing of The Tale of the Heike people feared fiction being available to everyone would be dangerous for society.

You can't stop people from imagining or creating.

Some people take it too far, sure. But are we really going to all commit ourselves to a national asylum just to prevent a few lunatics from acting out once in a while? I'm not willing to throw away my life or liberty because some psycho acted out a fantasy.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
What does it say about people or the world in 2014 that they can't or won't accept this as the total internet BS that it is?

It's just the logical extension of the seeming need to believe in the paranormal, as evidenced by countless threads on this message board. As we see here, even if the origin of the story can be pinned down to the minute it was first posted on a forum, people still want to believe.

And people wonder why hoaxers and cranks thrive in today's world...

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: thisguyrighthere

Yes, stories have always been around....only now they have an exponential capacity for retelling and come with computer generated fakery to make them more compelling.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Computer generated fakery is compelling but even that isn't required.

See: The Great Moon Hoax

Claiming eyewitness testimony and a simple pencil drawing is plenty enough.

Is it really any different to make a cheap YouTube video of a guy in a suit with a comment underneath of "I saw him!" ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join